1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ok, so i dunno. running. as in with your legs.

Discussion in 'General' started by joec, Jun 15, 2023.

1. joec

joec brace yourself

im thinking about trying running. i did xcountry in hs for one year. got bored andd was avergae at best. last time i ran i did 5 miles with a friend and my stepfather. friend got a paid ride in college for track. stepfather was a marathon guy. that would have been maybe 1987. i hought they were trying to kill me. both were a foot taller than me at the time. lol. (well almost)

not looking to set records. jus want to see what i can do. figure do the walk run walk thing for a mile or so. see where i can get endurance performance wise if i stick with it.

ive been riding my single speed for a year. steelie 24lb. i can knock out 20 miles pretty easy on it. want to do a 40 on it soon. i should have lest time i was out. but no prob avg 11 mph on dirt gravel walking trails for 20 miles rt. 450 ft elevation gain.

around town pretty easy 5 mile rides at 12 miles an hour with some climbs. pavement.

i know there are peeps here doing tris and iron mans and those century rides and runs. im 54. i just want to see what i can do and maybe start a habit of sorts. maybe ill hate it. dunno.

so, i should probably get shoes. running in vans hightops prolly not the best idea? or who cares initially? i have zero idea if i can even make it to the end of the block much less a mile.

or should i just forget this whole thing?

just looking for advice. insults. positive comments. negative comments.

2. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

I've come to the sad conclusion that for me at my age (chronological and physiologic) regular distance running does more damage than good for me.

I started running late, in my 30's. Did enough to complete 5 marathons. 1 in Kansas city and 4 in Chicago. 3:40 was my best so definitely not advanced but pretty happy with what I accomplished.
    But now since my late 40's and mid 50's its just not for me anymore.

Damage and injury ramp up greatly with weekly mileage
    I dont necessarily like the aesthetics created by running
    I can look better, feel better and maintain good cardio and flexibility with other forms of exercise.

This is simply one opinion... obviously there are many happy runners out there.

nowayout likes this.
  3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

There are 5 reasons to run and fun ain’t one of them:

1) after the ice cream truck.
    2) someone is stealing your car and you don’t have theft insurance on it.
    3) you pissed off your SO and she/ he/ they/ them/ Apache helicopter is looking for a gun.
    4) last piece of pie and Sean hasn’t got his cut yet.
    5) bear! But you need to only run until someone in your group trip/ you trip one/ shoot someone in the leg and you just need another 40 yards or so.

Funkm05, cpettit and joec like this.
  4. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Start with a 5k and do a couple sprint triathlons.

That's all I got. I have done a couple 10ks, but running isn't my bag. I can agree with DaveK's post above. The sprint tris were fun, but it's been a handful of years since my last.
    I'll do 50 mile MTB rides, no problem. But running is a no from me, dawg.

joec likes this.
  5. joec

joec brace yourself

yeah, i know i can knock out a 50 miler on my single speed on pavement or up on the ncr for example. i only started riding again last spring and it was the mid 90s since i rode a bit. used to commute 11 miles to work one way every day in about 45mins. 21sp mtb with slicks. i feel good enough to still do that i think.

i havent had a challenge in a while and my running is pretty bad i think. i do rend to agree with daves philosophy.

where do you ride? i have a semi ok steel single i bought and its not great but ive been really liking it. it keeps me riding and around the city its been working for me.

brex likes this.
  6. surfingsk8r

surfingsk8r Well-Known Member

I started running last year around April. For me the biggest difference in my ability to run without pain was getting properly fitted shoes that assist with correcting my poor gate.

When I started I could barely do a 5k in 32 minutes because of knee pain. Now I can run a 5k in under 25 minutes if I am trying. I do however focus on distance more than speed as it helps more as cross training for my backcountry touring. I have done a couple of halfs nothing too quick though just consistent in pace more or less.

Another thing that helped me was my garmin watch actually. I followed the advice it gave me for workout runs using the heart rate targets every other day initially and that helped a lot with getting me in better running shape to train on a daily basis.

