1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The original Michelin man from 1894

Discussion in 'General' started by Quicktoy, Sep 30, 2023.

1. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

I just saw this posted on Twitter and found it interesting.
    “The original Michelin Man from 1894. He was is white because rubber tires are naturally white. It was not until 1912 that carbon chemicals were mixed into the white tires, which turned them black. The change was structural, not aesthetic. By adding carbon, tires became more durable. Michelin also began reviewing restaurants so that more people would travel further distances in their cars to eat at these restaurants. This, in turn, would wear down their tires faster and force them to buy more. The star system that Michelin uses goes up to three and is broken down by whether or not it's worth driving to the restaurant: One star: "A very good restaurant in its category" (Une très bonne table dans sa catégorie) Two stars: "Excellent cooking, worth a detour" (Table excellente, mérite un détour) Three stars: "Exceptional cuisine, worth a special journey" (Une des meilleures tables, vaut le voyage).”
    IMG_6510.jpeg

scottn, DBConz, BigBird and 5 others like this.
  2. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Is he on roller skates and smoking a cigar? :p

BigBird, Quicktoy and Sabre699 like this.
  3. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Nah, that’s the fat chick working at the drive-in. ;)

Quicktoy likes this.
  4. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

That dude could go anywhere now-a-days and fit the new norm. :crackup:

BigBird and TurboBlew like this.
  5. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

They also print road books to tell people where to travel to, and even helped pioneer road signs and things like that. I was lucky enough to be the guest of Michelin over to Spain and France to see their test track facility and one of the factories that makes motorcycle tires. The museum is incredible and it’s pretty crazy how influential they have been since the beginning of automobiles. Hell they even made pneumatic train tires haha!

BigBird, Gino230 and MELK-MAN like this.
  6. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

He's gone through a lot of changes. I looked them up once when we were selling Michelins, He got scary looking for awhile, I thinkin the 20's. I prefer the cigar smoking, champagne drinking, womanizing version of the Michelin man.

7. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

This one?
    IMG_3836.jpeg

BigBird, mastermind, MELK-MAN and 2 others like this.
  8. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

I understand Michelin still does the food / restaurant rating thing, for high-end stuff, I believe?

BigBird likes this.
  9. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

His name was (and still is) the "Bibendum", as displayed in the picture posted by Spooner. "Nunc est bibendum" means "now is the time to drink" in latin and was Michelin's motto. Associating driving with drinking would nowadays be considered a bad marketing move, me thinks lol

10. Quicktoy

I remember reading in highschool that the nazis left the Michelin factories alone as they also got their tires from them.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  11. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

The allies bombed the Metzeler factory flat in WW2. So they had to find rubber somewhere

Quicktoy likes this.
  12. rohorn

rohorn Well-Known Member

Used to see these attached to the cabs of trucks (Lorries, to be precise) a lot when I was stationed in England.

s-l1600.jpg

MELK-MAN likes this.
  13. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

Don’t forget his sidekick Bibelobis. IMG_3086.jpeg IMG_3086.jpeg

BigBird and MELK-MAN like this.
  14. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

That's it. The really creepy years.

KneeDragger_c69, YamahaRick and Senna like this.
  15. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

for sure, the later and current bib man is much more appealing and less fukin scary, than some of the original and earlier versions ! LOL

[​IMG]

BigBird, cav115, 27 and 1 other person like this.
  16. mastermind

mastermind camping in turn 2....

Love those vintage Bib posters...... so cool.

He was caught mocking me at a rider's meeting......

[​IMG]

MELK-MAN likes this.
  17. 27

27 Well-Known Member

I posted this Bib buck I found a few weeks ago… the happy fat bastard always made me smile or I’d have never tried the tires… I just wanted to run the stickers :D IMG_2402.jpeg

18. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Anyone remember Ron Wood tell the story of how Colonel Sanders was Michelin’s first salesman and all his driving and looking for fried chicken on the road gave him the idea for KFC?

Once a Wanker.., BigBird and Quicktoy like this.
  19. Quicktoy

If that’s true it would be fascinating.

BigBird and 27 like this.
  20. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really