1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Porsche Tax

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Sep 12, 2023.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Just ordered 2 cables for my convertible top. Just over $500. My mechanic says they're basically just like motorcycle speedo cables. He wants $900 to install them.

I bought 2 cylinders with pistons, wrist pins and clips for my Royal Oilfields. Just $125 each with free shipping from India.

993-561-922-03-M100.jpg

2. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

The Germans say they are our friends. Their cars say otherwise.

3. freedomgli

freedomgli Well-Known Member

Same with Ferrari or most anything else premium. It’s your car so you can do whatever you like. But cheaping out is often a false economy as it’ll bite you at resale if not sooner. Just like Ferrari resale suffers if you DIY the repairs. The next buyer wants to know it was serviced by a professional, even though Ferrari dealer mechanics are humans also and sometimes make mistakes.

Free market means you can make your cables if you want. But few self-respecting mechanics for hire want to make commodity type parts for modern cars when there is a network for OEM parts. For them it’s all about conservation of time, because time is money. There are rare exceptions to this rule, such as the cottage industry of experts who do things like fix Bentley Continental GTC soft tops (because Bentley dealers will only R&R complete tops at $25k+) or Ferrari 360 ECU rebuilders because Ferrari is outrageous in their contempt for customers.

BigBird likes this.
  4. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Build yourself a world class muscle car and tell Europe to take a hike.

5. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

The stories I could tell...

6. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Lots of Ferrari part numbers cross reference to much cheaper cars. Shared parts with Volvo and Kia LoL Porsche probably not so much but always check. Electric or fuel injection related especially

BigBird and Boman Forklift like this.
  7. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Plenty of Volkswagen parts for the Porsche crowd. The trick is getting the correct software load onto them.

Phl218 and BigBird like this.
  8. notbostrom

And a Ferrari clutch can be changed by one person laying on a cold garage floor in winter in just a couple hours with nothing more than the tools in the factory tool kit.

9. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

The level of stupidity and ignorance to equate German Engineering to a product from a (mostly) third world country is immeasurable.

tony 340 likes this.
  10. VR45 Troll

VR45 Troll Site Mod Upgraded to Troll. Formerly “Maximum”

How about the special tools the you need to buy from Porsche to install them?

11. mitch100

mitch100 New Member

Lol. This is sarcasm, right?

12. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

GFY

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Quit picking on the Germans! What have they ever done to you besides that whole Pearl Harbor thing. They gave you me and I’m the gift that keeps on giving? :D

cpettit and motion like this.
  14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Finally, you get it! :D

motion likes this.
  15. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I got it a long time ago... I'm very passive, generally :)

16. notbostrom

Honestly the level of over engineering by German brands ends up being a curse. There is easily a 1000 pounds of useless shit on my x5. The little motors to close the doors..
    Stupidest car feature ever. On the flip side I do dig my heated and cooled cup holders.

And don't get me started on the culty mind fuck they place on customers that even changing lanes without a blinker will void the warranty

Phl218 and motion like this.
  17. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

It's amazing watching people bleed money on their cars.....especially street ones

Virtue signaling at its finest. I'd rather have a nice house and boat......but then again.....I'm guilty of it also

From someone that works at many, many, auto plants.......its all the same shit

I wont mention any names but watching your seat fabrics go down the same line makes me laugh hysterically

Marketing guys got u by the short and curlies and u don't even know it

Go on with your bad self at cars and coffee though

18. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

We just got rid of the wife's Macan because it needed about 10 grand worth of work. We went through the same crap with her BMW before that. I finally talked her into something reasonable this time. I'm looking forward to Not paying $4-500 for an oil change and $1600 + for a set of tires. I gave her crap that her $75k Aryan krautburners were falling apart in less than 6 years and the $15k, 12 year old Honda I had ran like a top. Sad really.

cha0s#242, BigBird and Boman Forklift like this.
  19. VR45 Troll

VR45 Troll Site Mod Upgraded to Troll. Formerly “Maximum”

Acura TLX A-Spec SHAWD for the win. Zero problems and nothing maintenance wise except maybe changing the trans/transfer case oil I cant do myself.

20. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

My 2003 F150 still gets me everywhere I need to go and brings whatever I need to bring.

My wife's 2019 4Runner gets us there when we need to ""clean up"".

Both have been paid for for years... and don't cost $700 for an oil change. ;)

The vehicle most commonly owned by millionaires is.... you guessed it.... F150. Probably newer than 2003, but it works for me.

YamahaRick likes this.