1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5.0 coyote vs 3.5 eco-boost turbo

Discussion in 'General' started by Rico888, Aug 30, 2023.

1. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

Is this cause they burn oil or lose it through PCV and the oil delivery to the turbochargers isn't nearly priority on the oil gallery run? Or is this because the oil degrades and sludges due to heat and clogs in the feed?

stk0308 likes this.
  2. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

Have you had any issues with the exhaust manifolds warping? I’m at 90k on my 2013 F150 3.5, and they’ve had to be replaced twice. And the right side is now leaking again.

It’s a problem on the first gen motors.

3. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

No, nothing, this is the first I've heard it it being an issue?

4. Gecko

Gecko Well-Known Member

I don't have one yet, but this is my understanding from others I've talked to who do have them.

5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

you have the updated manifold with the extra bolts?

6. LossPrev

LossPrev Well-Known Member

There are little screens on the oil inlets to the turbos. They can get clogged. It's more likely on one side too but I can't remember which off the top of my head.

7. LossPrev

LossPrev Well-Known Member

For those years, if I wasn't towing much and/or was mostly on flat ground I'd probably go 5.0. I loved my 2011 5.0, got great mileage, sounds good and is super smooth. Reliability is fantastic.

With that said, I went 3.5 on my recent purchase of a 2023. Different motor and trans of course than the years you're looking at but for towing and easy torque for everyday driving the 3.5L is hard to beat. I am greatly enjoying mine so far.

8. prm

prm Well-Known Member

I had a 2015 F150 3.5EB and now have a 2022 F150 with the 5.0. I sold my 2015 with 175k. It was a very good truck. The turbo coolant line fittings will eventually leak and they are not the easiest to replace. I never had the ‘common’ issues related to the timing chain or valve build-up. All those ‘common’ issues on the later EB engines was corrected, and other than phasers (factory will replace) seem to be very reliable. I changed the oil every 7500mi, give or take, never had an oil related issue. Used Mobil1 full syn early on and later Amsoil.
    Only have 9k on the 22 but really like it. The 3.5 is a little better for towing IMO. By better, I mean it seems to tow effortlessly. Other than my enclosed bike trailer which doesn’t weigh much, I do tow a horse trailer. While the 5.0 does just fine, it definitely has to work harder. Different power bands. Maybe a tiny bit better towing mileage with 3.5, but better mileage daily driving with the 5.0. I had to drive a couple hundred miles from VA up to NJ for work and it averaged just over 23mpg.
    I forget the exact years, either 18-19 or 19-20, but do not get the 5.0 over that period.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  9. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Sludge due to temps

10. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

In the year range you mentioned, get the 5.0. The 3.5 during those years did have the cam phaser issues which were finally sorted late 20’. The 10 speed is magical and anyone who has real experience here with one will tell you the old 6 speed is archaic in comparison. If buying new, 3.5 will smoke a 5.0 in every category and I personally went that direction. Keep a vehicle long enough and run the shit out of it, everything will break. Don’t let the turbo naysayers discourage you if you go that direction. Stay on your maintenance like everything else and you’ll be fine.

11. TurboBlew

the 10 speed is in 2018 or later F150s. The 10 speeds require ULV fluid changes every 30k... filter changes ~ 90k.
    The dipstick is a royal PIA.

12. IL8APEX

IL8APEX Well-Known Member

I have a 2016 Transit with the 3.5L EB and love it for all the TORQUE, but I'm not in love with the 6spd trans. I also own a 2019 Ranger with the 10spd transmission mated to the 2.3L turbo I4. I wish I had the 10 speed on the 3.5L EB. That would be amazing.

-Tom

13. Letitsnow

Letitsnow Well-Known Member

I have owned a 2013 with the 5.0, and currently own a '23 Expedition (3.5) and a 2015 F150 (2.7). Not sure what the new 5.0 is like, but I really had to wind the '13 up to get any work done. Also had to drive like a grandma to get 17 mpg - Reliable but a bit boring. The 2015 F150 gets 22-25 mpg daily driving, the Expedition 20-22.

I much prefer the boosted motors, but can also afford to fix them. If money were tight I might choose the 5.0.

14. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

2018 f-150 Lariat with the 3.5 ecoboost. 50k miles. No problems except the cam phasers as previously mentioned. Although out of warranty technically, Ford replaced the phasers at no charge to me. Other than that, totally trouble-free. I change oil myself every 3-4,000 miles with full synthetic.

YamahaRick likes this.
  15. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

You might wanna google coyote oil consumption....it's a thing. Google 3.5 cam phasers also...its a thing. BOTH have issues.

My 2020 Ecoboost 2.7 is my work/daily and i've put 91k on it so far in a little over 2 years. No issues and way more fun to drive than any v8 n/a truck I've owned (I've had 7 since 2011). I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. I also use it to tow our small toyhauler to the track as well. Th e2.7 has the least amount of issues of the three...and is also not the slowest of the bunch...the 5.0 is. lol

16. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

I'll have to do that... since mine has refused to show it to me itself. :D

17. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Do NOT buy a 2011. If you do, replace the glow plugs.

18. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Seems odd that modern engines with modern synthetic oil require changes that often. Dino oil, I understand 3k intervals, but I don’t think most run dino oil in turbo motors?

I don’t know the engine and believe you, but I put in that much mileage every 4-5 weeks and expect to get 7500 out of Dino oil changes and more out of synthetic commuters. Maybe I’m doing it wrong and that’s why I popped two CNG civic motor head gaskets.

19. TurboBlew

Google it huh?? Part of the 5.0 plasma liner issues were the grandmas not feeding a lil speed to their ride or refusing to use 5w-30 or 40 oil. The 5w-20 was for CAFE purposes if you note how Ford changed to 5w-30 on later models. Ring seating... its a still a thing in modern power plants. If you read some of the complaints these morons were flabbergasted they had to check their engine oil every fill up. Some even let a 9 qt sump get down to 3 quarts that's not a TSB its negligence.

If you have clear title to the 2.7 I will gladly demonstrate my "slow 5 oh" 4wd crew cab that runs mid 13s @ 104mph in the 1/4 with an open diff.
    Ill even give you 15 mins to crawl under & over the truck so you can see its all OEM Ford parts. You realize the 5.0 in the F150 is the exact same engine in the Mustang?? I didn't buy it to
    drag race but it sure hilarious to pump in some E85 and romp the accelerator.

20. TurboBlew

its cheap insurance as they are all pretty hard on oils.
    On my 2012 I used to go <5,000 miles between changes which was roughly 6 weeks. By the time I left my 3.5 EB truck had ~220,000 miles all on fleet bulk 30wt oil... and didnt burn a drop between changes.
    Most of my drives were 350-500 miles a clip and I rarely towed anything.
    I drive a Silverado 1500 6.2 these days... which calls for 5-20wt. My fleet manager told me to change the oil when the oil monitor reaches 20%. I disobey them and change it at ~50%... because if I let it go
    that extra length it starts to burn the oil so if Im going to wait in line at quick service Im just having them change the oil vs adding a quart. Its the same amount of time.

Boman Forklift likes this.