1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Truck just tried to kill me & dalt

Discussion in 'General' started by Robby-Bobby, Nov 29, 2023.

1. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

lots of utube vids and what to fix on the ford "death wobble".

Last edited: Nov 29, 2023
    CBRRRRR999 and cav115 like this.
  2. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

I have heard Baughn Alignment in Pensacola is the best

3. rogers1323

rogers1323 Well-Known Member

You could spend upwards of $5K if it needs everything. That's a guess, not know labor rates in your area. I don't know how you could make it more expensive without having major issues.

4. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

@Robby-Bobby you are
    Mechanicaly inclined, do you have time to do it? I had one of my mechanics do it on my F250 and then took it for an alignment and I thought it was just some ball joints and a steering stabilizer, I ended up replacing? Pretty sure we picked them up at the local O’Reillys.

It was a few years back, but I don’t even remember it being more than $500?

5. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Yep.

Bad design in the geometry; doesn`t take much to set it off.

6. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Ask Jeep owners about death wobble. Pretty sure they're even worse about it.

cav115 and Pixelator like this.
  7. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Or Harley owners.

SUPER K, cav115, Pixelator and 2 others like this.
  8. swissrcr

swissrcr Active Member

drive shaft middle bearing,or whatever it is called.

9. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Alright so basically what I expected. Every piece was work or out of adjustment. They've been in business for like 50 years and basically only do this stuff so yea I am sure pep boys or other tire shops might be cheaper, but when I pulled in it was the dirtiest and nastiest looking shop with a little office and multiple dirty dudes running around and a lot of trucks in their shop.

So with everything suspension related, and body cab bushings which I knew were on the way out came to $4200 ish.

No, I don't have the time, or the patience right now to do it as this entire week coming up is my biggest event so i really need my truck for track prep and also towing the race trailer around to 3 diffent tracks.

I think I am gonna have to bite the bullet. I didn't ask for a warranty, but is that something to even ask about? Or is it like motorcycle chain and sprockets and fork seals?

10. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

HADDA LAYER DOWN TUH KEEP FRUM CRASHIN!

Pixelator and CBRRRRR999 like this.
  11. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

fixerated

Last edited: Nov 29, 2023
  12. CBRRRRR999

CBRRRRR999 Well-Known Member

First time I drove my Ford after years of Chevy, GMC and Rams I hit a sharp bump and it shocked the piss out of me. Truck had 20k on it. Every coupla years I throw a $100 worth of bushings and parts at it. Takes about two hours if you've got a floor jack and tools.
    Ford does some great stuff but front suspension doesn't seem to be one.
    Glad you guys were ok.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  13. Used2befast

Used2befast Well-Known Member

So my FIL has a 17 F250 super doo doo....he has 80-90k and got a recall notice for it but hasn't experienced this speed wobble. For the price you pay for them trucks I'd be joining the class action suit.

Save your receipts for the work done.

14. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

So.....did you kill it back?

[​IMG]

15. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Safety or shooting glasses...

16. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

As mentioned, sounds like the death wobble. My 17 had it about a year or so in. Ford replaced steering shock and it has been good. After mine was fixed it actually became a recall I believe. That wobble is no joke. I crossed over a seam at about 75 and wheel started to shake violently. Luckily traffic was light and there was room to coast the speed down until I could pull off to the shoulder. I thought for sure a wheel was coming off.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  17. Used2befast

That's a lot of cash for a mom n pop to charge not knowing what the issue is.

Can't tell you not to spend 4 grand but there are dual steering kits for $250-500 that calm things down/front steering wobble.

It's kinda like the brand new 96 gixxer 750 i bought...that thing would tank slap you real quick. I didn't change the whole front end and steering head bearings. I put a stabilizer on it.

18. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Did that brand new GSXR750 have 220,000 miles on it? :rolleyes:

The truck. Has. A quarter. Million. Miles. On it.

The front end components are worn. It’s not a manufacturing defect, it’s not a design flaw, it’s not Elon Musk’s fault. It’s worn components needing replacement.

brex, Banditracer and Robby-Bobby like this.
  19. Used2befast

True. It is high mileage. But shotgun approaches to the wobble from a mom n pop shop tell me they are taking advantage of him.

The F250/350 wobble is a design flaw. Go look at what's worn and slap that dual stabilizer kit on. I've seen reports of brand new 20k F250's (and others with way less than 220k) doing it so how do you answer that one? Can't be worn parts due to mileage.

I just think he is being taken advantage of...that's all.

20. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

did you gloss over the fact that this shop also had multiple other trucks on lifts being worked on which tells me there’s a lot of people in our small town going there.

Also the fact that they’ve been in business over 50 years with social media and anything else they still pumping out work. That tells me more than a dirty floor.

and yea the truck has handled great (at least to me) for the 200k I personally put on it. Up until now.

so for that much hard usage (yes I use my truck like a truck) I’m not mad or cussing ford. I use my truck hard.

pickled egg likes this.