1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Razors

Discussion in 'General' started by DrA5, Aug 14, 2023.

1. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Seems like the market is getting filled up with little boutique men's razors that want to take on Gillette and Schick.

With Harry's going full "R-word" with "Chest feeders" and "birthing person with a bonus hole" garbage comments from their CEO, which of the smaller brands are actually good and not stupid woke?

Good shave, especially for tough whiskers and sensitive skin. I would even consider the ones that are up there with the stupid Gillette and Schick cartridge prices........

I'm interested. Thanks in advance.

2. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

The least woke razor company is the one I use.

Testosterone and fuck your need to look like a preteen pimple popper. :Poke: :Poke:

:D

3. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

I’ve got a Muhle safety razor that’s great. Check them out.

Gigantor24 and cincigp like this.
  4. VR45 Troll

VR45 Troll Site Mod Upgraded to Troll. Formerly “Maximum”

Old school safety razors are available from a variety of manufacturers.

Gigantor24, GixxerJohn011 and cincigp like this.
  5. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Because there’s money in it. Do a startup, buy the blades from China, throw your brand on the market, undercut P&G on their pricing, attack P&G’s pricing and. . . Wait for p&g to buy you.

some of the brands are house brands (think meat from Costco), some are Gillette (p&g) selling these junk brands and some are people waiting for p&g to buy them.

7. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

I don’t know how anyone doesn’t get an electric now. So much faster. Less clean up. More time to workout or ride your motorcycle.

zertrider and Banditracer like this.
  8. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

I subscribed to Jeremy's razors for the obvious reasons. Unfortunately I was less than impressed. Their razors pulled and were painful for me. Still not going back to Gilette, but it might be time to try a safety razor.

9. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

I don’t understand why anyone would shave, unless they were so good looking they wanted to show off their face.

gixxernaut and KneeDragger_c69 like this.
  10. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

I started to use "Harrys" about 2 yrs ago for the majority of my shaving.
    At 1st they worked pretty damn well, by well I mean not easily clog and I could get 4-5 shaves out of them if I kept them rinsed and clean.
    Then this year something has changed, they don't last and they do not shave as nice. Plus they've increased in price about 1/3.

So I decided to go back to bargain pack disposables 15 for $7.00 etc..

They last me 1 or 2 shaves..that's it.

I have no idea how my beard compares against others..but I have to rinse and tap my shavers after each stroke or two, otherwise they just get clogged.
    Been shaving practically everyday since 1982...

But is what it is, I've tried electric many yrs ago but I never noticed even remotely comparable results vs a blade?

Perhaps they've changed but the markets too flooded with elec razors to get a decent assessment

I could use a kick ass electric , as I shave my head as well....sure would make life easier.

I think I deserve the little things after all these yrs of loyal service.

11. cincigp

cincigp Well-Known Member

Either a Merkur safety razor or buy a vintage one off of Ebay, and learn about proper shave prep and your hair grain direction. The actual razors can be an investment, but the blades are dirt cheap and you will get a really good shave. There are also tons of different blades with different characteristics to try, so you can fine tune your setup. This was my main razor until I did like a lot of people are saying and quit shaving.

12. VR45 Troll

From personal experience, do not go into business with China. You have been warned.

13. VR45 Troll

There are German razor companies and pharmaceutical companies where you can get great shaving cream underarm deodorant etc if you look around on Amazon too.

14. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

Yep. They’re stupid cheap and actually really helped me with in grown hairs. Apparently the eleventy billion blade cartridges pull the hair up and the next blade cuts what should be below the skin.

15. OutOfSpec

OutOfSpec eccentric thousandaire

another vote for safety razor. Great results, minimal learning curve and effort over disposable cartridges, insanely cheap. I think I got a pack of 100 dual-sided blades on Amazon for like $5.

you could shave like a king (shave every day, brand new blade each time) for the price of a couple individual fancy disposable razor cartridges.

16. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Merkur for me too, bought one 10 years ago.
    Bought a variety pack of blades, found the one I like (persona platinum for me)
    Spend $20 bucks on 200 blades.
    Use a new blade every other shave (even though I probably dont need), never been happier with it.

The other day TSA asked me to dispose of the blade on my carry on, had to use a regular disposable shaver, those things are so terrible.

17. diggy

diggy Well-Known Member

Another vote for safety razors.. Merkur Mk34c for me. Taylor of Old Bond Street Shaving Cream and feather blades. Seriously good shave and the price is totally negligible once you have everything. Blades cost almost nothing

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I cheaped out after sticker shock at Gillette ($35 for 10) and bought Harry’s (I think) 4 pack of disposable 3 blade razors and some house brand shave gel.
    Better than the single blade throw aways but inconsistent and won’t go that route again.

Been there, done that. ;)

19. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Edwin Jagger razor and Gillette blades by the 100 pack...

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Braun (I think) cordless, gets the whiskers that aren't beard close enough. Screw the regular razors and shaving cream and all that hassle.