1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Wheel Bearing, Oct 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I should probably sell my crf230, since I haven't even started it for five years or so. Might be too far from you, thougb.

2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Damn, I'd be supremely pissed.

3. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

I never ride dirt much. it's a 2017 with only 39 hours on it. Time to let it go

4. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

Whew, glad to see you are on the other side of the country from me, really think for how I ride I would want a 500 anyway. Have to sadly agree with the others Craigslist is dead, marketplace is where everything moves.

Good luck with the sale.

tecknojoe likes this.
  5. rd400racer

Now I'm looking at a 2006 WR450F. Seems to be in decent shape, guy is asking 3500, going to offer 3000. Originally was on the lookout for
    a DRZ400E but after watching some comparisons the WR appears to be the better bike. Only thing I'm reading is that it requires a bit more maintenance. I'll be using it mainly as a trail bike. Anyone have real world experience?

[​IMG]

6. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I have two friends that rode those for a while and never had problems. They only got something different because we ride a lot of really tight gnarly single track and those are a bit big/heavy for that.

rd400racer likes this.
  7. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Why a 450? Those things are beasts in the woods and not in a fun way haha. I'd never do a DRZ-those things are fat pigs.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  8. rd400racer

No particular reason. I was searching bikes and it popped up. My son has been talking about us doing the KAT and it seemed like a good bike for that. Keep in mind I've got a YZ250 already.

9. Spooner

Gotcha, yeah 450's overheat so easy unless you're really keeping the pace up and just feel too powerful in the woods to me. I'd look for a woods oriented two stroke like a 300xc or something. They feel about 50lbs lighter and the power is super manageable but has the snort if you really want to get it going.

10. rd400racer

I did see a couple of those 300's for about the same money as the WR but keep thinking that being a KTM, I'm just looking for trouble. Is that totally false?

11. Spooner

There is a reason they hold their value really well. I've had one KTM and two huskies and have had very good luck with them. Really right now the TPI model bikes from 20-22 are a killer buy right now as so many people are dumping them to go to the TBI models. I had a 2020 TX300 and put 100 hours on it with zero issues. I had a 2012 250xc that I put a zillion hours on too and really only had issues with starters. I am on a 23 TBI model and its killer for sure but the TPI was awesome and super easy to ride. Having an oil tank was rad too as you never had to mess with mixing gas and the power was telepathic. Every time I had a buddy ride it they couldn't believe how easy it was to ride.

rd400racer likes this.
  12. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

I'm just an amateur dirt rider but will give my unsolicited 2 cents...

Depends on what you want to do with the bike. Any 450 is not an ideal tight single track (think goat trail type stuff). They are on the heavy side and have stupid amounts of torque and power. They are the liter bikes of the dirt bike world. Most everyone, pros included, will go faster on a smaller bike in those conditions. I've never boiled over my bike, but it does have oversized radiators and a higher pressure cap (still no fans, as the FX never had fans from the factory).

That said, as soon as the trail opens up just a little bit, they are amazingly fun. As long as the trail isn't so tight that you have to literally weave your bars between trees, you'd be fine as a trail rider. Fire roads, ATV/side by side trails, modest MX type stuff? 450 all day, with power that makes you grin every time you crack the throttle. And from the maintenance perspective, honestly they typically see far less wear/tear per given hours since you aren't wringing their necks like you would with a 250 4 stroke.

Did a lot of riding with my 450FX and my buddies 250FX. On the goat trails, I wanted his bike, no doubt about it. Big ass rock gardens (talking rocks the size of Zuma's and shit), yeah, smaller bike the better.

That generation WR is a rock solid platform, but heavy as fuck. Despite the irony of sharing my listing of my bike and coming off like a salesman, but the newer platforms are just better in every way. Fuel injection, much lighter chassis, better suspension. The FX model is between the motocross version and the WR platform, with a wide ratio transmission that has a granny first gear and tall 5th. There is no single perfect dirt bike for every situation, but if you wanted the best compromise of something that could basically do it all - trail riding, light moto cross, more technical riding, or wide open desert style terrain...you won't beat the 450FX.

Did I mention I have TRS pins for it too? LOL

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2017-Yamaha-YZ+450FX-5027308287

But in all seriousness, if you're looking for a reliable trail bike, you can't beat that bike you shared...but fuck carbs. I love the fuel injection on mine, and having ridden that generation WR a good bit, I can undoubtedly say there's a very, very noticeable improvement in weight/handling from the ~2005-10-ish generation and the 2016+.

