1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

12 lap MotoGP sprint don't count as a win

Discussion in 'General' started by Used2befast, Apr 4, 2023.

1. Used2befast

Used2befast Well-Known Member

2. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

They can't count it. It would screw up all the records.

cbush and BigBird like this.
  3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

They fucked up when they made them count in WSBK and someone obviously recognized it.

BigBird likes this.
  4. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Yeah, as I understand it the "sprint race" in WSBK was supposed to really be more a qualifier. As in it effects the starting grid for the next race that round. Not so in MotoGP. They're treating the MotoGP sprint as a race with no impact on the following race.

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Yeah, but it awards points, like a race. Qualifying never did. It's a mess.

cbush and stk0308 like this.
  6. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

They could have done like BSB, where race 1 results is the grid for Race 2.

I thought that was brilliant.

cbush, cpettit, stk0308 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

That sprint race should award some points, maybe half?

Wheel Bearing likes this.
  8. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

Oh the humanity! Not being recognized properly for a win. What will happen to the fragile ego of BB?
    I think he'll be ok.
    Just make a new category, call it a MotoGP sprint win and be done with it.

5axis and BigBird like this.
  9. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Call it a sprint win, and a gp win. It's not a Grand Prix, it's a sprint. Add another column to the record books. Why is this so hard?

10. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

Not a win and not a race = no podium bonus payments to riders

11. KNickers

KNickers Well-Known Member

The Moto2 race was shortened to 12 laps - should it not count? Should Joe Roberts get an asterisk because his win was only 7 laps? Sprints are great for the series. Count the wins and leave the hand wringing to the interwebs.

GixxerBlade and Gorilla George like this.
  12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Depends: was there a longer race in the same class on those weekends?

13. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

The way I look at it if everyone you're competing against is trying their best to win then beating them is a win. You've still got the best riders in the world trying to win a race. Sure, the strategy for winning a sprint is going to be different from the strategy for winning a full distance race, but that's as much part of racing as anything else.

The moment everyone else decides they don't care about winning the sprint race it's fair to say it's not really a win.

backho and Gorilla George like this.
  14. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Make the sprint a full length race… simple solution!

15. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Don't think the riders would survive that.

16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I don't even know why this is a discussion. GP is short for Grand Prix, which means great prize.

Binder did not win the great prize this weekend, he won a little one. Problem solved.

17. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Keep MM away!

18. :stupid:

IMO, the number of laps is irrelevant. Everyone did the same number of laps, in the same conditions. If you finished first, that is a win.

Saying it doesn’t count as a win is nonsense IMO. It doesn’t matter if it is 12 laps, 25 laps, or 50 laps. You train, develop the bike, strategize, and race accordingly. If you finished first, then it is a win.

I think this sprint race is awesome, especially because many times MotoGP gets boring after the halfway point.

19. BigBird

BigBird blah

:stupid:

20. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Because as soon as Ducati is no longer dominating, they'll axe the sprint races. So, they're just temporary.