1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on: Racing over my head - Super Hooligans?

Discussion in 'General' started by Kurlon, Jun 1, 2023.

1. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

End of this month?
    Are they sublimated or polo or what?

2. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Polos, with what was initially planned to be embroidering on one side of the chest but waiting to see if I'm just going to switch to screen print to be quicker.

3. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I've got an EBR 5mm rotor from Sweeden, and a new EBC rotor along with the already warped to shit EBC that came on the bike, plus two of the last update rotor mounting kits. Stock caliper currently has new EBC EPFA pads, sucks to hear they're not up to the task in this application as I'm used to their feel on other bikes. I haven't pulled the trigger on a ZTL2 caliper setup due to cost, if I'm going in that deep on the front end I may just go to an R6 setup to avoid the quirkiness of the ZTL down the line? I'm hearing mixed things on the ZTL2 caliper being any kinder or not to rotors, does it do anything other than improve overall brake power?

Good to know on fuel, as I don't know the bike's consumption yet I was going to keep it topped off anyways, and now I have a functional low fuel sensor too. I just bolted a set of XBR footpeg plates, and discovered cast aluminum can bend! Left plate clearly took a hit and has the peg aiming down and forward, I would have figured it would have cracked before moving that much, hopefully another set arrives today. I'm using a Renthal low rise bar, plus the 1in risers that came on the bike, without putting new brake/throttle/clutch cables on going any lower just results in things getting too bound up, so this will have to do for now. I've got a zero rise Renthal as well but that was a no go. In hindsight I'm almost wondering if I should have gone with wider dirt bars?

Primary hold up, I'm still waiting on a belly pan. Got two on order... no word on either yet and getting worried.

4. KNickers

KNickers Well-Known Member

I think the ztl2 caliper opens up more options for of compounds. Stock ebr1190 pads will probably work fine. Nissin race compound is what ebr sold for racing applications if you can find any.

5. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

Don't forget to go with a 19mm master to match the bigger caliper. Brembo sells 2 compounds for that ZTL-2, I like them both.

Look into the EBR RX brake scoop as well, there are 3-D print options if you can't find OE.

6. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I see there are a few electric fuel pumps now that will screw right onto VP 5 gallon jugs, anyone make one that'll go directly onto a VP 5 gallon fuel can?

7. Cooter!

My Tera Pump came with all the adaptors you'd ever need.

8. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

That's the brand I'm leaning towards, you get the one with the lever control at the spigot?

In other news, found a reason for going for a ZTL2 caliper... so the 5mm finned rotor fits. It fouls the inside of the six pot caliper due to a smaller ID. It's slight, I *could* have let it self clearance... :D Put a new EBC on instead, hopefully tomorrow the weather is good and I can get on the road and see if my brakes are still a juddery mess. If they are... well... fuck 'cause I'm out of ideas. New rotor, new pads (EBCs, so, not liked by the Buell community but it's what I knew at the time), new current generation rotor mount hardware, everything is clean, bled, fresh fluid.

9. Cooter!

I just got the regular Tera pump but it does shut off automatically. It helps to set the can on the footpeg so it doesn't need to lift the fuel quite so far. The AA batteries do last longer than I thought they would. Long enough to not bother with rechargable ones or mess around with converting it to run on a Milwaukee tool battery:D

Interesting about the rotor and the 6-piston ZTL? Never ran across that interference before. I've also found that EBC HH pads are the go-to for most Buell riders? But it's a funny group, and not many racers in it.

I'll be curious to see how that brake combo works for you? Hoping for the best, but I believe I see a ZTL-2, EBR rotor, 19mm radial master, solid rotor mount kit, and brake cooling scoop in your futureo_O

10. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

It's slight, but I can hear/feel it and have witness marks. I could likely clearance the caliper as I'd just need to take down the casting roughness, likely I'm on the wrong end of the tolerance stack up on this bike for it to work vs others. I have chatted with one racer, he prefers the EBC rotor to the 5mm unit, thicker, feels it warps less. Didn't have a strong opinion on the ZTL2 over the ZTL other than expanded pad options, a bit more ultimate stopping power at the expense of harder on rotors. I'm also curious how an R6 16mm master would work with the ZTL2, I normally prefer a softer lever coming from Sumo. My Beringer 6 pot on my YZ you can put to the bar with one finger, but you'll NEVER need to, amazing feel and modulation on tap. I use a TTR125 master on my Brembo four pot radial on my KTM500 for similar feel.

11. Cooter!

The smaller master let the lever smack the grip barely building any pressure at all:(. IMO 19mm is pretty dang perfect but a 20mm would stiffen it up a little if you have Hulk fingers like me.

12. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Hrmm... good to know.

Random question, for people with no sidestands, what's your oil level check procedure on these rigs?

13. Cooter!

If someone checks/fills a Buell like a metric bike (upright), I find I have to drain about 3/4 of a quart to get it correct. So... thats close?

You could set the level while you still have a kickstand, then do the Turkey thermometer mod at any length that works with the bike upright and the correct oil volume already in it, mark accordingly while gaining valuable oil temp info, win!
    Screen Shot 2023-08-20 at 4.55.37 PM.png

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Why would you need a pump on a 5 gallon can?

15. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I normally split my fuel into 2.5gal cans 'cause not much upper body strength plus heavy awkward can/etc inevitably leads to spills. Looking for ways to reduce stress/effort to minimize my energy drain over the weekend.

16. Cooter!

Because I'm old, tired, wearing leathers in a hot pit, want an accurate fill level, lazy, like cool-guy gadgets, don't like spills, Buells suck to fill fast, have lots of free AA batteries from my GF's drawer, and it's makes the Ducati guys jealous because its red.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm old and fat but damn y'all have me beat on lazy. I must say I am impressed! :D

18. Cooter!

I was being facetious of course:crackup:, but honestly the ease of use, the lack of mess, and precision fill, makes it one of my favorite pit box purchases.

That and a decent rechargeable air pump:cool:

19. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Progress.

Attached Files:

Gino230, ChemGuy, MachineR1 and 2 others like this.
  20. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Not a solid start… got tires swapped, through tech, didn’t miss the meeting, got through headshots and… soda exploded in the back of my jeep and neither set of tire warmers made it into the rig… This heat is melting my brain, I’ve been running a 150+ heart rate all afternoon.

Monsterdood likes this.