1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Michigan's Grattan Raceway up for sale"

Discussion in 'General' started by Once a Wanker.., Nov 9, 2023.

1. 27

27 Well-Known Member

IMG_0744.jpeg

IMG_1185.jpeg

All those years and all those miles I hardly have any pics of all of us… this is probably my favorite from the last IndyGP... thanks for the memories LD
    IMG_3285.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Goldberg, Kramer, me, Bill Sweeny IMG_3224.jpeg

3. 27

27 Well-Known Member

didn’t you guys put someone’s racebike in the shower? Seems like it was a Shocker prank…

4. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Yes, motorcycles were raped in the prison shower.

5. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

6. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Yeah, Jim still gets on here a bit…we were talking engine tech in that fuel thread… his 4&6 shop was a force back in the day… beating the factories and helping the privateers… good guy…

the pic of us at Indy is Joe Gill in the hat… he had the 4&6 semi truck team in the late 90s.. then going CCW as it’s the most fun ;)… Joel Kowalski, a mc dealer and good guy… Robert Jensen in blue… me in the corner… and Larry in Red… that was after not seeing each other for a decade or so we all got together for the last IndyGP… I was working with all things Indy related at the time and had VIP Indy mile suite passes and once we started bench racing and visiting we didn’t even go to the flat track… great fun for all of us as seen by our goofy grins :D

Last edited: Nov 17, 2023
  7. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Yeah...he messaged me, as we weren't sure who was who.

27 likes this.
  8. 27

27 Well-Known Member

RM did that to to me this week… you guys need to keep up :Poke: :D

9. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

Oh Grattan...

Earlier this year it started raining in the bus stop while I was helping with STT. No warning at all from the corner worker. (he got bounced by the EOD).. Anyway, I got to show my rider group how to fall off a motorcycle. I think they were impressed.

Racing this track rules though.

DERP.jpg

MrGooch, Mike Fennell and 27 like this.
  10. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Aw, you could have saved that.....just need to get your elbow on the ground and PUSH!

27 likes this.
  11. 27

27 Well-Known Member

oh shit… he’s crashing?!? Back in our day we just pushed the front like that… :D every corner every lap :crackup:

isn’t that how you guys did it in the 80s too?!? :D

kids these days :p

12. Mike Fennell

Mike Fennell Never Was

Larry Goldberg? From Mid-Atlantic area?

13. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Getting a holeshot on me at the start of an endurance was nothing to brag about. I hated running the first stint. I was at my best when the bike was warmed up the tires were good and sticky and all of the red mist warriors had crashed out already. I loved finding the guy that was going just a little faster than me and then dicing with them for the session.

14. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

I don't think that was an endurance, as I never rode my own bikes in anything but sprints. Pretty sure that was B production or something. I think this was the weekend I got my head run over and ended up at Methodist.

15. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Listen man...you should see the tires we rode on back then. You really couldn't push the front, as there wasn't enough margin for error. Maybe on slicks in the later part of the 80's, but it wasn't until the early 90's where I recall us having DOT's that would handle that.

27 likes this.
  16. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Looks like B Production at IRP in about 85. I don't see me in that pic, 119, but would have been on my FJ600 if I was in it. I didn't often bump up to B.

17. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

I thought you were on your FJ in that pic....my eyes are getting old!

18. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

19. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Rebuilt a Polaris 2 stroke 600 twin snowmobile engine in room 6 of the Club 51 Motel in Mercer Wisconsin 30 years ago. That 2 smoke smell was there for years after :D
    The owner loved us though. She would go to bed around midnight, leaving us (8 people) in command of the bar. We just wrote down what we had and paid her the next day! "Lock the door boys"

Scotty, have you spent any time on a snowmobile?

20. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

After IRP or Putnam it was usually dinner at the Coachmen and then an obligatory stop at Brad’s Gold.

There was a janky motel right across the street and I swear I remember someone pulling their bike in the room to keep it from getting g stolen