1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need a new bike :)

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Tre Hudson, Jul 16, 2023.

1. Tre Hudson

Tre Hudson Member

I’m so lost with all the different classes and bikes. I just got my bump and now I’m now looking for a bike to really get up to pace. I’m to scared of pushing pushing my 2023 zx6r cause its my only street bike and I can’t afford oem plastics every time something happens. So I’m in between a few bikes/classes.

options:
    2022 rc390 cup
    2006 sv650
    2009 r6
    2016 r3
    2022 r7

Essentials what I’m asking, if you were a 20 year old who is 6’2 160 lbs (180 geared) what bike would you have started on if you have full intentions of racing once up to pace?

William Schneider likes this.
  2. Mk4Matt

Mk4Matt Well-Known Member

sv650. Its cheap to buy, cheap to maintain and race.

You can race in Lwt superstock, Lwt superbike, and formula 2.

3. Tre Hudson

Tre Hudson Member

Thank you so much… that’s what I was thinking too, I just wanted to ask around before committing. I’m going to the WERA race at barber at the end of the month and most likely buying my bike right after :) thank you for the help

4. Michael Hausknecht

Michael Hausknecht Well-Known Member

You can run the same classes with the R7, but there are fewer used parts available and whether you get a prepped bike or a used street bike, you'll pay more for the bike. The R7 has a higher ceiling though than the SV.

5. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Make sure you check out the grid sizes for each class in your local area. You'd hate to spend the $$ and then find out there's only 3 of you racing em.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Everyone worrying about grid size is what keeps them small....

StaccatoFan and stickboy274 like this.
  7. Tre Hudson

Tre Hudson Member

I was thinking about building an r7 from a wrecked Copart bike. Like get a cheap sv650 or ktm rc390 and with the funds I keep from selling my fz07 buying and building an r7 race bike

8. Tre Hudson

Tre Hudson Member

Haha, That's partly why I am going to the WERA race at barber at the end of July. To see the size of the races, and to see if anyone is on the bikes I am currently choosing between. Thank you for the help.

9. Mk4Matt

Mk4Matt Well-Known Member

Ill be there on my SV all weekend. Give me a shout.

10. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

Well, you could do it like I did, and spend about $18,000 of your $15k budget to turn your 6R into a racebike.

I know you're thinking v-twin/SV. I looked at Copart auction bikes (perk of living in Texas, the public gets to buy), and the hit-or-miss-ness of the bike I wanted vs when I wanted to race this season decided me. I mean, I wanted to race in March, and I started ordering bodywork and such on 3 March, so I spent to convert my pristine street bike into a racebike.

Had I more time, I'd have bought someone else's racebike, first, and maybe considered the Copart route for a lowsided GSXR (because used parts are commonly found in the $3 bin at WalMart next to Barry Manilow CDs and B-movie DVDs).

cbush likes this.
  11. Quick6RR

Quick6RR Well-Known Member

If you wanted to stick with the 636 there’s actually one in the FS section right now, I think it was a 2021 for a nice price. Would make a dope race bike. Or just throw race fairings on your current 636.

12. Tre Hudson

Tre Hudson Member

I have definitely thought about it, but the zx6r isn't really my bike. My Dad wasn't super comfortable with me messing around with my super sketchy 2002 883 Harley I built into a café racer (rightfully so, I broke down or something broke every time I went to campus then "Fixed it" then rode it back to class the next day :)) So the fear of dropping a bike that expensive and not even mine is constantly going through my head in ever session I run. So at the moment I am not even held back by the fear of getting hurt its the fear of hurting that bike. That's why I think my best bet is to sell my personal bike (FZ-07) and buy a track bike I can really push myself on and learn to be fast.

13. Quick6RR

Quick6RR Well-Known Member

Any of the options you listed would work for sure then. I rode a 636 on the street so I did the same thing, sold my street bike and bought a 636 trackbike already setup to race.

14. William Schneider

William Schneider Well-Known Member

I like the SV route a lot; that's what I did. I'm also tall like you (6'5") and have worked through a lot of body position setup issues, so I have some insight on that. I'll be racing my SV at Barber as well at the end of the month. Shoot me a PM and maybe you can swing by my pits and chat for a bit.

15. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Why wouldn't you just grab bodywork and put it on your FZ-07? Did I miss that reasoning somewhere?

16. Tre Hudson

Tre Hudson Member

it would just cost a lot more than I’m willing to spend. I’m selling it for 6k and buying a track bike for 4-5k, so I could also use the left over money for track time, and parts for the track bike and starting to build my zx to be a track bike. That’s the hopeful plan at least

17. Tre Hudson

Tre Hudson Member

I definitely thought about it though… but I’d be in deeper than I can manage if I built the fz07

18. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

That’s fair, although in your shoes I’d prolly just throw some bodywork on the FZ and go from there.

DmanSlam likes this.
  19. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

I would buy an older 600/636 and race in V8MW and of course, you can also race up to C superstock/superbike if you'd like. Plenty of great bikes out there that most think are no longer competitive. Hint...it's club racing...the RIDER makes up the biggest X factor here.... I am on a 2008 CBR and not far off the pace of the front guys. I've seen tons of older R6s fully set up for not a lot of money also since they were the most popular. Don't get hung up on what brand...find what had most parts available and go from there. Great platforms to learn on and hone your skills.

I also come from LWT (SV) and can't argue with going that route either. You have to learn how to go fast on a slow bike...a 400 will also do this for you.

No matter what route you take...make sure the bike is solid, is set up suspension AND geometry wise so you can spend your time working on your skillset and not worrying about whether the bike is the issue or not. I'll be at Barber, come on by and chat (462).