1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Electric Car Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Apr 27, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Oh please.

Stop reading the marketing materials and engage the critical thinking part of your brain.

2. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Which EV is this with a $6K battery?

StaccatoFan and Boman Forklift like this.
  3. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

[​IMG]

4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

That's the labor to replace it and dispose of the old battery.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  5. diggy

diggy Well-Known Member

Yep, there is definitely only one poor old sap taking the battery pack straight to the landfill because he can't figure out what to do with the battery, right? There couldn't possibly be any company willing to undo some fasteners to get to the 7,104 individual 18650 cells at a value of $4.99 each? I mean, lets just throw the whole thing away or crush it so that we can recycle the minerals.

We've gone over this multiple times, bad battery packs come from as few as ***1*** bad cell. There are companies that now replace that one cell instead of buying a new $20k pack.

There are going to be huge economic bonus' for those that are willing repurpose EV battery packs, there's people who are already doing this but they are mostly individuals. Google "Tesla Model S Battery Teardown" on youtube and go to 2:58. If you can spend 20sec, that'll sum up what these guys are doing to make an old 911 into a new EV.

Again, don't buy anything new if you don't want to.

Boman Forklift and cu260r6 like this.
  6. cu260r6

cu260r6 Well-Known Member

Replacement costs keep dropping as battery costs do, but the 2025 cost is expected to be around $56 per kw. Mine is 77.1kw, so I rounded up for today's market. As with all vehicle prices, OEM prices are more than the aftermarket. And as with all EV prices, Tesla prices should not be used as a baseline. Labor is around $200-600 as it's plug/unplug mostly. The entire replacement cost for a battery at 200-300k miles is less than just what an ICE owner will spend on oil changes much less belts, transmission fluid, hoses, turbos, pumps, and all the other hundreds of moving or wearable parts an IEC has that an EV does not.

https://www.recurrentauto.com/research/costs-ev-battery-replacement

7. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

No yet but isn't CA that mandates by 2035 all cars sold to be zero emission? And some other states following.

8. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

As you enjoy saying, we’ve already covered this before. In the last 2 months my friend had to replace the battery in her Tesla model S with around 180k miles on the clock. It cost her either $17 or 20k, she did two repairs and I don’t remember which was which. That’s the cost today.

It was worth it to her because that car has free supercharging for life, and she was going to give it to her son to drive.

Instead they bought him a used Toyota tacoma. She is going to drive the old Tesla until her Tesla roadster comes in.

9. cu260r6

cu260r6 Well-Known Member

If her S has free supercharging for life, it must be quite old because they don't offer that anymore. Those Teslas have different tech that require different batteries than the ones used today which makes for higher replacement costs. I wouldn't use Tesla as the benchmark for the cost of anything EV related. And I wouldn't use anecdotes to cast a wider net.

10. Boman Forklift

I’m just using facts for a replacement new battery. Not a reconditioned one from down at the junk yard. I sell reconditioned batteries for forklifts. They only come with a 1 year warranty. I always try to talk a customer into new, so they will get a full 5 year warranty. The reconditioned pack usually sells for about 60% of new. So for the extra percentage, you get 5 times the warranty. I will make more off a used, but it is better for the customer to buy a new one.

tony 340 likes this.
  11. Boman Forklift

Yes, as you like to condescendingly say “already covered” the Tesla is a 2012 and has 180k miles.

tony 340 likes this.
  12. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

He doesn't have that part of his brain.

brex and tony 340 like this.
  13. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Teslas are not new at all.

Please find my some families that have owned the same one, daily driven, for 10yrs

I'll wait because that list is so short you'll be able to remember all the names

Trends die faster than shit technologies

14. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Although I see a number of articles that refer to a price range starting
    at $5k for replacement batteries, I cannot find any that are selling in
    that price range other than hybrid batteries or battery packs which are
    only a section of a full battery, not a complete battery. If you have a Leaf or a Volt
    or a Bolt you will pay less but those are not the vehicles being discussed here.
    Your Plaid is going to cost a shitload to replace.
    https://www.recurrentauto.com/research/costs-ev-battery-replacement
    https://www.thedrive.com/guides-and...for-these-six-normal-evs-is-staggeringly-high

There are a handful of places across the country that repair batteries
    and there are a handful of recycling plants. The fanatics are. as usual,
    talking about the forecasted future, not today.

Giants like Tesla, GM, and Ford are going to be desperate for EV materials in the next decade. The 4 startups are betting they can cash in by recycling old batteries into new ones.
    https://archive.ph/JzHFv#selection-2511.0-2511.180

Recycling batteries is mostly in the future.
    https://www.recyclingtoday.com/news...onference-recovering-value-from-ev-batteries/

15. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

GM invested almost $1Billion in ICE engine development and plants going forward as well. So they also see this as a passing economic debacle they have to live with until the climate change cult goes away.

16. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

And, back to the grid, it isn't just the power producers that
    are a problem, it's the equipment that makes up the current grid.
    Sell too many chargers in the same neighborhood and you have
    to replace and add transformers which are in short supply.

In the NE I know that large snow events that take down lines
    cause a problem for the power companies because they don't
    have enough transformers in stock. Back in 2008 when an ice
    storm knocked out power in town for up to several weeks (mine
    was out for ten days) you could hear transformers popping
    every time they recharged the lines in an area. People who were
    on lines with few customers were waiting while they sourced
    transformers from other parts of the country.

Imagine all the new lines they will need to install and all of
    the substations too small to carry the new loads required by
    all those chargers. Everything will need to be upgraded which
    ain't going to happen in a short time frame. All of that will be
    very expensive and don't be surprised when cities and states
    look for ways to pass that cost on to EV users.

https://www.eenews.net/articles/how-a-transformer-shortage-threatens-the-grid/

17. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Concerning GM, That certainly explains there $650 million investment in Lithium Americas.

Thacker Pass, the largest known measured and indicated resource in the United States and the next large scale lithium mine

GM is investing over $35 billion through 2025 in electric Vehicles.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2023
  18. Boman Forklift

Well this certainly backs the price my friend paid for a new battery, not @cu260r6 fantasy island price.

Either way, I mentioned somewhere on here, there was a 2022 Tesla S Plaid, with only 3K miles, that sold at cars and bids for $75K, while I was on vacation. If I had been around and could have talked mama into it, I would have been bidding on that bad boy!!!! https://carsandbids.com/auctions/rGOBNEQj/2022-tesla-model-s-plaid
    I had not heard of that, but the Salton Sea in California is supposed to be a big area for this now too.

19. long path/road

long path/road let's think about this!..??

I'll be the bitch.. have and individual turned a 68/69 porche into electric... spent alot on motor converting etc.. he also was an individual who helped create a counter for separation of dollar bills.. for banks.. have 5 10s 3 20s etc.. sorting shit out ..very intelligent individual not dumb. by any means. bought 2 testyas and also has life time of unlimited charges. has personal stock ...his biggest complaint is 1 drive additional hr/2 out of way to charge.... and take additional hr to charge and then re plan your trip as could make in 5hrs but just cost me 3hr and nothing happened just me wasted time...his words math at this point is not making sense..

20. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Can’t be, I’ve read right here on this site that our only future options for that material are 3rd world countries staffed by children. Not the hundreds & hundreds of long term jobs rights here on our own soil.
    :flag:

Boman Forklift likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.