1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hare scrambles vs Roadracing

Discussion in 'General' started by Quick6RR, Oct 19, 2023.

1. Quick6RR

Quick6RR Well-Known Member

I have thought about it but the closest mini track is pretty far from me. How does the racing compare though?

2. Quick6RR

I’m down in North Florida so we have endless places to ride dirt, that’s another reason I’m looking to get back into it.

TurboBlew and grasshopper like this.
  3. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Perfect. Jumping in cold turkey to a hare scramble even in the C class could be a tall order. Get out riding with some guys who have race experience and you'll get up to speed. Have fun and ride safe.

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

which part? Have you ridden St Marys Shoals?

5. Quick6RR

I’m in Tallahassee but I’ve never heard of that spot. Had to go look it up and it’s about two hours from me. Looks like a fun ride. When I had my Yz250 I mostly rode in the Apalachicola forest.

6. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

i did an FTR enduro there a couple years back, may have been the fist one.. do they have regular legal riding there ? i heard they used to allow quads or SxS but banned them as they were tearing stuff up? not sure if happened or they still can ride there.

TurboBlew likes this.
  7. terminus est

terminus est Be prepared

Riding in the woods is a bit more technical than a road course. Time standing up on the bike, jumps, the course changes after 100 bikes come through a turn, so the turns are different lap to lap. Woods racing is much more physically demanding, but way cheaper and accessible. It’ll teach you ride

TurboBlew and ToofPic like this.
  8. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

And..Can you stand having your butt cheeks scabbing together on a long ride home? The worst ! Monkey butt powder didn't help!
    I would also practice straight up hard riding non stop for about 2 hr stints.Single track if you have it.Practice dead engine starts,and try
    to find some guys to practice with.Its a blast,but you gotta be a Iron man if you want any wood.Hows your bike set up,if any?

9. TurboBlew

of course but only Friday thru Monday. Its a county park but has RCDR club cutting single track all over. Currently about 39 miles of unique single track if you include the equestrian side trails only open for the enduro. Otherwise $5 to ride $5 to park. Annual pass is $30
    Its directional and is going to change for the upcoming Nov event. Lots of fun. Lots of fast flow and 4 miles of 2nd gear bike balance technical trails.

The County is in the process of grading the dirt roads to keep deep puddles from forming. The St Marys tends to flood in heavy rain.
    Its 45 miles from my house. Happy to show anyone around.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2023
    Boman Forklift, Quick6RR and MELK-MAN like this.
  10. TurboBlew

My buddy lives in Madison... former road racer that does enduros these days. There is an awesome private property in Pinetta the owner opens.up frequently. Kind of a friend of a friend network. Its 15 mins from Jennings on the Withlacoochie River. About 7 miles and quite abit of elevation. Also has a practice track in the front yard. 80% of the trail is in canopy.

Quick6RR likes this.
  11. TurboBlew

12. Quick6RR

no setup right now, I had a yz250 which I sold to fund my current roadrace bike. I would probably try to get another Yz though with electric start this go around

ToofPic likes this.
  13. WillMill

WillMill CRA MN #633

YZ250 and electric start don’t go together. Unless you are talking a 250F?

14. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

Red Bull bottles,
    And brand new duallies,
    Oak tree you're in my way...

Razr likes this.
  15. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I have never really raced dirt, but this explanation makes it sound fun. One time in the late 80’s or early 90’s, I rode a buddies KX250 on a motocross track at a race weekend. Never saw the track before, just showed up. I got my ass kicked on the second lap, missing a jump landing and wiping out the subframe.

I think I’m more qualified on asphalt, and really need to go take out my KX65 that @SuddenBraking sold me. I did go drag racing this weekend and screwed up by red lighting -.002.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2023
  16. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I have that problem on asphalt, not sure it would be an issue on dirt.

Letitsnow likes this.
  17. Quick6RR

yea 250f, I should be able to do anything with one of those

18. WillMill

WillMill CRA MN #633

Ive got a newer YZ 250x 2-stroke. It’s awesome in the woods and on single track, but that E-Start or the lack thereof is its biggest downfall.

19. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

My hare scrambles bike, just because I finally figured out how to post pictures. IMG_169810270936F.jpg

969, Quick6RR, Razr and 1 other person like this.
  20. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Highest point in Florida 345ft, highest point in Georgia 4,700ft. Head north for more fun.

turner38 likes this.