1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Electric Car Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Apr 27, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 27

27 Well-Known Member

I so wish it was safe to scooter everywhere… I have a Zuma with a Leo Vinci kit on it that does wheelies and throws roost… and will do traffic speeds… but I won’t even ride a motorcycle on the street for fear of being run over

YamahaRick and motion like this.
  2. 27

27 Well-Known Member

I’ve put hundreds of thousands of miles on a few Priuses and they’re roomy and really maintenance free

you really want to ghey it up drive a turbo beetle with the little flower built into the dash and try to wipe the smile off your face… those little things are go cart fun

Steeltoe likes this.
  3. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

You wouldn't want to ride with me in Asia then. Its completely mental!

4. 27

27 Well-Known Member

I think I’d be fine where people actually expect two wheelers on the road… like in Spain and especially Italy… looks like they all have a blast…

never been to Asia though so I have no idea what traffic is like but city driving and making room is all good… it’s the 70mph run over you or pull out in front of you on country roads that freaks me out

5. BigBird

BigBird blah

New Prius looks pretty nice and drives better than the old generations.

upload_2023-6-24_19-50-17.png

27 likes this.
  6. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

I’m just here to say “no.”

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  7. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Did a Civic and a Eclipse have a late night adventure?

You know what I mean.

BigBird likes this.
  8. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

TLDR: Just got an i3 for my kid to use and I like it way more than I thought I would.

I didn’t read through all the whining from people, but I will share we just got a used BMW i3 for my daughter to use to commute to high school and I’m really impressed. They discount them a lot and there’s way better EVs out now so these things are cheap for what you get. I wouldn’t use it as primary transport, but as a second or third car, perfect.

And I got one with the range extending (Rex) 0.7L on board generator (APU) which doesn’t drive a transmission but just generates electricity when the battery is drained <6%. It doubles the range if you need, but the car has higher current DC charging so charging is pretty quick. The first few years batteries only go 60-80 miles not factoring in Rex (+) or winter temps (-), but we need a car that will drive maybe 5-10 miles per day so perfect.

So with the Rex, it’s a PZEV and as a result, it has a 15yr/150k mile warranty on the electric bits and 10/100k on battery (when registered in CA, CT, NY, NJ and a few other states. So I got an 8 yr old used car with 7 more years of warranty. For cheap.

The interior and design is really good, way better than anything in the price range. I also like the size (not too small but small enough for a teenager).

I figure we can use it for 2 years and then sell it to some other high school family that needs a car to drive less than 10 miles per day. But I’m predicting we’ll use this for almost all our town trips and may keep it longer. We’ll see.

JBall and BigBird like this.
  9. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Another bonus for your i3 for your teenage daughter....it's probably too small to "do what high school kids do" in their cars....well, at least we did.

Baum chickie baum baum.......

10. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Now I understand your user name better, @Monsterdood.

Monsterdood likes this.
  11. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

12. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I cant imagine buying a vehicle and honestly believing that I would change the weather with my purchase.

In 5 years when there's brownouts justifying more gubbermint you guys can walk around taking wild guesses why your taxes went even higher

YamahaRick likes this.
  13. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Lol, what can I say… I got words in my brain… also I have a Ducati Monster 900ie and had a good college friend nicknamed stevedood… so there you go…

Razr likes this.
  14. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Just don't be the one who gets stuck replacing the battery, they cost as much as some new cars.
    You only have 2 years left on the battery warranty.
    It may not be so easy to sell once the battery warranty period is over.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  15. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

I drive a ton for work (60k miles plus annually) and my expenses are on me so all this stuff is always on my radar. Little over a year ago I picked up a CPO Lexus UX250h which is a little hybrid hatch back. Honestly I friggen love the thing. 40+ mpg in warm weather and 37ish in the winter on 87 octane. Super comfortable and quiet and all the latest modern conveniences. I thought about Tesla because they have by far the best charging infrastructure but at the time prices were still pretty high and I do a decent amount of rural driving and there’s not always a supercharger where I’m going. Plus in the winter your range suffers a ton and sitting at chargers more than 30 min or so a day would not be great. I’m waiting for the next gen longer range stuff to come out before I go electric as being able to mostly just charge at home would be a massive savings to me, not to mention the great reduction in service costs.

Steeltoe and BigBird like this.
  16. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

The new GM trucks will have home charging capabilities.

17. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Ya'll let me know when there is a plug and charging method standard. Until then I don't want to hear about expensive counter top appliances.

18. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

It's pretty simple really, just like with Betamax vs VHS. The standard is going to be whichever one provides easier access to pron.

19. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Aaahhhh, internet!!!

20. BigBird

BigBird blah

Tesla is the standard basically from 2025. Everyday a new manufacturer is signing up to use the Tesla Connector

Steeltoe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.