1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

vehicle extended warranty .. anyone do em?

Discussion in 'General' started by MELK-MAN, Nov 3, 2023.

1. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

im just here for this LOL

MELK-MAN likes this.
  2. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Salesman: "This is the best car/truck ever made and it will survive a nucular holocaust!"

Financing Department: "You need an extended warranty because this piece of shit won't make it out of the parking lot without needing a complete power train replacement and suspension rebuild!"

3. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

i could have bought one when i purchased it through ford, from dealer. bud couldn't comprehend why i'd put the money up front, on a brand new truck, when it would be years before the factory warranty ran out..

4. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

And cover the sales fees and advertising which on car warranties is large.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  5. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

When I got my Ridgeline last year, a Honda dealer in Maryland offered an 8 year, 120K full warranty for $1250. I bought it.

cha0s#242 and MELK-MAN like this.
  6. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

That's because you probably won't ever need it. Good deal.

cha0s#242 likes this.
  7. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I wasn't really worried about the drive train, it's all the electronic crap on them now. Any of that stuff goes down and your into $1,000's to repair.

8. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

How much does it cost to have IP dialers in Shitholistan with an AI voice recognition backend dialing every 10-digit number combination multiple times daily?

9. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I ask because I bought the factory extended warranty from ford when my truck was just out of warranty and paid $4k on my f250 6.7

MELK-MAN likes this.
  10. BC

BC Well-Known Member

If they are hitting you for $7k I'd spend that towards deleting it.

Your if Florida so no emissions BS and that's the majority of the problems with these trucks. Transmission are bulletproof .

MELK-MAN likes this.
  11. John Branch

John Branch 90125

My 2001 ford lightning the extended warranty paid for itself. Our 2017 Ford explorer we did not get our moneys worth. Toss up :flag:

MELK-MAN likes this.
  12. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I'm with the "take that money and put it in an
    investment account" (I'd go with Fidelity).
    If you buy the insurance you lose big time
    if you have no problems, bet on yourself
    and take good care of the truck.

sheepofblue and MELK-MAN like this.
  13. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

What I've learned from this thread....if you buy a Ford truck, go for the extended warranty:rolleyes:

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  14. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

I bought the factory extended warranty through Ford, 2019 F250 diesel. I bought it about 2 years after purchase, they called me asking if I wanted it. I did, so I paid 2500 for it. Not sure how that shakes out for everyone price wise, but I had a transmission issue that required dropping the whole transmission. Warranty paid for itself in that single use. 100 bucks deductible and they would have charged around 3k for the work. I plan to delete when the warranty is up because my location doesn't have emissions testing or requirements but until that day I'll keep the warranty and emissions gear in case I need it.

Once a Wanker.., wsmc42 and MELK-MAN like this.
  15. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

i'm gonna call the dealership where i bought the truck and see what they offer. the offer i got via email was from "Assurant vehicle care"

i am considering it, but most shops won't do it as they can get hit with big fines if caught. the diesel shops i've worked with in past won't do it. some techs will do on side off shop hours.

16. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

I wonder if it depends on the aftermarket company and the dealer. When I bought my 17 superduty new from Sunrise Ford, they sold me a 100,000 mile warranty from Portfolio. I think it was about $3k. Before closing the deal I asked about a factory extended warranty instead. They told me the dealership had better luck with Portfolio paying on claims and the the Ford extended warranty had been denying some claims for stupid reasons. The ford policy was going to be around $4500 so I decided to go with what the dealer recommended. I had 2 claims that went through Sunrise and zero problem getting Portfolio to pay. $50 deductible per visit even if multiple items. One was sunroof tracks and the other was steering stabilizer iirc. (before it became a recall).

MELK-MAN and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  17. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Man all the emissions crap on new diesels is super expensive to fix and it seems like eventually they all fail. If you can't/won't delete it's a pretty decent gamble either way as to if you'll need it.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  18. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

The new Pete I just bought....the extended warranty has an additional upcharge just for the emissions.

You're kinda fucked though. If you get rid of it there's a good amount of states you'll never sell your used truck in. There's also a good chunk of mechanic shops that won't touch it

MELK-MAN likes this.
  19. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

Shop around and check forums, you don’t need to buy the warranty from the dealer you bought your truck. I bought a ‘15 F150 and knew, because it was a fresh remodel, that there would probably be teething issues so I paid $1400 for 6 yrs/120k miles. It paid for itself with 2 panoramic sunroofs and a fuel pump.

MELK-MAN and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  20. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

This. So far I have been able to find them from a volume dealer that had a pretty significant discount on my last couple of vehicles. Paid at least 3x over on two cars, zero claims on one although I only drove it 15k in seven years. I think the solution is going out now, I think the slave cylinder is going out now, which is perfect since the warranty expired in April.