1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way to save weight

Discussion in 'Tech' started by RichMangus, Oct 23, 2023.

1. RichMangus

RichMangus Booya

Looking at a few thing on a trackbike / zx6r Superstock 600 build. I was looking at what I could do for weight saving / performance. I was checking of changing the battery and/or lighter sub frame.

Currently it has just the basics -
    Full exhaust (removed emissions)
    Block offs
    Armor bodies
    Rectifier relocation
    Probolts for required bolt wiring
    Woodxraft rearset
    Fuel cap to vortex

Last edited: Oct 23, 2023
  2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

you could change out the cushdrive studs & nuts to Ti... good for a 1/2 lb
    limit the fuel load
    ditch the keyed gas cap

3. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Obviously don't know you but for alot of guy's it's go on a diet. :crackup:

4. RichMangus

RichMangus Booya

Thanks I didn't thing of those studs

5. RichMangus

RichMangus Booya

Yea working on that for sure

6. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Do the battery for sure. You didn't mention the chain & sprockets which is another good place if you have not gone down to a 520 already.

7. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

are aftermarket subframes SS legal?

8. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

That's usually the part that most try to avoid lol.

Spend a couple hundred on a gym membership and lose 20-30 lbs, or spend a couple thousand dollars and lose a 2-3 lbs :D

9. RichMangus

RichMangus Booya

Yes I did the sprockets already

Gym membership helps on the agility plus weight lost

10. BrentA

BrentA Very expensive.

CF wheels.

Phl218 likes this.
  11. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Race wire harness, lightened rear rotor, go to a superbike tail with foam instead of stock seat. I swap out the subframe and fairing stay (DB holders) for a couple pounds weight loss. And yah, diet. You should ideally be 170lbs max for 600cc. My goal is 185.

12. racepro171

racepro171 to finish first, first you must finish!

you can get crazy and get ti axles or, ive had 7075 alum ones made for me, the zx has massive lock nuts on the engine mounts, toss those and get the threaded mounts made from alum, fill the bike with TI, ive also cut out all the rubber inside the frame and swingarm on 1 bike.

13. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

14. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Chef's salad. Lots of them

Boman Forklift and RichMangus like this.
  15. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

About the only thing that makes sense from a $ per pound perspective is switching to a lithium battery when your lead acid dies. This is assuming you're doing track days or mid pack club racer.

RichMangus and Boman Forklift like this.
  16. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

Well, you used the word "performance" so I can't ignore what others have already answered on this question: reduce your weight. I'll throw in: improve your riding ability.

You may not get your weight down to that of a 14-18yo but, with using those kids as living examples, their lighter weight and fast-learning make them on any bike, easily 5 seconds faster than a typical rider on a 120hp 600. That gap increases when said kid masters riding a STOCK 600 or twin.

Not bashing on the OP. Just saying... The bike's weight seldom is the performance issue. Yes? I mean, I'd like to blame my too-low rearsets or my tires right now. :)

Anyhow, the only item I see worth a bother is the amount of fuel you're carrying. Gas is 6lbs a gallon, with a high center of gravity, so that's significant.

KneeDragger_c69 and RichMangus like this.
  17. RoidRageFool

RoidRageFool @FundedByWifeRacing

Couldn't do a whole lot more to lose the weight on the bike this year as the cost increased substantially to lose a pound or two. So instead, I lost 30 pounds of bodyweight over the season. It helped quite a bit.

18. RichMangus

RichMangus Booya

Diet and better health is always on going

19. RoidRageFool

RoidRageFool @FundedByWifeRacing

I have two ZX-6R's built and am working on a 3rd. If there is something in particular you want to know, just send me a PM.

RichMangus likes this.
  20. nowayout

nowayout Well-Known Member

Hot Yoga for the win. Lose weight and hang with hot hicks