1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Refrigerant for small appliance

Discussion in 'General' started by pefrey, Oct 18, 2023.

1. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

Long story short, I have a dehumidifier that leaked its refrigerant. Where can I get an 8 oz can of R410A (or its replacement R470A), with stop leak of course, that is economically viable?

2. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

How are you going to get the refrigerant into the dehu?

3. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

Bullet piercing valve.

4. pickled egg

Why do you think the refrigerant leaked out?

brex and socalrider like this.
  5. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Because the line keeping it in is evil and oppressive, and the refrigerant decided to launch an attack?

6. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

Both the compressor and the fan work so that is my best guess.

7. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

I don't think you can get your hands on 410A without an EPA 608 cert. Or paying someone with one. Also, find and fix the leak before you refill. And finally, how did you come up with 8 ounces? Nameplate should list factory charge in lbs and oz so double check that if you haven't already.

Canadian Bacon likes this.
  8. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

Back of the unit says 8.11 oz of R410A. If it proves too difficult or too expensive to fix, I'll but a new one. But I like fixing stuff.

9. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Someone who is certified AC tech can help you. Leak needs repair, system needs a vacuum. Should hold said vacuum also. A set of gauges to measure correct pressures is a big plus also. You can buy and vacuum pump and gauge set set on Amazon fairly reasonable btw. Youtube how to use them.

10. pickled egg

As everyone is well aware, few have the capacity to offend others as effectively as I do…so don’t take offense. ;)

Compressor “running” doesn’t mean it’s working. Only way to know if the compressor is working is to have a set of gauges on the high side and low side of the compressor.

I asked how you were going to get refrigerant into the system because I have never seen a home dehumidifier that wasn’t sealed. No ports to gauge up. Also no ports to vacuum the system down, to pressure test with nitrogen, and to refill refrigerant through.

Like you, I’m always wanting to fix things myself. Like every red blooded ‘Murrican male, anything that breaks is a great excuse to tool up!

But this one, is a lost cause. Donate it to your local scrapper. Even with the tools and (arguably) the know-how, and I even have a jug of R410A somewhere, I wouldn’t touch it other than as an excuse to run the torches and piss away money on silver solder.

88/532 and Boman Forklift like this.
  11. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Sounds like you're saying you'll fix it for him for $350(0).

12. pickled egg

If it was an R22 unit that wouldn’t even cover the refrigerant.

13. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Damn.

14. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Wow!!

15. pickled egg

Ok, to clarify. $350, not $3500. Last I knew R22 was pulling $800/lb

16. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

But it’s for the children…..get rid of all the nasty chemicals.

17. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

i got quoted 1400 for a 25 lb jug from my local ferguson, in AZ. not sure what it goes for everywhere but that stuff is incredibly hard to get your hands on.

18. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Wise advice, unless you like new tools you use once in a blue moon…cough.

YamahaRick likes this.
  19. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

Yes of course, the chillren lol. I understand about the compressor running but not working so I can only hope that running = working. It is not cost effective to test that hope. Admittedly I have more of a want than a need to fix it. I'd give it a shot if I could get the bullet piercing valve (which should be $5 or so) and 8oz of refrigerant for under $50. Not likely is my guess.

I think I will scrap this one. For the short term I can relocate my 30 year old unit that still works great and go shopping for a new one to handle the additional space. This unit (a GE built in 5/17) was used occasionally for about 3 years and has been sitting for the last 2. Rant - I do not like disposable appliances but I guess that is the way of the world. Thanks everybody.

20. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

That unit probably crapped out from lack of use, they don't like to sit.