1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CNG fuel ford van

Discussion in 'General' started by tf1075, Oct 20, 2023.

1. tf1075

tf1075 Well-Known Member

Has anyone any experience with a cng ford van?

2. GNC

GNC Jim Rashid

I have experience with cng forklifts and the system sucks

3. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I had two CNG civics that both made it to 180-190k miles. I have a friend that owned a Ford CNG Crown Victoria, which may have the same system as the Van? Any specific questions I can ask him for you?

4. tf1075

tf1075 Well-Known Member

Not really, been offered a low millage van at a good price, was just looking for any feedback on them

5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I would google and see if the CNG specific parts are still available for the fuel system? I bought mine because CNG cars could drive in the car pool lane with 1 person. The other benefit was the much lower price for fuel at the time.

I think the tanks are only rated for 15 years or so and then supposed to be replaced.

tf1075 likes this.
  6. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

I know for a 20 pound tank for a grill, the life is 12 years.

7. definitely not a cat

definitely not a cat Well-Known Member

I work on CNG over the road trucks from time to time. I’m not sure if it’s the same on smaller engines but the big turbo’d 12 and 9 liter Cummins engines have crazy high exhaust temps. It’s causes issues with exhaust manifolds cracking, exhaust valves leaking and sometimes heads cranking.
    Calculating fuel economy can be tricky. Your tank pressure will change with the temperature and there’s no standardization for CNG quality like there is for gasoline and diesel.

TurboBlew, tf1075 and YamahaRick like this.
  8. tf1075

tf1075 Well-Known Member

Thanks for info guys

9. freedomgli

freedomgli Well-Known Member

Every CNG container has an expiration date (end of life) after which it must be properly defueled, decommissioned and disposed of. Budget anywhere from $1500 to $5000 to replace them with new container(s) depending on what you go with (Type 1 all steel vs. Type 3 carbon wrapped aluminum or Type 4 entirely carbon fiber), what PRD and container valves you use, what else needs replacing at the same time, Etc.

10. brex

brex Well-Known Member

What about carbon fiber that used to be a sub? Can that be used for CNG?

11. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

No too waterlogged

12. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

With Propane, 'permanently installed' tanks don't have an expiration, is that the same for CNG?

13. freedomgli

freedomgli Well-Known Member

No.