1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Down 53 lbs

Discussion in 'General' started by Shenanigans, Sep 13, 2023.

1. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Haven't seen alot of you since March or even longer.
    My diabetes got out of control last year with me weighing 231lbs and A1C of 12.3 at end of the year even being on 60 units of insulin daily.

Doc decided to put me on Mounjaro to see if would help. I've been off insulin for a few months now and today at check up I weighed 178 with A1C 5.8

53 lbs gone

FZRCraig, tiggen, Steeltoe and 39 others like this.
  2. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

Awesome progress. Maintain that shit!

3. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

:stupid:

Don't fuck around. Its manageable if you stay disciplined

Great job :rock:

4. 27

27 Well-Known Member

I know not everyone can control it with diet and exercise but my fat family damn sure could… some have gotten off the insulin and meds completely some are lazy and like to eat shit and don’t care if they’re shortening their lives with every bite… can’t imagine liking sugar enough to give up on a healthier life.

big pharma is never your friend… keep up the good work!

5. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Nice, my boss has been on some shots for the last year, not sure which one but their appetite and how much food they consumed has gone down by about 1/2. he was big, lost at least 60-80 lbs this year. I am used to making big American meals after a long day on the water and had to adjust. He was pushing 325 when I first started working for him. Had to get a custom dive ladder made for his weight,

CBRRRRR999 and Shenanigans like this.
  6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Tried getting cold turkey off sugar the last few days because I was too lazy to get some for my coffee. Holy shit, it’s been rough.

I’ve stuck to it except I remembered that beers have sugar and I go from frumpy to 100 mph in one beer at 8 pm when I allow myself to have beers.

can’t drink the clears with my past. . . I’m fucked.

BigBird and Shenanigans like this.
  7. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I am down only about 20 lbs since being diagnosed, but 65 lbs from my peak.My A1c went from 9.9 to 5.4. I credit the meds and carb control. I do almost all of our cooking and have made all kinds of low carb meals. Fortunately, my wife went along with the diet and lost the weight she wanted, too. I am not smart enough to count fat, sodium, calories or anything else, just net carbs. It has worked for me.

Gino230, Knarf Legna, RRP and 3 others like this.
  8. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

To OP and everyone else winning...
    Good on you!!

If I may ask...
    How have you done maintaining your muscle mass on the shots?

27 likes this.
  9. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

I didn't have much muscle mass just fat. I've lost some of the muscle mass. I need to start working on getting it back, gonna be hard to do just turned 56 in July. Proper diet and exercise will hopefully help me gain some back

10. Captain Morgan

I just recently went the dentist 4 times in one week in the Dominican Rebublic because have no dental insurance and its 1/4 of the price of the US, going to Africa so its kind of if something is wrong need to address it, on the last day got 2 wisdom teeth, one impacted pulled in the same 3 hours just on novacaine, stitched up, out island Bahamas on the way back drinking, insure, peadalyte, and protein shakes, still can't open my mouth past putting my thumb in, but lost 15 lbs in one week. Going to the dentist tomorrow, the extraction was brutal, and the nonvaccine was wearing off, think my cheek got stitched up so hopefully cut them, But serious lost 15 # in a week if any of you guys are shooting for a high school reunion or to lose weight on a smaller displacement, can recommend a dentist

11. Captain Morgan

Know this is the beeb, but what is Aic, I'm 43 never got a physical, had to renew my coast guards license, barely passed the physical, my blood pressure was through the roof, probably from drinking a bottle of rum the day before, passed it off on drinking a large red bull, funny the first nurse had the blood pressure machine and said it must be broken, got another one, failed, then told me to calm down, 10 min later passed. got on blood pressure medicine now last time in the US 6 months ago when I would regularly take it, don't know if it actually does anything, about to leave for africa, its it worth it to take from a medical profession point of view

12. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

I lost 25 lbs (200 to 175) in 3 months over the winter....Just eating better, not necessarily dieting, and working out at home with 55 lb adjustable dumbbells and a bench.

I got workout 'tips' from "Anabolic Live' YT channel...It's a couple guys that focus on men over 50...I'm almost 54.

Protein protein protein, 0 sugar, low-moderate carbs and that's it.

I can do 3 sets of 12 with 35 lb dumb bells now....Started out at like 20 lbs. Didn't take long to see results.

Although I don't know how diabetes affects muscle gain...you can definitely put on muscle at our age.

I could still lose 8 lbs of the belly...But hell, I'm 6'1" so really don't wanna go lower than 175.
    I've seen bigger legs on a chicken, so I've no weight in my legs. lol

me may 2023.JPG

Shenanigans and BigBird like this.
  13. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I got the diabetes scare too last October; 10.1 A1c, I was lucky in that I didn't have to go the insulin route, instead a diet change and Trijardy. Within 3 months I went from just about 200 to 173. Muscle mass is a good point, I know I've lost some, along with chicken legs like gapman mentioned. Kind of bums me out because I've always had nice legs:D I've been maintaining 178#'s for about the last 6 months and that's a good weight for me. A1c is under 6 now.

Shenanigans, RRP and BigBird like this.
  14. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

A-one-C ...A1C

So, your blood cells have this stuff called hemoglobin that carries oxygen to your cells. When hemoglobin is exposed to blood sugar, it changes it chemically.

The higher your blood sugar is over time, the more of your hemoglobin gets glycogenated.

Your blood cells live an average of 110 days before being replaced with new blood cells made in your marrow.

By testing to see what proportion of your hemoglobin has been glycogenated, doctors can determine your average blood sugar levels over the past couple of months. That's called A1C.

Normal is 5.7 . Anything over about 6.5 is bad. 10 and 12 is ""bitch you better get your shit together or you gonna DIE!!!"" :D

15. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I think my absolute worst quarter as a T1 has been 8.9... best was a 6.3. Of course I had 4 severe hypoglycemic episodes to match that all time low and a 18lb weight loss. My latest was a 6.9 about avg for me.
    I call T2 the Easybetes because its curable without meds, increased physical activity, and some severe diet tweaking.
    The bottom line... even with an endo you really need to be your own advocate. All of those treatments have scary side effects :)

ducnut and Shenanigans like this.
  16. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

Great news!!!
    I too am a newer diabetic.
    Doc has me on Synjardy (Stupid expensive $572/month!)
    I was at 238 in Dec 2022... started watching what I eat and some fasting (minimal lunch) dieting... down now to 203-205... shooting to get to 195ish.

Shenanigans likes this.
  17. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Damn Son, you weigh less than me now... well done!

Shenanigans likes this.
  18. 418

418 Expert #59

Damn, good job.

Bet those leathers don't fit anymore tho. :crackup:

Shenanigans likes this.
  19. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

Many people (especially people of color) discover that they have diabetes when they lose their vision.
    Get checked (at least annually, if your family has history), and stay on top of it.

20. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

A better upgrade than Duranni wheels ! :D

Shenanigans likes this.