1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5.0 coyote vs 3.5 eco-boost turbo

Discussion in 'General' started by Rico888, Aug 30, 2023.

1. prm

prm Well-Known Member

I don’t believe you need to change the oil that often. Just change it when the oil monitor says to, and use a quality oil. Of course earlier is not a bad thing. On the earlier 3.5s I think minimizing wear on the cam chain is more important than worrying about the turbos. The 17+ 3.5 has a redesigned cam chain system (which introduced phaser issue), turbo coolant fittings, dual-injectors, etc. The latest versions have also redesigned the cam phasers.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  2. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

I’m not familiar with that upgrade. Wouldn’t that require drilling and tapping into the head to add extra studs?

The only fix I know is to put an upgraded aftermarket manifold on. I forget the name of the company that makes it, but its basically a heavier duty version of the oem with a thicker flange, to reducing warpage. The bolt pattern is the same as oem.

3. VR45 Troll

VR45 Troll Site Mod Upgraded to Troll. Formerly “Maximum”

4. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

Glad that hasn’t happened to you. The general gist is that Ford designed the heads with too much distance between the last exhaust exhaust manifold bolt, and there’s only one bolt. This becomes a problem because of insufficient clamping force that manifests over time from the extremely high temps that the manifold experiences, due to the turbo sitting only a couple of inches from it. It eventually warps and an exhaust leak occurs. Eventually that last manifold bolt will snap off.

5. Gecko

Gecko Well-Known Member

I haven't done it yet, but I've reading up on it a lot. My understanding is the cylinder head is manufactured with more stud holes than the manifold is built to accept . . . so no, you don't have to drill and tap.

6. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

There is a whole string of YouTube videos on how the oil monitor resulted in numerous blown up Ecoboost engines. Go by the monitor and boom. Change every 3k ish and your good

Boman Forklift likes this.
  7. bluebandit2g

bluebandit2g Well-Known Member

Ive got a 2021 3.5 Eco. I love the engine. I installed a oil catch can to keep oil from going back to the intake. (bunch of options on those). Quite a bit of oil in it after towing but not much with just daily driving. I hate the 10spd trans though. i may just have a bad one (although as typical, the dealer says its not throwing a code so nothing is wrong). Downshifts are ridiculously hard and I dont like the skip shifting. I may try a aftermarket reflash for that but. The 3.5 tows great . the torque is down low so you dont have to rev the tits out of it to get things moving.

ClemsonsR6 likes this.
  8. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Im actually surprised you feel the shifts. In modern 7-10 speed transmission cars I’ve been in, they shift so smoothly, you barely feel anything, unlike the old 3/4 speed automatic days.

My wife has a C43 Mercedes with 68k miles, it has a 9 speed, it is super smooth both up and down. If I put it in sport plus mode I can feel it snapping the gears, but in normal mode it is very hard to even tell.

9. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

Ecoboost throw a 93 octane tune in it and run 12’s in the 1/4 mile bone stock. Had a 2014 fx4 loved it until I blew the skirts off the pistons. I was running 27psi of boost and absolutely beat the shit out of it. Towed like crazy too. Wouldn’t hesitate to buy another one just wouldn’t put a race tune in it just a five star or something.

10. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

Planning to do a few upgrades this Fall to my 2013 3.5 FX4, specifically a tune, and maybe an upgraded intercooler, charge pipe, etc. Can you recommend a good tuner? I know there’s a bunch of dudes doing it, but the reviews are all over the place on them.

11. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

So, wait, these screens are not serviceable? There's a oil inlet screen on the supercharger of my Kawasaki H2 SX, and it's a service item. This seems like an engineering/planning failure that should be easily fixed. 3k mile oil changes with full synthetic, in a car/truck, seems like a cost prohibitive plan.

12. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

Modern engines are quite efficient when it comes to friction now, but it's the ancillary devices that cause oil contamination and damage. If you have crankcase gases and exhaust gases being recirculated back into the intake charge some will inevitably get beyond the rings and begin to cause contamination of the oil. Engines that don't have these devices could run a LOT longer on a good engine oil.

13. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

Better than no dipstick. If you can fill through the dipstick tube then I'm all for it. Dropping the pan every 30k would be a pain in the dick.

14. LossPrev

LossPrev Well-Known Member

They are serviceable but not the easiest to get to. If someone wanted to be super proactive you could do it at 100k just to be safe but I probably won't since I bought the truck new and know how it was taken care of and oil change intervals.

Personally, I don't feel that 3000 miles is necessary. Using a decent quality synthetic oil and a good filter, I'm a 5000 mile guy. The problem is people trying to go 8000 or 10000 because the filter or oil say "good for 15k miles!" I think the built in service indicator will land somewhere around 7500-8000.

15. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

That heavy truck would get drug by my RCSB. BTDT Best go educate yourself in physics...and also check that that is NOT the EXACT same engine that is in the mustang...smh Gotta love the egoboost crowd...lol

16. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Ah, got it. Thanks for the data back fill.
    I agree, I don't go past 6k on any vehicle with full synthetic.

17. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Caterpillar semi truck motors did this exact same thing in the 80/90s

The whole turbo weight was supported on the exhaust manifold, and on top of that it was a 2 piece manifold hanging all that weight off an inline 6

I've done exhaust studs on every one that we owned. This is when I learned the difference in real carbide drill bits

Other than that, bulletproof motors.

18. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Well I gotta admit, I’m a moron then. I’ve never owned anything I check the oil every fill up. I get gas multiple times a week, and rarely check the oil at fill up. I actually can’t even remember the last time I did check the oil at a fill up.

I’m pretty certain if I did have to do that I would sell the POS?

Dang I hat acronyms, that aren’t well known!! Quit being lazy type that stuff out!!!:mad:
    RCSB?
    Really Crappy Small Block?
    Real Creepy Sex Bot?
    Real Cock Sucking Bit.h?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2023
    Dragginass and Jon Wilkens like this.
  19. Gecko

Gecko Well-Known Member

RCSB = Regular Cab Short Bed.
    BTDT = been there, done that.

20. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”