1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uh…that’s a hard no from me dawg

Discussion in 'General' started by ChemGuy, Jun 19, 2023.

1. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Not even close. Eastland cost over 800 lives, and happened within view of thousands of people.

5axis likes this.
  2. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Just looked it up and does it count? Kidding sort of. Huge loss of life, but it rolled over while tied to the dock. Edit to add: fwiw the show may have said deadliest in Superior not GL in general.

It is crazy though that I lived in Chicago for 20 years and hadn't heard of it (that I recall at least).

3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

This might be one of those rare times when people's obsessions with phones will end up being useful. Hopefully they took a few with them down there and will to leave recordings chronicling their final days and what might have failed.

If the sub is just tangled up in cables or something down there, or even floating somewhere, and not reduced to a compact ball of carbon composite and titanium, maybe they will be able to bring up some phone chips with the bodies. They are flying all this equipment out there, might as well get it out of the water even if it's a couple of weeks from now.

BigBird likes this.
  4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I had never heard of it but after reading about it we'd need to the dungeon to discuss why it happened. Unintended consequences and all.

5. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

I'm just as guilty as anyone else, but why is it that everyone is so interested in this story as opposed to other disasters that kill hundreds and barely cause a blip on the radar? A friend of mine pointed out this news story on NBC comparing the massive efforts to follow and rescue these 5 people while nobody seems to care a whit about the hundreds of missing people who probably drowned when a fishing boat sank in Greek waters last week. It's truly like the old saying, "A single death is a tragedy. A million deaths is a statistic."

I really don't know why I keep following this story but I do.

BigBird likes this.
  6. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

100%!!!!

7. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

The USA just lost @ 5-6 people over the last hour to Fentanyl,,,, nobody cares, couple rich dudes, worldwide coverage and assistance.

O and Simpsons called it again;

Last edited: Jun 22, 2023
    BigBird, Rebel635 and 5axis like this.
  8. Raceless man

Raceless man Well-Known Member

I can understand desperate people risking it all for something better than their current options. I can't understand risking it all when you already have all of it.

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Honestly, this thread is the extent of my following of that story except for what I see while watching my regularly scheduled newscast.

But generally speaking, the answer to your question might be a combination of the unusual nature of the incident (migrants drown trying to cross the Mediterranean by the dozens literally every day) and the identities of the victims (billionaires vs. migrants). Fascination with the disappearances of extremely wealthy or famous people has been a regular occurrence through modern history. I don't think that the fascination with the Titanic itself would have endured for over a century if it had been a boat full of migrants in search of a better life in America.

BigBird likes this.
  10. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

RISK makes you feel ALIVE.

At least it does for me. And many fellow racers.

BigBird and 5axis like this.
  11. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

It's not just that it's the heroic efforts being made to rescue these people. Multiple countries didn't activate their coast guards or deploy special equipment to rescue those migrants. There weren't specialized planes flying overhead scouring for signs of life. There's just something really wacked out about humanity that we can't show an equitable level of concern for the lives of hundreds of poor people as we can for the lives of a few rich folk.

Banditracer and motion like this.
  12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I see what you're saying but I think that if two people in Europe were absolutely and uniformly outraged by the side of dead bodies washing up on shore with regularity for number of years now, massive efforts would be deployed there as well. Anyway, it seems that the authorities are just an extension of what the general public is interested in.

13. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

I can't help but think that all the mobilized efforts amount to a training and tech exercise for the various official, national entities involved. Jumping at a real world scenario that has a side of good PR. They knew no one was being rescued.

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Man, Papa threw me for a loop when he posted about the astronauts and the right stuff and got my brain working like a harbor freight generator.
    Why were people who went up in the early space fights like the Mercury and Gemini missions gods and people who go up in that Virgin Galactic and this submersible thing kind of chumps to me? And given the chance, would I do it?
    The early flights in the tiny capsules? Hell yeah, without a doubt. Maybe even if I knew it was a one way trip!
    Less so with the space shuttle and fuck that shit to the virgin crap and a hard no to the sub shit.

Blammo and Gino230 like this.
  15. Gecko

Gecko Well-Known Member

Assuming you're not being facetious, you sue his/her estate:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2023
  16. mastermind

mastermind camping in turn 2....

Seeing some blips on the news now about a debris field close to the Titanic, and a news conference is scheduled for 3p edt…..

Razr likes this.
  17. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

It counts. The biggest reason I learned about it initially, was the US Navy refloated it and made it a training ship, and renamed it the Wilmette, which was where I grew up. Also was a harbor rat in my youth, so GL shipwrecks are kind of my thing.

Gino230 likes this.
  18. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

I'm assuming you're talking about the relation to the Titanic, which I almost forgot the relevance to this thread...lol. The Eastland was already top heavy and unstable, with a poor ballasting system. The additional lifeboats required after the Titanic, definitely played into the disaster, but Olympic levels of stupidity and arrogance were the primary causes.

19. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Same reason people followed the Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie case even though there are domestic violence murders every day. It’s unusual and dramatic. Migrants drowning in the Med has been happening all day, every day for years.

A couple dumbasses with too much money go to the bottom of the ocean in a rat trap sub built by another own-fart sniffing rich dude to gawk at a mass grave, and get turned into hamburger meat in the doing? That’s both downright unusual and poetic.

How often do rich idiots turn themselves into fish food in super dramatic fashion and pay for the opportunity? Maybe if we’re lucky we’ll get some images of one of those alien looking fish things feasting on the captain’s liver. This is the best buffet they’ve had since Bob the whale fell down there 200 years ago.

When does the next pack of assholes go down to take a gander at these dead dudes? Titanic will he dissolved into the ether in about 20 years, they will be the only attraction left in that area of the depths. Then one of those voyages will end in implosion and continue the cycle.

Wait until we find MH370, people will do the same thing.

20. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Too bad Bill Gates wasn't in it. World would be better off,

scottn, Gino230, notbostrom and 7 others like this.