1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favorite motorcycle memories.

Discussion in 'General' started by dave3593, Aug 9, 2023.

1. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Why did your Dad know you were fast when having sex? That's just weird....

2. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

I'm betting it was an FZR, as he called out the '89 600. Probably got bonked by a fork once or twice, and just can't remember.

3. 27

27 Well-Known Member

I thought so too, but maybe he went vintage racing :) he is from IL and you guys are odd :D

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  4. DJ Baker

DJ Baker Well-Known Member

I was there on the inside rail between turns 3 & 4. Kenny was Giving It The Beans!

It's a shame Rossi didn't show up at the Sacramento Mile this year as rumored. Would have made for a nice bookend for the KR Sr moment.

Once a Wanker.., cav115 and 27 like this.
  5. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Hey man, I moved to the Land of Cheese in '17. I'm no longer a Flatlander. Ironically, I did end up racing V5 when I ran out of money....does that make me odd? Which reminds me, dug my old KZ out of storage after....25 years? A bit rough, but worth restoring.
    upload_2023-8-11_9-56-24.jpeg

6. 27

27 Well-Known Member

I’m pretty certain that our geographic location doesn’t actually designate our oddness… might contribute but not the original catalyst :D

like the weird thread… love that about us all

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  7. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Badass!

8. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

When people ask me why I'm so weird, I just blame all the head injuries. Nevermind I was like that at birth.

SundaySocial and 27 like this.
  9. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

From '65 when I got an 80cc something with a knobby on the back till I quit racing in '05 is all one great motorcycle memory that Id do all over again in a heartbeat.

Boman Forklift, cav115 and 27 like this.
  10. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

If people ask you why you’re so weird, find weirder people to hang out with.

Even if they’re all imaginary. ;)

11. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

I'm
    Screenshot_20230124-203348.png
    1460186746731jpg.0~2.jpg
    Seems I Loved that bike as much as you did.

The day I brought her home 1989.

Totally irresponsible financial decision in my part. I was only 21. I promptly went and spent another 4-5 k on performance upgrades.. Dropped 40 lbs off her added a 1040 kit, Cylinder work, Yoshi full race pipe & carbs. 1989-1990 over 150 h.p. ,10 second flat 1/4 mile times and over 170 mph top end..

Thing was a absolute monster..came straight off my beloved RZ350 onto this... I remember vividly being able to leave 40' streaks of rubber by just turning the throttle.

The bike was 30 mph faster in the 1/4 mile than the RZ350 could manage flat out..lol she was no doubt the fastest machine I'll ever own.
    GOOD TIMES!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2023
  12. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Dude....the pants!:eek:

This old Rz likes this.
  13. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Ducati Desmo put on a trackday/cookout at CMP one time. They had a big party tent and at the end of the day we watched I think the Laguna GP round? It was a long time ago. They gave out a bunch of swag I can't remember what celebs were there if any. It did leave an impression as one of the best trackdays I remember going to.

14. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Now I remember you for sure! you rode that thing for the riders school… you said gas or brakes… never coasting….

in that class with me was Nevil Algie from NZ, now Indy and a chubby English bloke that had a Performance Bikes he was in for riding naked wheelies

yeah completely normal group of guys in racing :D

15. 418

418 Expert #59

Getting my knee down first time on street for sure. I was glowing. :D

16. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

So can I take credit for you being fast? :D Yeah, I did the school on a lot of different bikes. Early on I used an EX500 that Kawasaki had provided, and at some point I literally mooched bikes off of students that had gone through the class previously. For a while, I didn't even own a bike (having kids can have that effect), so I would show up to do the school and borrow someone's bike. In some cases, the student would let me race it, which was really awesome of them. Had a lot of people go through my class that went on to some level of success. I vaguely remember some of the Hayden boys coming through, or at least that's what I was told. Truth be told, if that's correct, it was strictly a formality, as they were already racing dirt track. Actually, doing the school was really rewarding when you had someone get some benefit from it. I had a woman show up once that really had no business being on track. She could barely ride a bike, so there was no way I could give her a license. I told her if she would show up for other classes, I would work with her individually until she could pass (which she eventually did). I didn't charge her for the extra classes, as it was more about helping someone reach their goal. She ended up qualifying for the GNF, and got a top 10.

Boman Forklift, 27 and ungwaha like this.
  17. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

We was there too !

Epic.

18. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Yeah man, that’s what this is all about for sure. Great people sharing passion for our sport. Thanks for helping me get started!

19. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Naw dude...that's not what it's about. It's about having someone talk you into racing, spending all your money, and then making sure you curse someone else with the disease.

I used to keep all the written tests and records from my students, but lost track of them somewhere. It would be interesting to see who went through and where they landed. I'm getting to a point where my memories are fuzzy (which is why I can't exactly remember Tommy and Nicky coming through), but there were some that stuck in my head. Like the kid that showed up with an RS250 that his Daddy bought for him, cuz he raced motocross, and didn't want a stupid streetbike. Kid wadded it the first lap around Grattan. Then the dad threatened me if I didn't give him the license. Or the 2 guys (I think brothers) who showed up on brand spanking new '85 GSXR's, with clearly very little street experience. They did formation crashing on the jump at Grattan, and then asked me who to talk to about filing a claim for the damage. :confused: I told them talk to EJ (the owner of the track). Had Bob Sandy, who I think did pretty well.....Ray Yoder...

27 likes this.
  20. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

I feel like COTA, NJMP, PIRC, and Road America are still calling my name.

Remember Thursday night Thunder ? (Aka Pizza and beer with all of the local idiots.)