1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Down 53 lbs

Discussion in 'General' started by Shenanigans, Sep 13, 2023.

1. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Something I forgot to mention in my earlier post about
    relying more on diet and less on drugs to address high
    blood pressure and diabetes, which are related, is to
    avoid processed table salt and go with sea salt or Himalayan
    salt. Processed salts have a lot of garbage in them and most
    of the things you need are gone. Despite what you have been
    told over and over, salt is not bad for you. Eliminating it from
    your diet is a big mistake. Eating foods with potassium will
    help your body's natural processes control your body's sodium
    levels. Avoiding all salt screws up those processes.

2. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

My brother has 10 tapeworms so I get your point. However you play the cards you are dealt. In my case poorly :crackup: but I am changing that. Alcoholism is influenced by genetics but that is just a reason for someone with that family history to be more careful. Same with other things.

3. In Your Corner

4. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

uhhhhh.... that's how it's supposed to work.

5. In Your Corner

Did you read the article?

6. USracer900

USracer900 Well-Known Member

53 lbs is fantastic, congrats! I've been taking this prescription diet drug, phentermine for 3 months now. Down 35 lbs, dramatically reduces your appetite. My wife lost 31 lbs as well. Only negative is you can only take it for a few months, your body gets acclimated to the drug over time.

7. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Best weight-loss drug I know of is back up from the table sooner.

Actually, in seriouness, my wife uses smaller plates and kids' utensils. Slows her scarf down so her brain can catch up with her belly when it signals it's full.

8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

portion distortion...

9. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I had to use the googles, as I thought that was taken off the market years ago. Looks like it was the other half of phen-fen that they took off the market, even with the issues with both drugs.

10. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Interesting article. I felt like there was some bias on the part of the author and I am always leary of anecdotal data, like individual case studies. But, the percentages of adverse symptoms presented seem to be high enough to give food for thought. I think this is indicative that anybody that takes any medication, prescription or OTC, really needs to research it beyond the warnings on the label and to stop taking it if there are adverse reactions. I am fortunate that I have never suffered from negative side affects of any medications, but I still check to make sure that I am not setting myself up. My primary care provider suggested that I should take Ozembic along with the Metformin when I was first diagnosed. I suggested not and I would wait to see how I did on just the Metformin and a proper diet.
    Always make sure you know what you have been prescribed and why and then monitor the effects for yourself!

11. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

It's less of a medical article and more of "natural" weight loss promotion.
    Let's be honest, if everyone was able to lose weight "naturally," there would be no need for the weight loss industry. A LOT of people just can't do it.

As far as delayed gastric emptying and nausea, THAT"S EXACTLY WHAT THE MEDICINE IS INTENDED TO DO. Kinda like gastric bypass, make you so sick and nauseated you stop eating.
    I'm not in favor of it, but presenting it like it's some kinda massive medical coverup is false.

The medicine make you full. If you continue to eat you get nauseated and sick.

12. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

Funny you should mention metformin...

some people (scientists) believe it can delay aging... We are talking about real research articles and Harvard professors talking about metformin delaying the aging process.
    too bad it gives you the shits..

13. kenessex

Fortunately for me, it has not had that side affect. It has put my blood sugar at a real manageable number when combined with watching my carb intake at each meal.

14. In Your Corner

Metformin has been around for a long time so its
    long-term effects are well known, it is generally
    considered very safe and effective with few unwanted
    effects. I would be leary of newer drugs that are being
    pushed simply because the profit margin is much
    higher for big pharma while their long-term effects
    are unknown. No sense in being a guinea pig.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ozempic-side-effects-weight-loss-drugs-wegovy-mounjaro-doctors-warn/

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ozempic-mounjaro-lawsuit-gastroparesis-stomach-paralysis-side-effect/

15. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I read some stuff about this because my brother got on it recently. Basically they are claiming that more widespread use can prolong life- not exactly anti-aging. Basically they used observational studies of people that were put on metformin vs. people who were not. Given the obesity rates in the US, it stands to reason that people on metformin will have less effects of diabetes and therefore live longer.

My usual thought about these drugs is that there's no magic pill, there's always a trade off somewhere. Knowing the drug industry Ozempic and the other diabetic medications that encourage weight loss will soon be approved for weight loss using the same logic as the metformin study- we're saving lives.

In a way, I think it's ridiculous to take a drug just to avoid dieting, but then again, if our food industry insists in loading up all the food with industrial seed oils, fake ingredients, and scientifically engineered "natural flavors" (look that one up) that are designed in a lab to make you eat more, than using the drugs is fair retaliation. Chemicals vs. chemicals.

Our food industry really needs the most change. Europe, Canada, etc. are far healthier because they have either outright banned or taxed out of existence alot of these fake ingredients. We're the richest country in the world, and our food is the most polluted.

Go into the bread isle and try and find a loaf of bread without corn syrup, cane syrup, or any of the other crazy names they come up with for sugars. Since when is sugar an ingredient in bread??

ducnut and TurboBlew like this.
  16. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

true medical studies will match the groups as best as possible in terms of weight, age, sex, and diabetes control with other meds.
    anectodal internet evidence will not.

but yeah... human studies on metformin and aging are in the works. obviously with a study like this it may take years if not decades to see a difference in the groups

The reason metformin prolongs life is not so much better diabetes control, but instead it is thought that the drug puts the users cells in a sort of diet restrictive state... same way fasting prolongs the lives of mice and other organisms.

I'm not saying i believe in taking these drugs... i am fascinated by the science though.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2023
    Gino230 likes this.
  17. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Why are all you medical experts and drug savants doing your own research to come to your own conclusions?
    The FDA approved it, the doctors are experts and say to use it. Your should just blindly trust the FDA and all the docs that are following the recommendations of Big Pharma, I mean the CDC.

ducnut likes this.
  18. kenessex

I find it interesting to note that almost if not all of the diagnosed type2 diabetics that have posted on this thread are reporting positive results of their various strategies, diets and medications. All medical practitioners that I have talked to, including those in my immediate family, have noted that their diabetic patients are the most non-compliant patients they have, by a wide margin. My daughter in law is a podiatric surgeon and is forever cutting the toes and feet off of obese, non-compiant diabetics. They have noted that my results are very atypical as is my attention to what I am putting in my mouth. Yet, I seem to be the norm for what is being posted in this thread. What do you think is the reason that this group is so far outside the norm in diabetic compliance?

19. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

We are generally not couch potatoes who have Type 2 from stuffing our faces 24/7 ? I say this with all sincerity as a Type 2 who recently had his right leg lopped off...

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Maybe those who don't comply and are paying for it prefer not to be told that it's their own fault. Or maybe they are no longer with us. Just guessing.

ducnut, TurboBlew and bpro like this.