MELK-MAN and rd400racer like this.
  13. rd400racer

Thanks, that's an excellent write up. I had never even heard of the FX. For right now, I'm just looking at this bike as a goof around trail machine. We have a club in N Ky called Saddleback East and they have loads of normal type trails and I think my son and I will join there. I haven't been on a dirt bike in many years, so I'll be starting this by going real easy at first. Main reason I'm even looking is because I've got $3K burning a hole and this bike seems to fit the bill. And that's all I want to spend right now. But if I end up really enjoying the scene, I'll up my machine next year. Pretty sure I can buy a $3K bike this year and damn near get my money back next year if I upgrade.

14. Wheel Bearing

You're not wrong on the fact that once a bike kinda hits its rock bottom on pricing, they tend to stay there, so you could likely buy and resell anything you get and your net loss isn't going to be a whole lot.

My bike of choice would be based on what your son is riding, and try to pair them together. A Honda CRF230/Yamaha TTR225/230 whatever they are these days are like a bone stock SV650. Sure, you can track/race a bone stock SV650...until you realize you blow through the fork travel, the shock feels worse than a blown out pogo stick, and the brakes are trash. But it's a great backroads cruising bike. The little 230's are the same way. Way underpowered, steel frames, heavy as fuck, but absolutely perfect for taking it easy on trails.

If your son is looking to go out and ride at even a brisk pace, you'd be annoyed with a 230 very quickly when you just don't bottom out the forks, but "THONK!" them every time you hit a root faster than 15MPH.

On the opposite end, if you're on a race-y 250 or 450 and your son is riding a 230...you're going to be wanting to go fast the entire time, meanwhile, he's hanging on for dear life on that POS bike...

The newish (2016+) 450's can be compared to the newer 2015-ish liter bike technology. Electronics are better, lighter chassis, etc. The mid '00's dirt bikes, like the WR you posted, are in the realm of the early 00's liter bikes. Still a ton of power and everything you need to get you in trouble any day of the week, but there's undoubtedly a difference between the two.

And, from the age perspective, those older bikes tend to nit pick you with little shit. Put the bike on the stand....wheel shakes like Michael J Fox. Fuck. Set of wheel bearings coming up...take the wheel off, brake pads are shot. OK, whatever no big deal. Push the piston back, then the fucking caliper seizes on you. Turn the triple trees unloaded and feels gritty...bearings are half dust...and so on and so on.

But if you're a vintage road racer, hell, you weirdos get off on shit like that. More power to you :D

Last edited: Aug 28, 2023
    rd400racer likes this.
  15. rd400racer

I cracked up at that last line because it fits me to a T! He just bought an RMX250 so that's what he'll be on and I still have a 96 YZ250 (although I've never ridden it...long story). Looks like I just bought the WR so we'll see how it goes. Taking it over to MIL's in WV this weekend to give it a go, she has plenty of hills to work it out.

Really appreciate your info. About the last time I paid any attention to dirt bikes was when the Monoshock came out:D

Wheel Bearing likes this.
  16. Wheel Bearing

Just make sure the battery is strong and the electric start system works good. It's not difficult starting a 450 when your leg is fresh and you're in the garage dicking around on a Saturday afternoon. Quite a bit different story when you're 4 hours deep into riding, already crashed 10 times that day, tumbled off the bike, boot is soaking wet, THEN have to kick start that 450...then it's a mother fucker.

I would have been tempted to throw a heavier flywheel on the 250 and call it a day...you can make those YZ's pretty nice trail bikes with just a little bit of work.

Oh, and the Rekluse clutches are awesome.

MELK-MAN and rd400racer like this.
  17. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

How much are you asking? I'm wanting to get either a 350, 450, or 500 EXC-F.

18. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I remember about 10-15 years ago, having trouble starting my KX250 2 stroke. I wished I had a 4 stroke with electric start.

I crashed it multiple times trying to make it up this gnarly hill, with a broken clutch lever, in Gorman. I was so beat up and pissed off, I couldn't make it. One of the guys at the top, with a 4 stroke, was making fun of me, and I told him, to shut the f up, or I was kicking his ass when I finally reach him, even if it takes me all year to get up the got damn hill. :crackup::D

rd400racer likes this.
  19. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

Sorry it just sold

20. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

if you're gonna be trail riding a lot, you better get a fan kit for it.. and may consider a rekluse auto clutch but that would cost about half of what you are paying for the bike . so.. not cost effective. as said already, a 450 is a LOT of motor for trail use, but a WR is better than a full on mx 450. keep your eye out for a wr250 ? pretty sure all the wr's have electric start at least.

rd400racer likes this.