1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tripping down Memory Lane…

Discussion in 'General' started by pickled egg, Mar 28, 2023.

1. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

TL;DR: fuck off, it’s a good story :moon:

So me and the kids are in Wischeezland Dells for a couple days of spring break entertainment.

Sitting in the hotel room, suddenly I get a hankering for one of my favorite snacks as a kid: Ritz crackers with pimiento cheese spread.

Find the local grocery store. It’s a fucking IGA. There was an IGA in my hometown growing up, and it was the only mayonnaise my mother would buy (because my finicky as fuck father apparently only liked IGA mayonnaise). So we roam the aisles, long shot, I know, of finding such a thing after having not seen it in probably 35 years. Ask the oldest looking dude wearing a staff shirt, he says he remembers it but hasn’t seen it in years. Que sera, I’m in fucking Wischeezland, let’s see if they have any other decent cheesy things to put on a Ritz cracker. Meh. Nothing jumps out at me so I just get some assorted cheese slices to munch on.

Find the IGA mayo and send a pic of it to my mother. Ask her about pimiento cheese spread. She hasn’t seen it in years either.

Using the gooooooogle, find out Kraft is still making it. Further down the page I see an article saying it’s a “southern thing”.

So, all you traitorous drawlers down in the winters don’t suck but fuck summertime region, is this shit still on the shelves down there?

I just might have to make a trip…

2. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Yes. But ain’t seenta IGA in years!

pickled egg likes this.
  3. lightning97

lightning97 Well-Known Member

don't know about Kraft but there is plenty of pimento cheese spread down here in Louisiana.

pickled egg likes this.
  4. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Cool story, bro :D

969 and pickled egg like this.
  5. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Every last dollar store and corner grocery has copious amounts of pimento cheese spread. It's a regular cornucopia overflowing with cholesterol and arterial maladies. I did not realize that our benighted northern neighbors were subject to such gustatory repression.

CBRRRRR999 and pickled egg like this.
  6. nigel smith

You know, I'm salivating just thinking about it. Back in ten minutes.

KneeDragger_c69 and pickled egg like this.
  7. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

That's if you don't keel over from a coronary after eating it.

Razr and pickled egg like this.
  8. pickled egg

Gawdammit!

Original plan was to road trip to the Big Easy, but the weather report looked like shit and sitting in a hotel watching rain drip down the windows seemed like a less than prudent use of time and money.

But now I know when I do finally drag these monstrous bratlings kicking and screaming down on the bayou, we’ll have something tasty to snarf on. :D

9. pickled egg

Same here. ‘Bout shit my pants when I saw that.

But the nostalgia and reminiscing with mi madre was the coolest part of it all.

KneeDragger_c69 and RRP like this.
  10. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

Still on the shelves here in Greater Cincy land. at least south of the river. PM me an address and I will send you some.

11. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Last night I went tripping down mammary lane :D

weber#465, dobr24, 969 and 1 other person like this.
  12. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Would also like to know good resource for pimento cheese that you can purchase. There is a wonderful wine bar in NYC that serves snacks and one of them is pimento cheese. Had never had it before, very tasty. Purchased in grocery store, yick.

ToofPic likes this.
  13. nigel smith

If ever there was a good question for that chatbot thing, here it is. Someone ask it for a dissertation on pimento cheese.

14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

See if you can order Palmetto Cheese, made in SC. It is damned good. They make at lease 3 versions...conventional, with bacon bits, with jalapeno bits, and a pepperjack version that I just tried for the first time yesterday. All of them are good.

DmanSlam and Norton 357 like this.
  15. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

Pimento cheese is a religion unto itself in the south.

Some friends of ours have a cottage on one of the lakes near Lac du Flambeau. When we have been up there I haven’t seen pimento cheese, but the cracker topper of choice I do remember was a port wine cheese spread stuff. Seems like very grocery store up there had it. Anything to encourage more beer or wine consumption.

16. Greg ZX6R

Greg ZX6R Well-Known Member

Don't remember the one in downtown Deale, circa 1990?

britx303 likes this.
  17. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Sure. Here is a dissertation on pimento cheese:

Pimento cheese is a popular Southern dish made with cheddar cheese, pimiento peppers, and mayonnaise. It is often served on crackers or sandwiches, and it can also be used as a dip or spread.

The history of pimento cheese is unclear, but it is believed to have originated in the early 20th century. The first mention of pimento cheese in print was in a 1902 cookbook, and it quickly became a popular dish in the South.

Pimento cheese is a versatile dish that can be made with a variety of ingredients. The most common ingredients are cheddar cheese, pimiento peppers, and mayonnaise. However, other ingredients can also be added, such as bacon, garlic, onions, and herbs.

Pimento cheese is a popular dish for a variety of reasons. It is easy to make, it is delicious, and it is a versatile dish that can be served on a variety of occasions.

Here is a recipe for pimento cheese:

Ingredients:

• 1 pound cheddar cheese, grated
    • 1 jar pimiento peppers, drained and chopped
    • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
    • 1/4 cup milk
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    Instructions:

1. Combine the cheese, peppers, mayonnaise, milk, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.
    2. Mix well until the cheese is melted and the ingredients are well-combined.
    3. Serve on crackers, sandwiches, or as a dip.
    This recipe makes about 2 cups of pimento cheese. It can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.

Yzasserina likes this.
  18. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Wait, y’all ain’t got pimento cheese up in almost Canada? Shit, every grocery store here has half an aisle dedicated to the varieties of it and half the restaurants around here serve some sort of dish with it. Local barbecue joint does a pimento cheese sammich with smoked sausage that’s pretty tits.

19. pickled egg

Very generous of you, thank you…

But getting a care package defeats the purpose of planning a journey and dragging the wee lasses along. They gotta see the world beyond the boxes from Amazon. ;)

Thank you so much for the offer.

20. pickled egg

That’s umm, unfortunate that your moobs interfere with you walking. :D

969 likes this.