1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Combination washer/dryer?

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Nov 20, 2023.

1. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

They ought to win for the crazy high price

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I remember going one summer and we were there for 30 days, it rained 29 of them. :crackup:

Phl218 likes this.
  3. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

:crackup:

4. wac

wac Well-Known Member

I got one in one of my apartments. Can’t recommend it. No vent to outside creates moist, and the interior ducts gets full of lint . Very hard to clean later . Vids on the tube for that .

motion likes this.
  5. WillMill

WillMill CRA MN #633

False..
    Pre-2018, you would be correct. They did a redesign in 2018, and they were terrible. I think that they have improved again, but if buying used, do not buy a Speed Queen from 2018.

6. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Reliable; plus you can get parts for them years later, if they do wear something out. Ask any appliance repair technician what brand of washer and dryer they recommend.

7. 27

27 Well-Known Member

anytime I read SpeedQueen I remember using the local laundry mat to thaw out our hands and feet between snow fights and forts they had huge 18” vents that came out of the wall at kid level… it was so great because “back in my day” it snowed before tday and stayed until Easter… I still hate the north! :)

Boman Forklift likes this.
  8. DJ Baker

DJ Baker Well-Known Member

My landlords are from Germany, so I'm still using one of those tiny old German washers and a clothes line. Fortunately, the weather is usually good enough here that it's not really a problem.

A friend of mine that lives East of Cologne says it only rains there twice a week. Once for four days, and once for three days.

YamahaRick, Phl218 and Boman Forklift like this.
  9. 27

27 Well-Known Member

I haven’t spent much time in Germany, few days ant a time usually, and didn’t know it was like England and Ireland with constant rain… it’s like that all the time?

10. Phl218

Phl218 .

no, only when it rains.

11. 27

27 Well-Known Member

your sense of humor really makes me think I’d like it there… will have to schedule a revisit in the rainy season

12. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

The non venting dryer thing is my biggest concern. I live in a dry climate, but the laundry room is fairly small.

13. Phl218

Phl218 .

there is no bad weather, only insufficient clothing choices.

Once a Wanker.. and 27 like this.
  14. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Das ist Wahr!!

27 and Phl218 like this.
  15. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

The vent is condensed then down the drain as the air recycles. Thus the extended dry times. If they could cool the condensing area dry time would drop (as would effiiciency)

16. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I love a stacked W/D combo, being single. My last one was a new Whirlpool model that worked great and convinced me of their worth. The place I’m in now has an older Frigidaire model that is mediocre, at best. If I’m spending my money, I’m buying Speed Queen, without a second thought.

Someone mentioned washing bedding. Comforters should always be taken to a laundromat, so they can be properly washed in an oversized machine. Cramming them into a top-load doesn’t actually wash and rinse them.