1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smaller/Private fishing charters in the St. Pete - Madeira Beach area

Discussion in 'General' started by eggfooyoung, Jun 14, 2023.

1. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Anyone have any reco's? The kids and I are heading down in a few weeks (7/15-7/20) and I'm looking to do a little fishing with them. We prefer smaller, private stuff instead of the commercial BS. Any info would be helpful.

Thanks

2. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Wouldn’t the kids have more fun on jet skis? :clap:

3. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Hubbard’s has private charters in addition to the the group fishing trips. I have no personal experience but they have them, I’m taking my grandson on a 5 hour trip in July on one of there larger outings.I’m just south in Sunset Beach.

4. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Just buy a boat and sell it when you leave... boat values *always* go up

969 likes this.
  5. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Buying the boat is the cheapest part of the whole ordeal.

Make friends with a buddy with a boat....buy all his gas, beer, and food. You'll be way ahead of the game

6. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I found a place called My Girls and it's a guy that does his own thing on a 24' center console, which is what we're after. I booked a 6 hour trip. He has great reviews and I like his plan. Hopefully it all works out.

Thanks

Shenanigans likes this.
  7. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

I've got a buddy who runs a charter. Same idea as you mentioned above. Smaller center console. Usually takes up to 4 people. Has been killing the Reds, trout, and snook. Let me know if you are still looking. He isn't out of Madeira, but wouldn't be a bad drive to where he runs out of.

8. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

I was thinking about asking this same question. I'll be in that area (Clearwater) in late July with my family. My son would really like to do a fishing trip. There will probably only be 2 of us fishing so probably the commercial route may be more feasible I'm thinking.
    Recommendations on other things to do with the family are also welcome. Outdoor activities are what we are most interested in.

9. Ellwood

Ellwood Well-Known Member

Rising likes this.
  10. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

I think that is where the S S Minnow was based. :D

11. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

If ya go a little
    Bit farther south hit up boca grande for the tarpon

12. 713

713 Well-Known Member

I recommend doing a weekday scallop trip in Pasco county. It's about 1.5 hours North of where you're staying. The season is from July 1st to Aug. 6th. The last two seasons have been awesome there and they were only 10 day seasons. You could max out on scallops in less than 5 hours the last 2 years. Max is 2 gallons in the shell per person and 10 gallons max per boat. If you use a licensed captain you won't have to have a fishing license. Captain should be able to supply mask, snorkel, and fins also. I personally don't know any charter captains but if you check out the Florida scalloping group on facebook, I'm sure you could find one.

John Linder

13. 713

713 Well-Known Member

In July you can go scalloping in Pasco county or kayaking on the Weeki Wachee river.

John Linder

Rising likes this.
  14. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

I second the kayaking on the Weeki Wachee. Really fun time and low effort as long as you book a trip that goes down river. I've done both and heading out is far easier than upriver. Water is crystal clear and full of fish. In the winter you'll see manatees, but likely not in summer. Good time and cheap too.

Rising likes this.
  15. 713

713 Well-Known Member

There are lots of manatees in the summer time also. I was watching motogp on the back porch Sunday morning and 6 were heading up river together. I see them almost on a daily basis the whole year.

John