1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on: Racing over my head - Super Hooligans?

Discussion in 'General' started by Kurlon, Jun 1, 2023.

1. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

American Air Cooled is it's own class with alternate tech rules. Basically think making a bike legal for a GP/Open class vs SuperStock + min weight/etc. By going American Air Cooled I only have to make it safe, no worries about any mods/tweaks/whatever the previous owner might have done before I got it, and if I have to weird adapting parts down the road to keep it on track again no worries.

Also, I've raced an SV, zero interest in them. I like oddball machines, the build/etc side is just as much fun for me as the racing.

Edit: And if I thought I was going to be at the pointy end of the race out of the crate, I'd be on a Pan Am, FTR or KTM.

2. six6two

six6two AWD

3. 713

713 Well-Known Member

Ok, I thought you were talking about racing the MotoAmerica Superhooligans class.

4. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I am, American Air Cooled is a subclass within Super Hooligan.

5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

So race one that *isn’t* clapped out. Ain’t nothing more oddball than that! ;)

Kurlon likes this.
  6. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

If you are interested, let me know. This is the first non pristine street bike I've ever owned. She was a bit rough, cosmetically, when I bought it. Other than the rotor, I didn't do anything except throwing on some of my son's takeoff's and oil change. It ran good and I would ride it back and forth to work, or around the office area in LA for errands. Always ran well and no issues with motor, trans, suspension, etc. Other that the previously mentioned, most likely clogged injectors.

I will look what year mine is. It has a dented header from the previous owner's tip over and a slight dent in the frame with that same tip over. I think I paid $2500 at that time, because of these issues, and then around $400 for the new brake rotor, because it would pulsate and whatever else was needed for the new brakes.

I will sponsor your racing and you can have it for $1500, which should help a bunch with shipping.

It looks like this style. https://www.smartcycleguide.com/L49276418 I will have to move some stuff in the warehouse at work to get enough room for pictures, etc.

7. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

There is a guy here in the midwest that has raced Buells for a long time. I don't know him but he seems pretty experienced from what I've seen. His name is B.J. de Jong and his team goes by Bear Racing. I'm sure he could help provide some good advice.

8. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

9. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Damn 1500 I need that in my life

10. Boman Forklift

HAHAHAHA, I was trying to help "sponsor" a racer get on the track. I'm presuming for a street guy I could get a bit more.

11. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

You saying I'm not a racer lol wouldn't be the first time it was questioned

Gino230 and Boman Forklift like this.
  12. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ if that isnt the understatement of the century.

Gino230 and Kurlon like this.
  13. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

I've been a street Bueller for longer than I'll admit to people I like.

CRA round 2, Podium Club, AZ:

There were 3 people total in SH. The last place SH guy was dangerously almost ONE FULL MINUTE off-pace on that short track, on some POS street bike, but he took home $200 for every third place trophy!

and I'm working my ass off for a $50 credit on Pirellis!?!
    I swear I said to Bubbles... "A stock Buell would clean-UP in that class" and now this? You people are a terrible influence:Poke:

14. Boman Forklift

Hey @Cooter!, need another Buell racing influence? I will give you that Buell if you come work as a forklift mechanic for me at prevailing LA county forklift mechanic wages. I think you are the guy that pulled a Toyota transmission apart and rebuilt it.

Cooter! and Kurlon like this.
  15. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

Isn't the recently defunct EBR 1190SX an obvious choice for super hooligan? Buell handling (not sure if that's good or bad honestly, but winning DSB means they can't be awful), 180hp engine etc, cheap as hell...no?

16. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

And there's the rub, MFG advertised HP is above the 120hp cut off so not legal. The only reason the Pan Am is allowed is 'cause they're forced to use the Sportster airbox lid as a restrictor plate, the Sporty only advertising 120hp.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2023
    nlzmo400r likes this.
  17. brex

brex Well-Known Member

He also needs to rebuild this '69 Dodge Charger you found that needs some work.

18. Boman Forklift

no, that’s after hours and weekend work which doesn’t pay the bills!! :D

brex likes this.
  19. Dominguez44

Dominguez44 Well-Known Member

Hurtful! lol
    My clapped out sv1000 with a 55yr old 230lbs fat guy just got 10th at the Ridge...It may be competitive with a younger lighter talented rider on it.
    I'll be at Laguna, come by and tell me how to make it better. I'm always willing to learn.

20. Boman Forklift

That's impressive!!!!!