1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

308 piece Craftsman tool set for $219

Discussion in 'General' started by auminer, Oct 22, 2023.

1. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

2. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

One of the reviewers said it was great until he needed a 10mm socket, what did he expect?...

3. craig641

craig641 Well-Known Member

Just be aware these are the made in China craftsman tools. Not the made in the US version. If you don't care about that you might as well get the harbor freight or lowe s brand kobalt tools for less money.

RichMangus likes this.
  4. 27

27 Well-Known Member

I have my original set from my 13th Bday… I still have a bunch of ratchet rebuild kits too for when I put a 3’ pipe on the end of them and snap the gears :) the local store saw me a few times a month in my youth and they just sent kits home with me when rebuilding mine.. the 80s were a different time for sure… some things like hand tools were definitely better…

5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

They were being made in America again, I bought a set in the past 6 months, but didn’t realize they are shutting down again?
    https://toolguyd.com/craftsman-hand-tools-factory-texas-closing-2023/

6. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

Do you still get the lifetime guarantee if it breaks? I know people that use to go to flea markets and look for craftsman tools since they were guaranteed for life.I don't think Ive ever had one single snap on tool.Husky,and Craftsman tools.

27 likes this.
  7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I still have most of the pieces from the starter set I got in 1971. It didn't have any metric sockets, those were added later.

27 likes this.
  8. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Anyone know if they recently made sockets/ratchets in the US?

9. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

From my experience, yes. The two Sears stores closest to me are closed, but Lowes handles Craftsman. I actually had a 10mm socket that was so worn it wasn't gripping. They replaced it.

BigBird, 27 and ToofPic like this.
  10. Johnny B

I got mine around then, too. You and I are probably the only ones with a full set of non metric tools.

27 likes this.
  11. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

That's because they didn't have metric tools in the 1800s:crackup:

12. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

Cause we worked on American iron

or British shit with whitworth sizes !

Remember when you had to adjust the primary chain before you adjusted the final drive ?

Story here about why Englishmen drink their beer warm …

Last edited: Oct 22, 2023
    jksoft likes this.
  13. 27

27 Well-Known Member

My first set I mentioned is standard only… it was just 1/2, 3/8, and 1/4 drive, 6 and 12 point sockets from 7/8 to 1/4, open end wrenches the same, and some screw drivers, but all I needed and had at the time as a teen… I saved up and bought a set with both std and metric as the 80s domestic cars switched.

amazingly I learned what a couple of odd looking 8 pointed sockets that I’ve had for 40 years were for just last month… I’ve always seen them but never knew they were for square headed bolts like the locking set screws on pulleys… 40 years it took me… thus rationalizing keeping them in my toolbox all this time :) I was re-stringing the trailer door/springs/pulleys/cables on my oldest enclosed trailer from 97…

14. tawzx12r

tawzx12r Influencer to none

I have this set. Not something I would buy if I was using them to make a living with but they work great for a home owner.
    The trays are cheap flimsy plastic but again fine for a home owner.

15. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Junk

If you have a local Snap-on dealer, they carry blue-point, their economy line. Good stuff.

16. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Yeah, the target market isn't a motogp team or a diesel mechanic... but for a moderately mechanically inclined homeowner, these would do just fine. The quality isn't Snap-on level, but they are better than the stuff Craftsman was putting out several years ago. With the closing of the Fort Worth plant coming soon, this might be the last set worth having.

17. BC

BC Well-Known Member

It says expected delivery Jan 2

18. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

About a month ago I had to fight with Lowe’s to get them to replace a Lowes tool. I actually went and found the tool that said lifetime warranty in their new inventory, to get the guy to swap it.

He claimed management told them no more free replacement on Kobalt tools, only on Craftsman? I don’t know if this is a single store training issue or a corporate policy change.

19. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

The one you listed was more expensive for me. They also have a 450 piece for $319 shipped. in stock

20. Johnny B

Just to make it more interesting, the Snap On line isn't necessarily lifetime. I was given some Snap On tools to have replaced by my old boss after he sold the dealership. The Snap On dealer told me that they were "too old". He then invoked the "dog's life", meaning that after 15-20 years, he won't touch them.