1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best 300cc training track bike for supermoto tracks R3 Ninja

Discussion in 'Tech' started by ibidu1, Dec 17, 2023.

1. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

Need some advice, im looking for a up to 300cc track bike, to run on a supermoto track there limit is 300cc. Theres R3, Ninja 300, cbr 300. Looking for something I can throw a set of hard compound slicks and some race brake pads and have fun in. Im not looking to spend money on fork cartsridges or rear shocks, something out of the box.

2. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

Also suzuki 300cc

3. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Why not a supermoto?

Seriously, get a cheap 150/250/300 dirty bike and rip it up. It all translates but the dirty bikes are FAR more forgiving when you do crash, and cheaper to repair if you do manage to break something.

4. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

Ive never tried supermoto, I do tour on a bmw R1250gs. Thats actually helped me a bunch with rear brake pedal feel. Doesnt SM require a bunch of parts, like wheels gearing etc.

5. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

A stock dirtbike with a set of 'sportsman' tires on stock rims will get you out there turning laps. Find a set of used 17in rims when you can, stock gearing is fine if it's an actual supermoto track, if not sprockets and chain are CHEAP for dirtbikes. Don't sweat brakes/suspension/etc till you're really pushing things AND want to be competitive, for learning and practice the stock motocross setup with 17s will take you REALLY far.

6. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

If you see videos of Sufogloo training on kart tracks (however you spell it) from Turkey. He uses an R3, totally stripped (no fairings) probably geared and it looks fun as hell. That is a cheap way to have fun. He slides the shit out that thing in the videos. Drop that thing and not care, get back up and start ripping again. I think that would be your best bet. You can get the older R3 without the inverted forks for under $2000. At auction like $400. tires, gears, pads and GO!

7. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Longer video

Last edited: Dec 17, 2023
    nowayout likes this.
  8. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Be aware there is a crackdown going on on the r3 type bikes being allowed in kart tracks do to insurance issues especially in California.
    For a supermoto a set of 17s and tires gets you started. Next is upgrade the brakes and then suspension.
    Or buy a stock fs450 or some 450 and be happy forever.

9. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

10. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

I race in the middle east, my buddies in losail many practice on rental (for racers only) 300cc or 400cc ninja with full ohlins suspension and slick tires that the track offers. I do have access to the bikes in losail.

Theres a new track in kuwait KMT (rumor soon to host motogp) they have a special supermoto track. There rules are superbikes up to 300cc, supermoto, and ohvales. The cool thing is, the SM trackdays are at night and the day before the regular trackdays. So I can tow my R6, and a smaller cc bike and have a 2 day fun instead of 1 day on the R6. Plus SM trackdays are much cheaper then the big track, being at night I wont need a hotel.

I dont have experience on lower cc, except for a few times on ohvales, or bucci's. Which is why I asked if any guys ran the ninjas, or R3 Im looking for a cheap setup to just have fun in.

Heres the older 300cc ninjas at losail on the motogp track, they run these bikes also on the karting track a lot of the sbk level guys train there. So they are capable bikes.