1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Generator for AC and warmers?

Discussion in 'General' started by rpm894, Mar 25, 2023.

1. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Just get a 30 AMP/4500 W for under $1000 and be done with it. I've had a WEN 3100 and WEN 2000 for about 6 yrs or maybe 8....

The 3100 runs everything in my RV....I won't run the AC and microwave at the same time though just out of caution.

Point is, spend less than $1000 and be totally satisfied with it for many years.

Onan Cummins, Briggs n Stratton, Champion, WEN, Westinghouse, etc....

https://www.amazon.com/WEN-DF450i-4500-Watt-RV-Ready-Generator/dp/B0BK2WFQ5T/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2NWSK7PFEFBBO&keywords=WEN+4500&qid=1679872265&s=lawn-garden&sprefix=wen+4500,lawngarden,81&sr=1-3&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.ac578592-0362-4e0a-958c-0f2dd61d30d4

wen 4500.jpg

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  2. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I like the Yamaha

If shit goes sideways there always a dealership you can go to

3. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  4. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Proof the 'Beeb sucks:
    A discussion about reliable, quiet, reasonably priced generators gets hijacked and flushed down the toilet by members bragging about their cheap and loud as fuck generators. It doesn't make you the Army of Darkness, folks.

Wait a minute here...
    The A.O.D. shouldn't even own a generator, right?

MELK-MAN likes this.
  5. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

6. gapman789

That wen 4500 is 58 db’s for $724. J/s

Jon Wilkens and KneeDragger_c69 like this.
  7. rpm894

rpm894 Well-Known Member

8. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

Indeed heavy but SO EASY to move around with the "luggage" handle.

Bonus with that model, it comes with a remote on/off starter :)

9. Tas

Tas Well-Known Member

Picked up the Westinghouse 4500 and maneuvering it around with the handle is really easy…..100lbs or not the weight should not deter you from getting it. I liked the extra watts compared to the Predator for the same money.

I haven’t used the remote yet but the electric start is a breeze. I’m still breaking it in with only 3 hours of use so far. Let google and the reviews be your guide for any quirks and break in procedural questions you may have.

10. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Id be curious as to how long it can run on the provided 3.4 gallon fuel tank? Specs say it can run up to 18hrs at 1/4 load (900watts???). Does that mean it can run at 1/2 load (1800 watts) for 9hrs?

11. rpm894

rpm894 Well-Known Member

It's on sale for $750 now. For that price, I have to give it a try. I'll still have my Honda, so I'll only need this for when I need AC. I'll be in my truck camper most of the time if it's that hot, so that means even if it is loud, I don't have to hear it.

12. gapman789

The westinghouse is just as quiet as any of them especially under load which is when it would be running anyway.....Here's a pic of a video with sound results at 23'. I don't think 1 DB louder will get you shot in the middle of the night .

Honda 3000, champion 4650, westinghouse 4500, powerhorse 4500, predator 3500, honda 2200....

inverters.jpg

sbk25 and KneeDragger_c69 like this.
  13. Thunderace

Thunderace Well-Known Member

I've had the Westinghouse for almost a year. It's a solid generator and very quiet. I highly recommend it over the Predator 3500, which I owned as well. The Predator stopped working on me. It ended being a dropped valve retainer. The Westinghouse is easier to move, more wattage, remote start, bigger fuel tank and remote start, all for the same price. It's well worth it.

KneeDragger_c69 and sbk25 like this.
  14. BrentA

BrentA Very expensive.

OP, I did the truck and open trailer thing for a while too.
    Tacoma 6' bed with a snugtop camper shell. It was nice for a one night stay or so.
    Not tons of room to do much other than sit/laydown inside.

For AC, you might want to look into a unit you can place in the truck cab with a window attachment to fit the driver/passenger door window for vent.
    The pass-through window will be your cool air source from the unit.

As for generators, I've been using a Predator 3500 for a year which has been lovely.
    It's quiet, starts instantly, and didn't cost over $1,000.
    I power my rooftop AC unit on my van and warmers. Runs fine.

Now this is funny:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/BurningMan/comments/91lt35/creative_camping_window_ac_to_camper_shell_2017/

Last edited: Apr 12, 2023
  15. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

I put it in my Amazon cart yesterday when it was $750, but wanted to sleep on it. When I went to hit “Buy” this morning the price had jumped to $871.

Fuck me.

BrentA likes this.
  16. rpm894

rpm894 Well-Known Member

17. rpm894

rpm894 Well-Known Member

Do you know if the Westinghouse seals up the gas tank well enough to store it inside my apartment? I just got it. I don’t see a fuel vent, so I assume it’s controlled by the fuel on/off knob?

18. Thunderace

Thunderace Well-Known Member

I am not sure, but I leave it in my RV and there is not a hint of gas smell when the RV is closed up for weeks.