Hearing aids

Discussion in 'General' started by Photo, Aug 3, 2023.

1. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

I know the old saying " you get what you pay for" but has anyone tried and had good luck with otc cheap hearing aids?

2. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

3. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I tried the $4000 ones and they sucked. It was like getting a wet willie.....Can't imagine the cheapos are any better.

Photo likes this.
  4. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

I don't want to shell out the 4-$7000.00 and get the same result. Unfortunately I'm going to have to do something.
    over the counter hearing aid.

5. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

:whoosh:

:D

Boman Forklift and cav115 like this.
  6. CBRRRRR999

CBRRRRR999 Well-Known Member

MIL lived with us and lost about 10k worth before we started getting El Cheapos of Ebay. She never noticed. I'm at the point it's a consideration as well. I had some hearing loss as a kid but adding loud bikes and cars, loud machinery spaces, thousands of scuba dives and many things that go boom to that has left me with 0 high frequency hearing.
    Conversational frequencies are ok but compromised so I'm getting pushed towards getting them by everyone who has to speak to me on the regular.

Photo likes this.
  7. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Uh-huh. I get it.

Oh blessed be, if all those who spoke to me on the regular would realize that it’s not deafness that stops me from hearing them, it’s disinterest and a keenly developed ability to selectively enable noise reduction. :D

CBRRRRR999, TurboBlew, Photo and 2 others like this.
  8. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I bought a cheep set off Amazon for a guy working for me who couldn't hear a bomb go off and he was happy with them.

Boman Forklift and Photo like this.
  9. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

Hope my wife doesn’t see this thread. She’s been moving her lips for quite a while at me about something but I don’t know what she said. It’s probably nothing.

10. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

That's called selective hearing. It happens to guy's that have been married awhile. :D

11. Evad101

Evad101 Well-Known Member

My mom, my brother and my sister all wear hearing aids for 20+ years, I will ask the brands they are currently using. I know my sister is using Blue Tooth connected ones she really likes.

And just like that... (while I could still edit the post) both my brother and sister use the Costco in ear ones, Kirkland Signature Brand made by Phonak.

They both like them, good quality and cant beat the price they say. Both have been wearing hearing aides for a long time and have had many pairs.

Photo likes this.
  12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Got to put a big muff and an overdrive in the chain.

13. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Has the OP looked at the audiology dept at Costco? I understand they’re reasonably priced and do a good job.

TurboBlew likes this.
  14. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

15. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

They have changed manufacturers for their hearing aids, Phonak is out.

https://hearinghealthmatters.org/he...ng-aid-review-phonak-resound-bernafon-rexton/

16. kyle carver

kyle carver Well-Known Member

From what I have found, is that the ones from an audiologist are built for your hearing loss. I have high frequency loss. I can’t hear the last 3 keys on a piano. The over the counter ones just amplify all the sounds. I just got a new set for $3,200. The type you get means a lot of difference in sound quality and comfort. I had the tiny ones that go inside your ear, because of their size sound quality isn’t as good as the ones that hang on the back of your ear. For me the ones that hang on the back of your ear are much more comfortable. To each their own. So after 2weeks of the new hearing aids, I sort of like my quiet world. Oh make sure they are rechargeable

TurboBlew, smooth and Photo like this.
  17. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

My mother paid a fortune for her Phonak and they never ever worked properly.

I was subscribing to this thread, curious to read what is out there....

I said I was subscribing to this thread, curious to read what is out there....

er... I was subscribing to this thread.

Argh! I'm curious to read what is out there....

18. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

evad 101 suggested costco I will probably check them out.

19. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

I was also wondering how the real cheap ones work, like the ones from mdhearing . I hate to pay $3000-7000 for something I can't load in my truck or ride it away.

Eeyore likes this.
  20. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

$1500 at Costco for good ones.