1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Artemis 1 29AUG@Cape Canaveral

Discussion in 'General' started by auminer, Aug 12, 2022.

1. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

That's a cool shot.

2. ronin1052

ronin1052 Well-Known Member

No, the LP Mast was fabricated at the Bellingham, WA plant where I worked. No site visits for me:-(
    They had a Field Division which dealt with site installations, and NASA has their own specialty installation contractors besides.

That is a great photo of an LP Mast 'in action'.

3. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Didn't get to dangle on a metal tower 30 stories up in lightning-prone Florida? I guess that isn't exactly a "loss", although full credit to those who do, hence the high status of being a "Pad Rat".

I just nabbed the picture while looking up a site that explained how the system works. I wasn't hanging out at the pad in a storm! Actually, it is frightening how many pictures they have of lightning strikes at the pad. Apparently what you put together works!

Now if you could do something about the woodpeckers and vultures...

4. BigBird

BigBird blah

[​IMG]

lizard84 likes this.
  5. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Weird how the Flat Earth presents a round shape from whatever direction it is photographed. (as does every other large celestial object)

BigBird likes this.
  6. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

The edge-on shots don't come out very good, so they wait until they are face-on to get a nice pic.

7. BigBird

BigBird blah

you can do anything in a movie studio :D

8. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Except remake Blazing Saddles.

auminer and R Acree like this.
  9. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Yea that might “woke” some people.

BigBird likes this.
  10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Meh...they could do it, but it would absolutely not be worth seeing.

BigBird likes this.
  11. auminer

It's twoooo! It's twooooooooo!

R Acree likes this.
  12. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

[​IMG]

BigBird likes this.
  13. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

One move and the non binary minority gets it...:crackup:

14. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Watched a great video by Destin, the Smarter Every Day Youtuber, from a talk he gave at a symposium with many NASA policy makers and Engineers. Did you guys know it's going to take at LEAST 15 fueling rockets to be launched, prior to the main Artemis mission, using cryo fuels that we've never even done in-orbit fueling? The reasons why are a great example how a fear of negative feedback can create a disaster. Worth a watch.

15. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Haven't gotten to that one yet but looking forward to it. I'm still skeptical that it will take that many launches but if so, they're still likely to be done in advance of the crew arriving.

16. auminer

Saw that. The most troubling thing he mentioned was human kind's total experience at cryogenic refueling in orbit.

None.

KISS is an engineering acronym for good reason.

Edit: odds on him ever being invited to speak to NASA again? :D

Edit again: this particular subtopic is the best opportunity ever for this beeb smilie... :rtfrb:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2023
  17. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I watched it. It was shocking. It will take at least that many launches with the current plan. Probably more. The lunar orbit thing seems worse to me. The way I understood it, if they miss the (very small) window leaving the surface of the moon, they will have to wait a week for the mothership to pass by again.

auminer likes this.
  18. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Well, I'm not a Rocket Scientist, so had to look up what Delta V was.....again, how did we get this far down the road without someone calling timeout? Destin does such a great job of being objective, and i think he did the best job a person could to not be judgemental about where we're at. But....you can tell he was baffled. I liked the graphic where he shows how many moon landings for Apollo, and how many for Artemis. And then the other graphic showing how many rockets to accomplish that.:confused:

SteveThompson likes this.
  19. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Yeah that was a fantastic video. I've shared it around a bunch at my work. His "only positive feedback" graphic is incredibly impactful.

20. prm

prm Well-Known Member

The Artemis 2 mission commander is a friend. They’ll get it figured out.