1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bio Diesel ?

Discussion in 'General' started by noobinacan, Nov 2, 2023.

1. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

My old 7.3's like the stuff. I don't run it much, but it gets quieter when I do. on older motors, I think it's like running a good cleaner through the system. It'll clean everything from the tank to the injectors. If you have trash in the tank, it's getting set free to go through the system.

I've always been told that the newer motors don't respond well. Also, the higher amount of Bio, like others said, the warmer it needs to be. Running B20 in freezing weather will leave you stuck.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

So it sounds like if you're buying diesel you're getting a percentage of "fryer diesel" no matter what, correct?

Okay, unrelated to road diesel what about farm diesel? I understand the dyed and road use rules but if you're using diesel in your farm vehicles does it also have bio diesel in it?

3. cincigp

cincigp Well-Known Member

Up to 5% on the road whether you want it or not. Not sure about off road other than there are no limits on the sulphur content.

4. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

5. stickboy274

Oh, and my ideal daily driver would be a diesel hybrid Transit Connect. With no modern emissions crap.

6. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I almost took pictures. It definitely said contains over 20% bio on the ARCO, Union 76 and Chevron stations. The Chevron station even has a separate fuel island with a bunch of duel pumps so you can fill both diesel tanks at the same time on the big rigs.
    The other truck stop, the sign said B20 and the sticker on the pump said 5-20% bio.

**EDIT**

Just pulled this up on Union 76 diesel. https://www.google.com/search?q=uni...CDQ0MzhqMGo3qAIAsAIA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

76® Renewable Diesel is diesel fuel that is made from 100% renewable sources (vegetable oils and fats) that undergo chemical processing to make renewable diesel fuel.

Arco claims their renewable is better than regular BioDiesel?
    https://www.arco.com/en-us/southwest/renewablediesel

Chevron https://www.chevronwithtechron.com/en_us/home/renewable-diesel-blend.html

Chevron Renewable Diesel Blend is a diesel fuel that is made with at least 80% renewable diesel and up to 20% biodiesel, with no more than 1% conventional petroleum diesel. Primarily made from renewable resources, Chevron Renewable Diesel Blend provides a lower life cycle carbon intensity than conventional petroleum diesel under California’s Low Carbon Fuel Standard. Chevron Renewable Diesel Blend meets or exceeds industry standards and conforms with ASTM* D7467.

Since the product contains between 6% and 20% biodiesel, California requires that the official name include Biodiesel B20. As such, labels near product prices (e.g., price signs, dispenser IDs) will identify the product as "Renewable Biodiesel B20." The product is also commonly called R80-B20.

According to the California Air Resources Board as of Q1 2022, renewable and biodiesel made up 43% of all diesel sales in California.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2023
    YamahaRick likes this.
  7. rogers1323

rogers1323 Well-Known Member

The explanation I got, specifically for the 6.0, was about lubricating the injector. The switch to ULSD (Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel) was killing injectors. They were originally designed to be fuel lubricated by the Low Sulfur Diesel (specifically the sulfur content) and the fuel switch caused issues. The motors designed after about 2007 should be less susceptible to that since ULSD was the standard by the time they were designed and built.

8. cincigp

cincigp Well-Known Member

9. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting all that info, although now, I'm more confused than ever. All I know for sure is that my F350 (6.7L) has a metal sticker on the side of it that says it's OK for up to B20.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  10. Boman Forklift

LOLOL. Before today, I didn't realize all this stuff either and I live here where this renewable stuff is happening?

I is be conflused tooooo!!:D

11. stickboy274

Your coast is trying to make all motors run bad and cause failures. It makes Battery cars seem more attractive.

12. Boman Forklift

I can't disagree with that. My wife just bought herself an electric car last weekend, so now she will get to use the carpool lane when going to work. I get to install the charger this weekend.

13. brex

brex Well-Known Member

You should pull up to the house with a Dodge Charger and do the, "oh, this isn't what you meant?" thing.

auminer likes this.
  14. stickboy274

Full Electric won't work for me right now, but I did test drive that Toyota hybrid. I wanted it bad, but it was too nice to be carrying tires and MTBs in it.

15. Boman Forklift

Which one, the new Prius? I actually read the current Toyota Corolla hybrid uses the complete drivetrain out of the last generation 2022 Prius. The Corolla gets 53 city/46HWY and starts off at $23k. That seems like one heck of a bargain to me.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2023
  16. stickboy274

Don't make fun, the Sienna. I'm replacing my Connect

17. Boman Forklift

It gets 35/36MPG and goes 600 on a tank. That mileage is pretty incredible on a mini van. Our 96 Grand Caravan only got 14-18, driving around here. I think it did hit 20 once going to N. Cal.

18. stickboy274

That's what I was looking for. As a guy that drives a lot, that was shaping up to be the right choice. The problem came when my wife explained dirty MTBs and 50 tires going into a nice car, not a panel van like I was replacing. I get 29 from the connect, so I got another used one of those. It was also $20k cheaper than a new Toyota. That's a lot of gas money.

YamahaRick and Boman Forklift like this.
  19. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

I have absolutely ZERO desire for an electric car or even a hybrid of any kind, brand, model, etc. Our country's electrical infrastructure, at this point in time can barely support the existence of extremely warm summers and excessively cold winters, much less millions and millions of electric car/truck recharging. We've still got a long way to go before battery technology and the U.S. electrical grid can support that type of overuse without brownouts/blackout as common as fleas on a dog. It may happen in my lifetime (I'm getting ready to turn 69 years old in a few days), but likely, by the time it does, my transportation will be an electric wheelchair in a nursing home. LOL!

20. stickboy274

The hybrid I was looking at, doesn't plug in.

BrentA likes this.