Overall I feel like running helped me a lot with my backcountry efforts which was my initial goal but I have also grown to enjoy it and it helps me destress after a long day.

If I'm not mistaken you are in the Baltimore area and as such I would recommend going in to a charm city running location and talking to them about your desires and or goals. They can set you up with whatever and are generally more chill than other places i have been in who sell that stuff.

joec likes this.
  7. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

So I’ve been running on a fairly consistent basis for awhile. Like 40 years. Figure out why you want to run, and what distance. Five clicks, marathons, whatever.

For me, I like the freedom, the movement. The zen. The absence of any other influence.

In terms of equipment? Shoes. Find what fits for you. I can do a 10K with Asics right out of the box.

mattys281-2 likes this.
  8. kwikknight21

kwikknight21 Well-Known Member

There are a lot of "Couch to 5K" series you can do. I use iFit on the treadmill and it controls the workouts and you just follow along. There are walk/run workouts that will do something like 1 minute of running and then 2 or 3 minutes of walking. I would recommend one of those first.

joec likes this.
  9. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Pro tip before I forget: have two pair of shoes and rotate between them.

I ran at a recreational level for many years. It was a great way to reduce stress. I also enjoyed the setting of PBs (personal bests), showing improvement in my level of skill. Again, at a recreational level.

What is your end goal? Fitness? Change of scenery?

For me, I combined running events with travel. It is a good way to experience other places. Oh, all while seeing a ton of hot females getting sweaty, all while they are wearing very little clothing. Today, they are wearing even less! But I'm unsure if they are biological females, so YMMV.

Here's a good book to read on fitness. After all, the author is a legit resource. He only invented the concept of cardio-vascular fitness!

[​IMG]

10. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I started running in my 40's. I wanted to improve my lungs for MTBing. I now enjoy it quite a bit. I've done a couple of Ragnar trail events, and we're actually building a team or two for the Florida event in December.

Get fitted for shoes. I've crashed enough things, that I can't run with bad or worn out shoes. I let strava track the mileage on all my shoes. 350-400 on pavement, or 450+ on a treadmill and they get retired to walking around shoes.

I have a treadmill with iFit also. I did the 5k training, 10k training and now 1.2 marathon training with Tommy Rivers. Training by HR has been better than just going out and going for it. If I had just wanted to do 3 or so miles 2-3 times a week, I wouldn't need it, but I also wouldn't be getting better without hurting myself.

11. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

What's wrong with riding the bike, easier on your body.

dtalbott likes this.
  12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

What’s wrong with driving? Even easier on your body. :D

dtalbott likes this.
  13. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Running is Satan and I hope it DIAF.

14. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

After being in the military for 24 years....not a huge fan of running. lol However, I do like 2 wheels and being active so bicycles are way more fun to get out and get the blood pumping.

15. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Those run/walker people look so silly doing their running/walking. They practice by holding a piece of bologna between their ass cheeks:D

16. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

It Lives!!! :D

17. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

The training status 7d load is great. I wish they had an option to keep that on the watch face.

18. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

If you do run, don't make every day your personal best day.
    While goal pace runs and intervals are important, there is some science that says release of cortisol a stress hormone does not help your body.
    Easy runs are your friend.

Yzasserina likes this.
  19. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I'm in Utah. I have a second home down by cedar city, but I live a bit south of salt lake city.
    So I ride our local trail systems or gravel/paved canal paths 5-6 days a week.
    I ride the cedar city/st George/hurricane/virgin area a lot during the winter months, hit up Moab 3-5 time a year. That place is a zoo, so a lot of the fun is gone there for me.

20. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

Velominati Rule #42 - A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.If it’s preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run, it is not called a bike race, it is called duathlon or a triathlon. Neither of which is a bike race. Also keep in mind that one should only swim in order to prevent drowning, and should only run if being chased. And even then, one should only run fast enough to prevent capture.:bow:

StaccatoFan, dtalbott and joec like this.