1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mid Ohio MA Again?

Discussion in 'General' started by grasshopper, Aug 25, 2023.

1. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

I still remember almost highsiding into a full flying W coming out of the keyhole 1st lap in a SBK race and it trying to do it every corner after that.Came in and went to see Walt about his Michelin rear and he looks at it and starts peeling off a tar snake I likely picked up on the warm up lap.

2. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

"Pussy Racers"

HPPT likes this.
  3. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Yep

Attached Files:

rcarson15, 03RumbleBee and 418 like this.
  4. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

Heard from someone who'd prolly know more than a lot of us on here that they are planning the repave to start in October. This was said to me by a staff member of Mid-O when i was there for the vintage days.

Re-pave would be cool. Only other concerning places TBH are turns 9 and 11. Everyone I've watched tuck the front into 9 has always made it to the wall (well, air fence now) and the exit of 11 seems scary AF if shit goes wrong. The wall is pretty close, and there are stacks of hay bails to get you all floppin around as you're coming into it. lol.

FWIW, I'll still be on the VMD grid next year. lol That track/event is so fun. I came a day earlier this year just to drink beers, eat flamin hot cheeto's, and cuss a little on the Thursday.

5axis and rd400racer like this.
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Repave is for sure planned and MA won't go there on current pavement.

That being said, I'll believe when I see the pictures of the work happening even though I know for sure the track wants it to be better as much as we all do.

R/T Performance, stk0308 and ekraft84 like this.
  6. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

That's the problem with the place. It's either pretty good, or slick as shit, and not just when its wet. A repave would be great, but that won't fix the corner coming out of thunder valley where the wall is way too close.

7. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

That’s the first road race track I’ve ever ridden on, with California Superbike School. I loved that layout, and scared myself a few times. When I tried road racing, a couple years later at Willow Springs, I remember thinking the Mid Ohio layout was much more fun.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

First track I ever rode too, Kawasaki ticket to ride in the mid-80s.

Boman Forklift and exracer941 like this.
  9. 27

27 Well-Known Member

man I love that track… it almost ended me numerous times but I couldn’t get enough…

the concrete was fine… we used the lip as a burn… seriously…

the slick anti skid shit after the last repave was ice… I did a test for the track right after and the watered it for my opinion…. I slid though the keyhole straight up with the wheel at lock… told them that’s ice… I’m done :)

I did get to play the rest of the day after it dried so that was fun

10. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Hopefully they get the Road America crew!

Monsterdood likes this.
  11. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Pridmore said in the podcast that it will be the same contractor that paved Road America

12. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Gino - expand please, haven't to Road America in forever.

tks
    M

13. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I haven't been there since the repave, but everyone raved about how good it was. Laguna, not so much. So my point was if Mid Ohio is getting repaved, I hope they get the guys who did the Road America job!

RRP and Boman Forklift like this.
  14. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Laguna probably had them use non oil based asphalt, and guarantee no children were harmed within 100 miles.

The contractor probably had to make donations to whatever organization floated the counties boat that week. And, I’m sure it was difficult work for the crew, using all those zero emissions trucks. Then waiting their turn for chargers, on the solar farm they trucked out with diesel semi’s.

15. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Linders finally figured it out! :crackup:

16. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

LOL some may not know this, but I am pretty handy with a Motor Grader and your comment made me laugh thinking about "green shit" and just thinking about electric graders, compactors, etc that would really suxck to have to use, especially with a full blade of material. Man I dont even wanna think about it.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  17. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

I know the company that hauled there test materials in. Ill shoot him a text and see if he has anything on the repave. I hope it does go through, but damn its a kick in the nuts to have that place 10 mins from my house and the boy cant ride there.:mad:

18. prm

prm Well-Known Member

I thought the issue with Laguna was that they raced cars on it before it cured so some bumps formed in the still soft asphalt? Was there more to the paving job than that?

stk0308 likes this.
  19. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I'll believe it when I see it. Finally quit going there when a buddy went down in thunder valley during a warm up lap. He said he was going about 40mph. This was at VMD. I rode that track a lot and still love it. I would go back in a heartbeat if the repave is any good.

stk0308 and RRP like this.
  20. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

I was under the impression that the same company that paved Road America did Laguna Seca (thats what all the talking heads reported). Upon further investigation I learned that Advanced Materials Services Consultants, Walbec Group, NorthEast Asphalt completed Road America. I cant find any info on who did Laguna.