1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I??? 2008 Tuono

Discussion in 'General' started by jasonhise, Sep 22, 2023.

1. jasonhise

jasonhise Well-Known Member

Oh and it does have the Ohlins forks, shock and forged OZ wheels from the "R" model. All for $3700 cash. Didn't want to insult him and that apparently went a long way. Thank you folks for the encouragement... Just FYI, I only needed the most minimal reassurance. I was at 85% certain I wanted it. ;-)

Mike Fennell, ducnut, scottn and 5 others like this.
  2. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

It's not as bad if you're in a wheelie. Just remember that.

YamahaRick and jasonhise like this.
  3. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Okay, now you're rubbing it in. You stole that thing.

sill'r B sill'd, 5axis and jasonhise like this.
  4. jasonhise

Can you expound a little and hopefully provide a link? I see it's a tank coating to prevent leaks.

5. yokohama1

yokohama1 Well-Known Member

The tanks are prone to ethanol swelling. Gets to the point you may not be able take get mounting bolts in or the tank may start leaking where the pump bolts in. The Caswell tank coating is the best solution for stopping g that problem. Best way to apply is let the tank sit empty for a year and it will go back to its original shape and then coat the inside. Requires an extra tank if you aren’t planning on taking a year off from riding it. I got a steel tank for my gen 1 RSV and waited for the nylon tank to “dry out” then costed. Has been perfect since.
    You got a very nice example of a gen 2.

Jedb, Steeltoe, Phl218 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Phl218

Phl218 .

yup. It’s worth it. Great deal man!!!!

jasonhise likes this.
  7. Phl218

Phl218 .

8. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Wife had that same bike. Loved it. Went down one on the countershaft and it was tits.

jasonhise and cpettit like this.
  9. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Mine is geared -1/+2. With the open pipes, race air filter and map 2 it rips.

Knotcher, Phl218 and jasonhise like this.
  10. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Phl218 and ChemGuy like this.
  11. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

So, update? How do you like it?

12. jasonhise

Been garbage weather since I picked it up and haven’t had the opportunity to take it through the mountains yet. Weekend is looking promising though.

13. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

scottn, Phl218 and jasonhise like this.
  14. jasonhise

So for the update, I did a local ride around some back roads with sketchy road surfaces. It doesn’t like to be lugged like my SV650 is happy with. The five year old tires seem a little iffy and I think the suspension doesn’t agree with the road surfaces. The motor is nuts!!! Never ridden a big rev happy V-twin so adapting to it was a learning experience. Do I regret buying it…. Not the tiniest F’in bit. I do want to adjust the clutch engagement point and the front brakes could use bleeding like the hydraulic clutch. It does turn in much faster and handle better than I expected overall. Is it a keeper? … Most likely!

ducnut likes this.
  15. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

Another tactic is to keep sta-bil or some other fuel stabilizer

Phl218 and jasonhise like this.
  16. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

My 2007 Factory still makes me smile, and behave like a hooligan (when I think no one with “credentials” is watching!)

jasonhise likes this.
  17. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Yeah, my '05 actually has more torque down low. The 08 really objects when you're below 5000 RPM.

Superchikn996 and jasonhise like this.
  18. jasonhise

Rode “dirty” today swapping a plate from my DRZ just to feel it out. Ashamed just a little but more happy with my decision to just risk it.

Phl218 and Steeltoe like this.
  19. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Get a Roadstercycle SH847 Series R/R Kit on that thing. It’ll save the stator and add reliability to the charging system.

jasonhise likes this.
  20. yokohama1

yokohama1 Well-Known Member

Is this something they have for Gen 1 bikes as well? I have to simply use a jump pack every time I start my Mille race bike from cold.

jasonhise likes this.