1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on: Racing over my head - Super Hooligans?

Discussion in 'General' started by Kurlon, Jun 1, 2023.

1. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Bring it to Brainerd and I’ll show you all the best corners to throw it at the ground in. :D

2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

You ride?:D

notbostrom and pickled egg like this.
  3. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Loosely defined, perhaps. :crackup:

rd400racer likes this.
  4. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

My transport is coming back from Laguna to the Northeast- he might have a spot. If you're interested let me know and I'll ask for a price. He's VERY reasonable.

5. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Whatever you do for a bike. Make sure you get adequate shake down testing before your MA race weekend. Line up a track day at a minimum or a club race weekend before hand. Do not let P1 at COTA be the shake down, that never goes well. Realistically you need a shake down window and then a tune and adjust window. Good luck!

Gino230 likes this.
  6. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

7. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, I'm crazy, full of dumb ideas and I often follow through on them, but I'm not THAT crazy. Part of my criteria for locking in my entry will being very comfortable on whatever setup I've got.

8. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

9. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

LOL, ya that was me;) And thanks again for the support! Easier than I thought it would be and still runs great. I'm at a spot now where I'm 1.5 blocks from my shop and 3 blocks from my favorite brewery so It'd be REAL hard to make me commute in LA againo_O. But I've been a wrench-for-hire before (the Hot Rod Magazine garage is around the corner), so if you find yourself in a pickle and need some emergency work, reach out!

10. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Hmm, where do you live? What hours do you currently work? I'm sure some extra tire money and entry fee money would be nice. :)

I just hired a guy today, that can give me 3 days a week, plus evenings or weekends. I wanted full time, M-F, but in this economy of no one wanting to do dirty work, you take what you can find.

11. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

El Segundo, and no regular hours per se. Closed the shops and "retired" in 2010 and been just wingin' it since then:) Man, I feel ya about finding ANY help. It's hard to find someone that just shows up! Much less person thats a benefit. Sad state these days...

12. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

08 XB12XT in my garage, damn clean for it’s age, but the front brake needs TLC, massive judder and pads are just about gone. Rotor doesn’t show any visible wear, no signs of hotspots/etc, hoping a good cleaning and maybe a hone plus new pads and propper bedding in will clear it up. I’m going to replace the mounting hardware, flush the system and clean the caliper while I’m at it.

13. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

When mine did that, I learned from a former Bartels Harley mechanic to take it out on the freeway and do multiple high speed hard braking stops.

It made mine much better, but the pulse didn’t completely go away. I also sanded any glaze off the pads. Anyway, I had to buy a new rotor, hardware and whatever else came in a kit they had out at the time.

14. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Cleaned the rotor, verified it's floating properly on the wheel, no improvement. You can feel it pulsing back to the lever when you climb on it. Caliper needs to be rebuilt as well as it's not retracting well so I'm just going to plan on a full front end refresh. While I was fighting remounting the wheel the first time, I invented some new curse words and the desire to just R6 swap the front end grew REALLY strong.

I got it out on the road today, redoing the shift linkage plus dialing in primary chain tension and clutch setup has it shifting 'well' for a glorified lawn tractor engine so I'm happy with that improvement. The bike is a riot on the road, very raw compared to my Pan Am, not fast by any stretch of the imagination but boy was it egging me on to be dumb on the street. Test was going well till it died under heavy throttle a couple times, like it was low on gas. 3gal to top off says it shouldn't have been starving for fuel, and when hot it's got a cough at idle... time to dig deeper. But I like the bike, I can see where the attraction is.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  15. joec

joec brace yourself

this has seemed like the coolest of the classes to run in if you ask me. those ktms are fast. the bikes sounds great. looks like a ton of fun.

16. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I'm on the look out for a shock, STT or XT should both be the same overall length, dunno how many ever got Penske/Ohlins? I'm half tempted to get the OEM Showa rebuilt, there is a Racetech goldvalve kit available, though no one has XT data so no suggested spring rates, etc.

17. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

So what is the weapon of choice to have for this class

18. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

At the moment, top of the main class are the Indian FTR 1200, KTM Duke 890, and the Pan America is starting to appear on the podium as it's figured out. For the American Aircooled subclass the top bike is an RSD built Indian Chief, with some HD XR1200s and a big twin bagless bagger competing.

19. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Bars - Renthal has a set of zero rise units, curious if anyone knows of any that are 'mild' clubmans that will push the bars forward with minimal rise, no drop but not have the hard cut/welds clubmans use? Basically I'm looking to emulate clipons on tall risers staying above the top clamp.

20. Brad

Brad Swollen Member