1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stuck 2 stroke carb float valve question

Discussion in 'Tech' started by motion, Sep 8, 2023.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I'm working on gummed up 3XV TZR250 carbs...

The float valve should come out of the housing that it sits in easily, correct? That sumbitch is stuck in there! Tried dipping the carb and lots of carb cleaner. Still stuck.

How to pull it out?

Screenshot 2023-09-08 at 5.06.17 PM copy.jpg

2. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

If the valve and seat are both easily replaceable, like in the picture you show, you throw it away and replace them both.

motion likes this.
  3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

a pick? Maybe some penetrating oil

motion likes this.
  4. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

If they are stuck together you have to replace both. Putting a new needle in a scored seat makes no sense.

motion likes this.
  5. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I was able to pull it out gently with needle nose pliers.

6. definitely not a cat

definitely not a cat Well-Known Member

If you’re going to try and reuse it after prying it apart you may want to lap the needle and seat with a drill. Probably leak like crazy otherwise.

7. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Unless it has the rubber tip on the needle, like the one pictured. Those won't lap well:Poke:

8. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

I have been having a heck of a time with some float valves recently. Brand new needle, float, and seat. Everything looks fine, moves fine, randomly leaks. I hate carbs sometimes.

9. definitely not a cat

definitely not a cat Well-Known Member

It’s not ideal but I’ve had success lapping the rubber needles. Worst case you fuck an already fucked part.

10. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I always polish/clean up the seat when we have carbs apart. Triple zero steel wool on the end of a tiny screwdriver, twist away till it's shiny. Then check it for any pits or scratches.

11. CR750

CR750 Well-Known Member

I have been having same issues, found that the Chinese needle is slightly smaller than the stock one and will sometimes sit sideways in the seat and leak then sit correctly and not leak. My only solution was to silver solder the outside of the needle and sand it down until it was snug.

12. long path/road

long path/road let's think about this!..??

I will be honest I haven't read all reports sonic cleanr might could help.? for few $ I'm guessing was locked up enough cleaner could not break it down?? I want a 4dp again