1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The world is changing!

Discussion in 'General' started by Pneumatico Delle Vittorie, Jun 28, 2023.

1. BrentA

BrentA Very expensive.

Now that I think about it... I've never once ridden one. They look like a blast though.

2. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

You're missing out, sled's are awesome.

3. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

It’s always a head scratcher when I see a snowmobile in someone’s front yard for sale in Maryland. Although there’s a guy from close to Baltimore that drag races one down at M.I.R./Budds. It’s fast as f*ck

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  4. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

The writing has been on the wall for a while. Yamaha market share has been shrinking for years. They last built their own sled in for the 2022 model year, and it was just a utility sled based on a 19yr old chassis. There supply agreement with Arctic Cat got them a few extra years of sales, but MANY Yamaha die hards refused to accept them.
    And for those who have never ridden, get somewhere and do it. I anticipate the coming riding season for 9months of the year.

5. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Same. Thread remind me of when we were in Bozeman, Montana a few years ago in August. Walked through a really cool used sporting goods shop , the front of the store was full of mountain bikes and objects that all made sense to me. I wandered into the back of the store and literally didn't recognize anything on the wall. It could have been from another planet and I wouldn't have known any different.

Florida life, just clueless.

Steeltoe likes this.
  6. ow01

ow01 Well-Known Member

7. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I've got a friend that I ride with that's big Yamaha sled guy. Just called him and told him the bad news, made his day. :crackup:

8. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

We drive through a lot of backroads to get to JGP. There's a really old snowmobile sitting in a yard in Florida. I really want to know the story.

9. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

One of my older brothers is a big Yamaha fan, has 2 blue sleds (Polaris fan here) I will have to call him later today!

Banditracer likes this.
  10. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I'm in south Texas, my work truck has a Boss snowplow mount on it. Nobody knows what it is.

Once a Wanker.. and stickboy274 like this.
  11. stickboy274

There are parts of you state that get snow. Florida doesn't do that. Below 60 they have to watch for falling iguanas.

12. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

The glaciers receded. Duh. ;)

scottn and stickboy274 like this.
  13. stickboy274

I don't recall the Florida glaciers back in the 80/90s.

14. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Cocaine is a helluva drug. :D

969 likes this.
  15. stickboy274

Like I need that

16. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

A lot of users in borderline climates are transitioning to Timbersled style conversions for their dirt bikes. Less cost, less space taken up in the garage, and you have one machine that you can ride all year just by throwing the wheels back on. I think that has hurt dedicated sled sales in recent years.

17. BrentA

BrentA Very expensive.

Think these things would absolutely rip on sand dunes?

The term "paddle track" sounds like a good idea. lol

stickboy274 likes this.
  18. WillMill

WillMill CRA MN #633

Its been done. Check out Doonies 3 on youtubes..

BrentA likes this.
  19. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

20. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

uh... no, not really. LOL! the market is there, and stable (not really growing much) but, many either go all in and buy a dedicated snowbike and do not swap over, or get out altogether. we are in the latter group. I would rather be on a mountain sled, than a bike. as far as cheaper... uh again... you need a 10,000 bike, and a 7-8000 kit, then all the mods to the bike, to make it winter worthy. going in all new, you are 15-20k. yes you can do it cheaper but, you are still in the realm of new/used sled prices.

if you were thinking about doing it... rent first, decide if you like it. they suck on trails, and in anything less than about 2 feet of snow. dont go all in, down the rabbit hole, or it will cost you a boat load. they are not cheap, and the resale SUCKS with a capital SUCKS!!!

just keeping it real here. on paper they sound great. in the mountains, they would be awesome. many states, do not consider them over the snow vehicles, and are illegal on snowmobile specific trails. be aware of that, for where you plan on riding. Ski