1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Craigslist selling cars

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave Wolfe, May 28, 2023.

1. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Weird shit goin on right now. I just posted up a 15 yr old car for sale here in E IA and Im getting flooded by folks from chicago and rockford n shit. Never had that happen before.
    WTF?
    They dont have clunkers in IL to buy?

2. BrentA

BrentA Very expensive.

Wait until they say they'll send you the full asking price + extra for shipping it to them...

evakat likes this.
  3. Dave Wolfe

Sure. Pay me in gold first!

At least they aint selling me an extended warranty.

4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

My brother the prince will give you full asking price if you can just accept a multi-million dollar check, cash it and send us the difference.

5. ttt637

ttt637 Well-Known Member

I listed a car for sale on Craigslist 2 years ago and 5 min later had a response from Carvana. I could not believe it so I called the number on website and they showed up at my house next morning handed me a check and drive it away. I had less than 20 min in entire transaction. Easiest sell I’ve ever had by a long shot

BrentA likes this.
  6. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Did they give you the asking price? They have a very healthy profit in the cars.

TurboBlew likes this.
  7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

could be Searchtempest picked up the listing?
    Im over having to deal with the selling schenanigans. Last time I sold a vehicle I had to deal with a handful of morons nitpicking a used vehicle that was in better condition than the heaps they pulled up in. One guy had his Autozone uniform on... Its almost worth the tax credit to donate it.

BrentA and tony 340 like this.
  8. Dave Wolfe

It calmed down finally. The first two hoursit was like 6 people in chicago responding. Then I finally got a couple more local responses.

9. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

To me, I'd rather let the dealership make their couple thousand bucks than deal with a bunch of F'ups and wasting hrs of time.

Problem where we are is if it isn't under 5k nobody has cash.

If it's over 5k they need a loan.

If they're looking at 5k vehicles they usually cant get a loan.

That's where we are right now.

Phl218 likes this.
  10. Dave Wolfe

Now Im getting people from Georgia and Ohio sending me messages about it.

11. Dave Wolfe

4 ish yrs ago I sold my moms old lexus it was 20 yrs old at the time I think I sold it for like $1500. The retired poor dude that bought it for a friend knew all the gotchas with that model car and was asking all sorts of questions. I was pretty impressed to be honest.

12. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

What exactly is it you're selling?

13. Dave Wolfe

Now its gone. '08 scion XB.

14. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Already?

Wouldn’t think a check from the Bank of Zamunda would have arrived on a holiday. :moon:

15. pjdoran

pjdoran Well-Known Member

As I don't use the FaceGores, Craigslist is my best reasonably priced selling forum when needed. A well written ad goes a long way to erasing the tire kicker/time wasters. Clearly calling out all of the standard bs questions in the ad is crucial. If the response asks an already answered question, delete is the key I reach for.
    I've had good luck selling there, but I'm never reaching for the last penny of sale price. A reasonable price hits the right buyer, usually. YMMV.

Razr likes this.
  16. Thunderace

Thunderace Well-Known Member

I took my truck back to Carmax for a quote to sell it and they offered me $24k. I then placed an add in Craigslist and Facebook. I didn't get a single response from Craigslist. Facebook started out quick, but there were people trying to send me some kind of code. Found out later, it was the start of a scam. I ended up selling the truck through Facebook for $33k. Selling back to a dealer is easy, but I don't like giving up that much coin.

TurboBlew, Phl218 and pjdoran like this.
  17. Dave Wolfe

For me on craigslist Ive used it mostly for buying and selling household odss and ends and selling low end cars. I bought my last two motorcycles on it. If I dont start liking my touring bike Ill sell it.

No FB for me.

18. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

I've two friends whom bought urban hipster Subaru Crosstreks, drove them for 2 years and put 40 and 55 k on them, the girl spilled battery acid all I've the seat & carpet .

The each placed ads on Craigslist and Car Dealers contacted them

They sold each Subi for what they paid for them . Drive a car for 2 years for almost free.

She also had that giant Subaru Sport Utility ..but they don't hold their value, she lost 22k on that one.

The Crosstrek is the hot ticket.
    Not sure if it was CarMax or Carvana

19. ttt637

ttt637 Well-Known Member

yes. I thought for sure it was a scam but it was so easy I was shocked