1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Geothermal heat pumps

Discussion in 'General' started by Motofun352, Dec 3, 2023.

1. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Not to worry! I have a LOUD-ASS GENERATOR!!!

2. tl1098

tl1098 Well-Known Member

The rising sea levels will keep the roads ice free:D

TurboBlew likes this.
  3. tl1098

tl1098 Well-Known Member

4. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

I would add that if the house is going to stay in the family no matter what, then maybe the long term investment makes sense. It will reduce ownership costs down the road for whoever inherits the house. And I bet it helps with resell if you or your kid(s) do sell it. Sometimes you have to think generationally vs just yourself.

5. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

We have a 4 ton water furnace that is a replacement (2020) of a previous geothermal although I don't know the brand. We have it set so the heat strips (emergency electric heat) will only come on as a last resort which hasn't happened in two years. I've noticed in the dead of winter that the furnace basically never turns off but since it's not calling for emergency heat the cost must be cheaper. Coming from a gas furnace at our old house the new electric bill is usually double our old gas+electric (winter only). We had a 3500 sq ft house and moved to a 2500 sq ft so it was a bit of a shock that the electric bill went up by that much. All I know is that it is $$$ to install and then eventually replace vs a electric/gas furnace. Our electric cost is about 0.13 c/kWh and I do not remember our gas charge although i know it went up by 10-20% after we moved.

6. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

About 15 years ago I thought about installing an outdoor wood furnace...shoulda, woulda, coulda but I bought a new motorcycle instead. :). Here in north central PA the weather is mostly mild though January and February can get so it rarely gets above freezing. Most of the other time it cycles 20 to 40 F. Taking some serious thought about just a plain old heat pump too. If it weren't for the 30% tax rebate the choice would be obvious.

evakat and GRH like this.
  7. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

A lot depends on where you live, how many people and how well built/insulated the house is. His est. looks average family of 4, more to consider tho.
    Both ours have been Water Furnace brand, no problems, in Mid-Atlantic since 2009 on 2nd unit since 2021.
    We have 4 well's at 250'. had 2 coolant spliters coming in house w/the 5 ton,
    now only 1 split with the new kickass 4 ton. Think of it like exhaust systems we were 4 into 2 into 1,, now we're 4 into 1.
    We are 2400 sq ft. 5 ton older unit and it was perfect. Now, after the rebuild he talked us into the 4 ton newer *variable speed*, in a really well insulated/foamed/steel house. Kept the old 5 ton unit in crawl as back-up.
    I thought it (4 ton) would struggle really cold/hot days but I was wrong (he was right) newer shit is efficient. Esp the variable speed and runs the fan 5 min every hour just to keep air moving. You will also want to insulate the fuk outta your ducts if they are in attic, I used fiberboard and lots of spray foam. Or add some better returns/feeds now.
    I wouldn't sweat the hot water option, just get a good propane/gas on demand water heater like Rinnai, we ran a couple extra gas lines for ventless propane heaters like(woodstove looking),, just for aesthetics/more heat if ever needed/power outages. You gotta wood stove as a back up you're good.
    The on demand water is the shit and w/Geo I thought it was just one added pos to break.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2023
  8. tl1098

tl1098 Well-Known Member

If I'm reading this right your first system lasted 12 years and you had to replace it,what was the cost initially and the replacement cost,also what are the average yearly
    maintenance costs? TIA