1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nuc-u-lear Power

Discussion in 'General' started by ChemGuy, Jul 26, 2023.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Had it for dinner Monday and breakfast yesterday....may have to start the cycle over again tonight :crackup:

StaccatoFan likes this.
  2. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

I like my key lime pie frozen

3. Phl218

Phl218 .

upload_2023-7-26_14-2-26.png

pfhenry likes this.
  4. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Warm blueberry pie with a huge dollop of niller ice cream.

Fuck aaaaaaalll yo’ couches! :D

5. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

I'm with Mongo, all pie is good hot, cold, or room temperature. Especially pumpkin, that shit is delicious cold with or without a glob of whipped cream on top.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  6. proprocket28

proprocket28 Well-Known Member

I've been pricing subsurface explorations for about a half dozen of these to begin next year.

ChemGuy likes this.
  7. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Hair pie would not be tasty at room temperature or colder.

8. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

9. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Is Edison going to steal the patents to that, or claim he invented it?

stk0308 and 27 like this.
  10. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

11. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I respectfully disagree. I will only eat cheese melted. It’s a texture thing for me.

12. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

I never did see the real benefit of using a scaled down version of a PWR (or especially a BWR). Almost everything in industry (computing aside) really hits a stride when it's scaled up. I can't see having dozens or hundreds of small 200mW power stations in a country when you could just have 1/4 the number of large dual unit plants to get the same power output.

The only real benefit I could see is transmission losses could be reduced because you could place these small units closer to the areas they're serving.

Either way, after seeing something like TISO encapsulated fuel - it's clearly the future if there are no fatal flaws that we've not yet heard about.

13. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Google Fort St Vrain in Colorado. HTGR built about 50 years ago. Nothing is new under the sun.
    PS, nothing especially bad about encapsulated fuel, just be wary about graphite moderators. Graphite was used in the first reactor pile but also was the source of the fire at Cherynoble.

14. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

I have not read about this specifically but the question as to why it's stable is spot on.

One possibility is the fuel nuggets since they are a mix keep the nuclear materials far enough apart to not runaway.

So it needs an intervention to make alot of heat. This intervention may be something like a controlled dosing of neutrons or something else. Neutrons can pass through solids and not get stuck since they have no charge but they can drive a reaction. They may well be using some other method to speed up the reaction but it is likely on an atomic scale. And of course they can turn down or off the intervention when they want the reaction to minimize.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2023
  15. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Yall mofos thought the plane wouldn't take off...:crackup:

Dan Dubeau likes this.
  16. CBRRRRR999

CBRRRRR999 Well-Known Member

Saw an interesting youtubes last night about several new proposed room temp and/or low pressure superconductors.
    We're headed towards some more stuff previously sci-fi even if these don't prove out, the path is narrowing.

17. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Also, google Windscale in the UK. A graphite moderated HTGR that also caught fire. Not specifically a pebble bed though. As a Nookular Engineer I'm not opposed to any development just that we must keep our vision in focus. There is no reward without risk...no free lunch...etc

TurboBlew and CBRRRRR999 like this.
  18. CBRRRRR999

CBRRRRR999 Well-Known Member

The USN neukulR fleet has been a paragon of safety development spurred on by the losses in the 60s.
    TANSTAAFL is often the result of an initial FUBAR or SNAFU before success.

19. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

If they just submitted their NRC paperwork, I wouldn’t hold my breath. Nuclear projects rarely come together. At this scale, a packaged system may see the light of day.

20. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

IMG_4348.jpeg