1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pop Up Toy Haulers? Anyone have one?

Discussion in 'General' started by zracer196, Oct 8, 2011.

1. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Well that fucking sucks. There has to be someone...maybe even taking it by a dealer...slide a guy a nice tip

2. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

He's been working a lot of angles. From what I've seen, it works fine like it is, but it has options, built in already, that would make it better.

3. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

I imagine these would be similar to converting a school bus for highway use. Most are likely built with a high rate of gear reduction in their standard differential, as they are primarily used for in-town transportation.

4. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

To be able to cruise comfortably at 65-70 would be plenty, IMO...75 would be icing on the cake

5. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I would be totally cool with this little rig. My son and I could chill in this, and it would be great to take out west myself. But I doubt I could fit two SV's and all my gear in the bed of a Ridgeline.

[​IMG]picture upload website

6. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

How much do those first pop ups weigh, with the small trailer section? What I like about those for your situation is the lack of wind resistance. In my experience the wind resistance is what really made it difficult to tow with smaller vehicles.

7. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

They're only around 1500 pounds. I showed it to my son and he said let's stick with hotels :D

Boman Forklift likes this.
  8. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I'm like you, I would rather camp at the track versus going to a hotel. Having said that, I remember one time at a WERA Miller event it was blowing and raining hard the the tent was blowing over onto us and and partially collapsing. Sometime after that, I ended up buying a toyhauler. LOLOL

rd400racer likes this.
  9. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I think the lightweight 6x12 route is your best bet. After the kids got older I sold my 8.5x20 ATC toy haulder and bought this 2010 aluminum trailer, insulated it really well, installed a basic portable AC unit, run some NOCO plugs (didn't need a fancy breaker box or anything), and it's perfect for just me, which is what 99% of my track excursions look like nowadays.

I tow it with my wife's V6 Tacoma and fully loaded it's probably around 2,500 lbs. and all-in I'm at probably less than $7K even after refurbishments/add-ons. No white-knuckle breaking.

Here's a few old pics of the build:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/kzZQkmg1Sr57xuu57

Hell, there's a couple REAL good deals in the WERA classifieds right now.......

2014 American Hauler "All Aluminum" 7x16 enclosed trailer - $7,500 | 13x Forums
    2012 Wells Cargo FastTrac 6x12 V-Nose Custom Toy Hauler | 13x Forums
    2020 Covered Wagon 7x12 plus 2 v-nose, built | 13x Forums

10. Pants Romano

Pants Romano Well-Known Member

I like the way you built out your enclosed trailer. I used the same insulation in my build, and it was really easy to work with.

What air conditioner did you use in the nose? Sufficient cooling for the space?

11. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

When we sold our 46' trailer, we built out a 24' with an extra foot of height added. We insulated the whole thing. Put a loft bed, so that we had a bunch storage below. Put a big dorm style fridge. microwave, water heater, fresh water tank, 3'x3' shower. 12v and 110 lights. 36" tv with DVD and wifi for streaming. Climate control is done by an nice inverter style mini split. Since then, we've added an air fryer, ice maker and mini game system that has all the old school games. We have a fan to move the heat/AC from the front, to the back.

Since we needed most of the space for tires, we built all that in about 8.5' x 8.5' space. On the front of the trailer, we built a rack that holds a generator that can run everything while driving down the road, the outside unit for the mini split, a gas compressor, all cord and cables we need to get power at tracks, and a 15g gas tank to keep the generator going at tracks with no power.

It's way easier than our 46' to drive around. I can eat at places that aren't truck stops, and I can make a good meal. But that 46' did look bitchin' when it was set up.

Once a Wanker.. and rd400racer like this.