1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Charging Customer For Specialized Tool

Discussion in 'General' started by G Dawg, Apr 30, 2023.

1. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

If you have to ask the question, you're likely in a position where you need to charge.
    People speak from their own perspective... the answers you are getting are biased that way.

Do what you need to do... another $20, 40, 50 isn't a big deal. Give him a little extra attention or service if you feel guilty. Free drop off? Discount off next service? Move his bike up in the schedule?

Phl218 and cav115 like this.
  2. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Was it a special snake, specific to your particular incredibly rare shitter? I can't imagine how it could be. Any "plumber" who doesn't own a snake is not a plumber. I certainly would never call that guy again either!

stk0308 and Pixelator like this.
  3. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

you service the brand - the cost is on you imo...and you may or may not ever use it again. my car was at a shop, they needed a special clutch alignment tool to install my twin disc - they didnt have it, so they bought it, and i was not charged. your tool kit is yours, they pay for your time and skill. would a mechanic charge their first customer for the lift to do the brakes? with absolute certainty - if you charge them anything for the tool they should keep the tool, as a customer i wouldnt expect to be buying your tools - you buy them with the profit you make on your rate. you might not make as much on this one - but you end up with the tool - you can keep - or sell.

Rebel635 and Pixelator like this.
  4. RS250Ape

RS250Ape Well-Known Member

I'm a PM for a construction firm. It is common in my industry to charge for consumable tools and reusable tools when bidding a job.
    Or in the case of a specific item of scope, lets says repairing a pre-existing pipe that is encased in concrete, it could be justified that a chipping hammer be part of the cost of the scope because demo is not typically our focus.

5. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Yep this.

6. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Hey @G Dawg if I have a fleet of Aventures, am I gonna have to learn how to do major repairs? Won't they make it thru a summer rental season?

7. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

G Dawg, it sounds like motion needs a $90 business consult.
    Problem solved.

motion and cav115 like this.
  8. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Probably Depends on the mileage.

9. jdanhires

jdanhires Well-Known Member

Hospital do it - my son had brain surgery last month. $650 for a drill bit, $425 for a screw extractor and $500 bucks for a prybar. I should have asked for the tools after the surgery was over.

MrGooch, Britt and Pixelator like this.
  10. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I wore this bad boy for a year when I broke my tib/fib. When the ordeal was over I said I'm taking that as a souvenir.

[​IMG]

11. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

How many parts have you bilked off it for projects?

rd400racer likes this.
  12. jdanhires

jdanhires Well-Known Member

Ouch. Looks like it could be used for fork servicing?

rd400racer likes this.
  13. thunderalley3

thunderalley3 Well-Known Member

I had an external fixator on my hand, wrist,arm for 6 months when I had multiple fractures. I brought the fixator and rods home when it was removed and made pieces for the motorcycle that I was on when I had the crash.

CBRRRRR999, rd400racer and tl1098 like this.
  14. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

I didn't see this yet but did you already quote the job? If you did I'm going to say it's on you.

If you didn't quote the job yet I'd pad the labor a half hour or so to help the cost or within reason.

Also, you should have shop supplies on each invoice. Usually 2.5% of labor charged or max of $10. Every legit shop I know does. Hell, car dealers shop supply charge gets banannas. It's am easy explanation of "can of solvent, carb clean, lube ect"

Even if it's a side business it's still a business... and the main purpose of business is to make money. As long as you don't gouge people and are honest it's all good.

SGVRider likes this.
  15. auminer

Thinking about this further, there's precious little that we know. Now that I'm home, and finished mowing the front 2 acres, I can sip a Keystone Light and type more on this topic.

What do we know?

We know that the special tool is 90 bucks and unlikely to be used again.

We know that you are the 'authorized' shop of choice for this particular brand.

We know that you have a previous relationship with this customer.

We know that you feel like you are in no position to turn away business. (even business that you lose money on?)

We don't know : your hourly labor rate. (also, is this you, or an employee?) What hourly revenue your business model requires you (or your employee) to generate? What portion of your line of business is represented by this particular brand? Is that pie slice growing or does it have potential to grow?

I know that there's more nuance I thought of as I was driving home, but the bottom line is, is this job going to make you money if you buy the tool. If no, is taking this job going to protect acquiring future jobs that will make you more money than you will lose by doing this one? If no, what do you have to charge this customer for the tool with which to do this job tto at LEAST break even by taking this job.

Figure all that out and you'll know whether to tell this guy to take the job elsewhere and tell the company that you are no longer interested in being 'the guy'... Or if you want to take the job with or without some additional charges.

Business isn't rocket science. You're either making money or you aren't. You are either building future money-making or you aren't.

That is the crux.

Rebel635 likes this.
  16. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

Let them know upfront and charge them for it. If they want the tool let them have it, most of the time they never ask for it.

auminer likes this.
  17. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

You most definitely will need to learn how to bleed hydraulic brakes . I would highly suggest you invest in an electric lift
    https://www.parktool.com/en-us/product/power-lift-shop-stand-prs-33-2?category=Shop

Pm me if you need more info.
    Customer picked the bike up yesterday . I did not include a charge for the tools . But I did explain to him what was involved in the service . He ended up giving me a $20 tip.

Last edited: May 2, 2023
    Pixelator, motion and mpusch like this.
  18. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

19. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Not the way I roll . If you follow any bicycle threads here, you would know I've sold things to members for cost plus shipping .
    However if he was some guy with a bunch of $$$ who neglected his $2500 e-bike, you bet I would :)

20. auminer

[​IMG]

Wow. That's way below what I would have ever guessed for skilled labor. Even the $100 of your competitors.

Yesterday I covered a dog shit scooping route. 7.75 hours elapsed time. $861.48 in customer billing. If a pooper scooper can bill $111 an hour, I can't imagine a bike mechanic lifting a finger for $50 an hour.

CBRRRRR999 likes this.