1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jerez circuit going the VIR route.

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Aug 25, 2023.

1. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

They don't look that bad to me. The ones at Miller seemed worse than that.

2. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

What's weird is, the ones still stacked up don't look anywhere near as aggressively pointed.
    Optical allusion?

3. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

Well I just added to the conversation in your other thread but this one has much better pictures. I agree these are excessive. I hate to imagine what those could do to a rider unfortunate enough to go sliding across them in his leathers.

4. VR45 Troll

VR45 Troll Site Mod Upgraded to Troll. Formerly “Maximum”

5. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Looks to me it’s being laid down on top of the track for some kind of race. With the gaps beneath it, I’m going to bet on it is removable.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  6. surfingsk8r

surfingsk8r Well-Known Member

It's funny to me that you linked the info about that as if the people on this board don't know who that is or what happened. Showing your age a bit I think.

socalrider, 418 and 5axis like this.
  7. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

I'll bet there a significant number of folks here not familiar with the situation. Sad, but true.

Remember, that was 30 years ago. According to Broome, that was before motorcycle racing was invented.

8. wac

wac Well-Known Member

No need for a long lap penalty. That will take you out.

418 likes this.
  9. surfingsk8r

surfingsk8r Well-Known Member

Well then maybe I am showing my age lol.

10. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Then I think about shit that happened when I was in high school (Chernobyl, Challenger) and realize that was damn near 40 years ago. :confused:

11. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Get off my lawn, you stupid young kid.

auminer likes this.
  12. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

13. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

14. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Better than the shit we had at Rd Atl in the late 80’s, early 90’s

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You really think we don't know who Wayne is or what happened to him and felt the need to post a link to Wiki? Good lord....

DJ Baker likes this.
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Anyone who has watch MA being created knows who Wayne is and knows he's in a chair...

17. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

I don't think anyone here would argue the point that tracks used to be a lot less safe. I think that's kind of the point here. It's kind of rare to see a track spending money these days to make things less safe. These rumble strips would certainly discourage cars from straying too far out on them, but I can't help wondering how much thought the track management / engineers gave to motorcycles when they decided to go with this solution.

18. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Considering they are FIM approved, I would say it is likely engineers and track management gave thought to motorcycles.

19. VR45 Troll

VR45 Troll Site Mod Upgraded to Troll. Formerly “Maximum”

Many people would know he's in a wheel chair but I bet most people dont know the specifics that caused the trauma which is why I posted the link.

From the wiki oink:

"He slid into the gravel trap at high speed, breaking his spine against the raked surface designed as a safety feature for car racing"

YamahaRick likes this.
  20. DJ Baker

DJ Baker Well-Known Member

FWIW, the first third of them from the edge of the track looks fairly flat.