1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home built turbojet engine

Discussion in 'General' started by Lazy Destroyer, Oct 4, 2023.

1. Critter

Critter Registered

OK I want to put that thing on a go cart and make some laps at Roebling....Would that be clubman legal?

2. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

But enough to make it to London.

5axis likes this.
  3. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

@Lazy Destroyer your name doesn’t fit. That’s a crazy amount of work!

Really impressive actually. Makes me want to start a project, but I actually am lazy so maybe I’ll finally put the multi back together…

4. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

Blakes a greatGuy,and honestly as nice as they come! And makes beautiful metal art/welds.Youve
    probably met his mother at a wera event working corners and making cookies. And he has great taste
    in music! :)
    Post up some pics of the art work you've done you modest fella!!

5. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Startup is my favorite. Just like the old days on big jets: you run the checklist, fire up the start cart (compressor, blower in this case)to get the engine spinning up to 10% idle and then hit the igniter. Neeto!

I hope you bring it to the races.

6. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

Buzz bomb.

7. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Blake, this is wild. I've been following in IG but dang!

I see the oil reservoir and cooler, what does the little shock reservoir do? How does the oil flow- is the tank pressurized? On aircraft the hydraulic and oil reservoirs are slightly pressurized to prevent foaming. Seems like it could be possible with some bleed air.

How do you control RPM /Boost? modulating fuel flow with the valve?

Theoretically speaking- If you would add a generator- how would that work? Turbine on the exhaust side with a shaft? I know AC generators are RPM sensitive and that would be tough to control with just the rudimentary boost controls you are using.

8. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Whe ln are you inviting people to come over and see this thing in action? Jets fascinate me.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Too many wheels.

10. Critter

Critter Registered

OK stand up scooter it is then

11. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

turning it into a generator and using it - was my first thought too lol. its pretty damn impressive either way!!!!

12. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

That is a super cool project. I had suggested you play with nozzle area. I have been doing some reading and figuring and please don't play with the nozzle. It's too dangerous. By restricting the nozzle area, the exit velocity of the gasses go up and the chamber pressure goes up. This increase in pressure is what ejects the spend gasses after acceleration of the gasses. This acceleration is what uses F=MA to make thrust.

Increasing it's thrust by this method may rupture the chamber or even move the burn front to areas you do not want them in your device.

Cool project, be careful please.

13. Lazy Destroyer

Lazy Destroyer Well-Known Member

You’re probably looking at the EFI-style pump I’m using to feed oil for the turbo. It’s not ideal and eventually I’ll have to look into a better oil pump, but it works ok for now. Feeds about 40-50 psi to the bearings. From the 2qt oil tank, goes to the pump, then radiator, to the manifold with pressure gauge fitting and needle valve. From the manifold it either returns to the tank or goes to the turbo depending on how the needle valve is set.
    Oil system seems to work ok but after a couple minutes running it’ll start to get a little frothy and the oil pump doesn’t like that much.
    There’s no baffles inside the oil tank I made and I’ve considered adding a baffle in there to help. I usually keep the oil tank itself vented to atmosphere but since I haven’t really run the engine longer than 1 or 2 minutes at a time, it hasn’t been high on my radar for stuff to fix.

RPM/boost is controlled by a needle valve at the fuel line. A regular propane bbq bottle feeds this and I’m surprised at how little the valve needs to be open to get it to idle. Altho my propane bottle fittings have some of the internal but removed. I spiked my boost gauge on an early run cranking the throttle open too fast, then turned the throttle off too fast. got a nice flameout out of it. Scared me a bit seeing the boost gauge pegged and hearing it still built up. But I’ve since kinda figured out how to fuel it the way it wants. Usually keep it no more than 10 psi or so.

A free turbine could be added to the exhaust to spin something to make mechanical or electrical power. I’d hate to be pitted next to that at the races though lol.

Gino230 likes this.
  14. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Simply Bad Ass Blake!

15. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I have some delavan nozzles that I used for an air assisted aeroponics project a few years ago that you're more than welcome to. I'm past my NASA type experimental stage for growing tomatoes so I've got a fair amount of gear that may be useful for you. PM me if interested.

16. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Prob a pain, but could you convert it to a beer cooler, I recall seeing some from NZ a looong time ago. Would be awesome in the pits after racing.