1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freaking pool pump

Discussion in 'General' started by notbostrom, Dec 2, 2023.

1. aaronson

aaronson Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with rebuilding the motors, they’re only replacing the bearings. The problem you’ll have after that , is the cheap shaft seals sold to the customer. Average life of a rebuilt motor with subpar shaft seals, is two to three years . Usually the seals start to fail and leak water. Most residential pool pumps draw cool air from the front of the motor and push it out the back . The leaking seal will cause the front bearing to fail. I will only use original manufacturer’s seals , never the aftermarket stuff . Also Viton rubber seals are your friend.

2. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Should have called me, but what do I know.

3. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

You aren't getting a Pentair, Hayward, or Jandy VS pump for much less than $1000 now (if at all) at any of the main distributors.

4. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Yah I havent shopped for a pump in 5 years. Prices gone up for sure. Still looks like $700 for non-variable. quick search on craigslist. I would be all over this if I had more time. $25 each. rebuild these and would flip for cash.
    https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/app/d/pool-pumps-25-each/7693789600.html

5. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I have actually had pretty good luck and saved alot of money with the DIY pool repairs. The only thing I really fucked up is I got twisted around on the motor upratings and got an impeller and diffuser for a 1/2HP larger motor than I had so the motors were only lasting about 2 years. 2 motors and a couple start capacitors later I go it figured out though. :crackup:

6. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Wondered when you would chime in. I think the relay in the pos intermatic pe653 got fried when the motor seized. Walked out today and fired up power before I swapped motors and it freaking ran like a champ for 45 minutes then tripped the breaker again. What kind of price can you get on a new pe653?

7. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

People still use those?

8. notbostrom

Not happy about it but I ain't spending 2 grand just to work 2 actuators. What should I be looking at

9. notbostrom

I appear to be back up and running. We had a power surge that might have seized the motor or it was just old and seized anyway motor dead it took out the GFI breaker with it 100 bucks for a breaker and now that I got a name brand AO Smith pump everything seems to be working.

MachineR1 and aaronson like this.
  10. notbostrom

Nevermind new pump only ran for an hour and tripped the breaker FML

11. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

You're 15 minutes away from taking my suggestion. :D

12. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

These are the times that try men's souls.

13. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Time to C4 the pool!

14. racepro171

racepro171 to finish first, first you must finish!

not sure if its been asked
    , but did you try eliminating the power source as the problem? if its 220v, for the cost call up a mobile welder and plug into his power supply if you dont have a generator with 220v or something like this.