1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Race van security

Discussion in 'General' started by Gravisman, Apr 5, 2023.

1. Gravisman

Gravisman Well-Known Member

What do people like for security against thieves breaking into your racing van and stealing shit? Someone's been opening the rear door of my 2022 promaster somehow. I've implemented a homebrew solution of ratchet tie-downs to hold the door shut from the inside. Spent a while searching around the van-centric web and was disappointed by how everything seemed quite expensive, not all that secure, and/or uncertain difficulty of installation. Nothing stands out as an obviously great buy.

Curious what others' experiences/solutions/recommendations are.

2. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

noles19 likes this.
  3. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

4. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Do the external hinges have some way to keep the pins from being knocked out? I never really looked close but I have seen the hinges on the outside, seems pretty vulnerable.

5. Gravisman

It's not clear exactly what the break in mechanism is, but I know they're coming through the back door because I've found it slightly ajar and I'm able to pull it open while the side door remains locked. There aren't obviously signs of tampering and the door still successfully locks if I close it again and lock it. It's like they're just straight up picking the lock.

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Trunk Monkey.

yamageezer, 50Joe, IL8APEX and 3 others like this.
  7. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

No I mean is it at your house?

8. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

with a 12 gauge.

sawed off double barrel 12 gauge.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  9. Gravisman

I park on the street outside my house (urban neighborhood). Van wouldn't fit through my garage door if I tried.

10. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I see the above locks in a lot of urban areas. The vans are all beat to hell from whatever contract work they do, general stupidity and lack of concern from other drivers and, likely, previous and current attempts to burglarize said vehicle. I'm thinking the perps are not getting passed those locks. A lot of these vans also have caged/barred windows or no windows at all, other than driver/passenger/windshield.

Race stickers, et al, are a calling sign for perps. None of my vehicles/trailers show any indication of my hobbies/interests. I don't lock my car doors at home and I don't lock the Jeep doors out on the town. Further, as a general rule, I keep nothing of value within my vehicles.
    It helps that I live in a gun-friendly, semi-rural environment. ;)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2023
  11. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

Spam wrap on van and everyone will think its full of Spam, no more burglaries :D

98161cb6f39210b51a94d9896c4616fb--spam-recipes-commercial-vehicle.jpg

eppy01f4i, Wingnut and Sabre699 like this.
  12. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

Seems like they have a key, or a fob; opening the door “should” trip the vehicle alarm. Worth a phone call to your local PD

A 12 volt motion (or unpowered door) sensor, wired to flip a latching relay that ties to a (audible) alarm will reveal when. (Don’t forget to add a interior reset for the audible ...)
    A trail cam could reveal who.

13. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

14. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

Step one: Don't advertise that cool race stuff is inside. ( I had a trailer stolen years ago that had all the typical race stickers on the outside)

Put something like " Septic inspection Servcies"

RichMangus, backho, ToofPic and 3 others like this.
  15. Gravisman

Yeah, I *really* want to put cool race stickers on the van, but I've so far held back for this reason. Now definitely won't be putting any on there.

16. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

17. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

Start with one like this...

NOTHING.jpg

StaccatoFan and Razr like this.
  18. BrentA

BrentA Very expensive.

My sprinter alerts my phone if a door is opened. Other than that, like mentioned, you can secure the door from the inside with a simple ratchet strap to a D-ring in the floor or equivalent.

19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Back the van up to the garage door?

Gixxerguy855 and OldGuyOnBlu like this.
  20. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

Frankly....why live like you "don't want to".
    Afraid to put stickers etc..
    This is what
    Insurance is for....1st I'd go old school and audible alarm triggered by doors/ windows...that's a no brainer. Go ahead and do lick ..but a lick is the biggest ( I got $$ stuff inside" marker.
    You'll probably have to find an insurance company that covers a vehicle inside a van.. but that's what it's for. If you Google how to get into your specific brand of van.. there's a good bet you're going to see something online on how to do it.
    Jus sayin.
    Vans are a hot Target marked unmarked cargo or passenger everybody keeps stuff in vans.