1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hot water issue

Discussion in 'General' started by Boman Forklift, Jun 2, 2023.

1. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Seriously? Replace that thing yesterday before bad things happen. Usually in the middle of the night

Britt likes this.
  2. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Meh. Ignore it until it destroys the foundation of the house, then move.

3. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Rog . I have a quote to replace it . O well!

4. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Bold move cotton

beac83 likes this.
  5. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

It's like a Saturday job...if you're slow and thoughtful...and handy with some basic tools.
    How much was the quote? How many gallons?

6. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I second this. I did it and even had to go back and forth to the hardware store because I had to buy a torch to sweat some fittings, which was easy to do. As mentioned you can use sharkbites too.

In my case, 50 gallon gas furnace, I saved $1000-1500 to do it myself. I could do it quicker next time, but probably took 6-7 hours including the time to go back and forth to the hardware store.

7. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

Why would he need a hot water heater? he needs a cold water heater

8. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

$3800 direct vent gas . 50 gal I think. They have a 350 off “coupon” so looking at 3500 installed. I’m pretty handy and generally have the required tools for home and auto projects

9. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'd did mine last year (the 3rd one since I have owned this place for almost 30yrs)...it was whatever the water heater cost @ HomeDepot and a day of time, some PEX and Sharkbites..(my house was built in 1959)..I've replaced all the plumbing over the years..it had that Grey PB crap when I moved in.
    I switched from 50gal down to 40gal, just the two of us here now, no real reason the keep that much hot water on tap, just a waste of gas.

Your biggest pain in the ass will be, Disposing of the old one...take it to a recycle / scrap place.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2023
    Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  10. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Related Q: The water heater here is at one end of the home. The bathroom I use is at the opposite end. It takes quite some time for the hot water to arrive from the heater. A previous owner had installed one of those doo-hickeys that lets the hot water flow into the cold supply, so that in theory, hot water was always there. Reality was it didn't work well, and later had a leak, causing damage.

I see newer models that have an electric pump at the water heater that pushes hot water down the pipe, and a there is a device of some sort at the other end that allows the hot water supply to push into the cold. Do these more modern setups work well? I do like the idea of having the pump on a timer, so it only operates during a defined window.

11. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

^^^this. Oughta get you just about enough cash to buy a six pack of domestic cheap on your way back home.