1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Indian Street Tracker coming next year!

Discussion in 'General' started by scottn, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Bugslayer

Bugslayer Well-Known Member

I will keep that under advisement Stick.

Price wise it was listed at MSR. 14k. The usual freight and set up pushed it up another grand.
    Bottom line 5,500 and the Honda OTD.
    I'm happy with the deal.

Now, waiting for a weather window.

Or, put it and the wife's bike in the trailer and go find some nicer weather.

Once a Wanker.., 418 and stickboy274 like this.
  2. backbone

backbone scarred for life

My kid has an FTR1200r with the Ohlins and that thing is awesome. We ridden it a couple times on track and was surprisingly agile and turned some impressive lap times for not really trying hard.

He just had a daughter a few months ago and is selling it if anyone is interested.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  3. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

IRC QS/auto-blipper

4. gapman789

Went to the local Indian dealer today to see them in person....The first thing i noticed when sitting on a '23 Carbon was how flat the tank (air box cover) is with the seat. I"m used to my junk being crammed up against the gas tank.

The clutch pull is the easiest/smoothest i've ever felt. Hardly any resistance at all. Like pulling a front brake with nothing but air in the lines.

I don't know if the $4000 price difference is worth it for the Carbon over the base to me....I wasn't a fan of the silver/grey rims on it. I think black would look better. They're almost at 'white' rim level of dislike that GG has. :)

I think i'd be better served with a used '22 Carbon or Sport $$ wise. I think I prefer the look of the 19/18 wheels on the '22 Championship edition (or any of the pre-'22 bikes). Not sure I need the added performance that the 17"s would offer, I have the Tuono for that shit.

And how long do you guys let a salesman talk as if you've never been on a motorcycle before? I knew more about the 5-6 FTR's on display than he did...He literally said after I explained the '22 and '23 differences to him, ' I think i need to read up on the FTR's'.

Then came the 'the FTR has 125 HP, the best sounding exhaust you'll ever hear, these bikes will keep up with sportbikes on the backroads, etc.'

At that point i had to tell him i have a 175 HP Tuono and 201 HP RSV4 and he's probably never heard an Aprilia V4 at full sing. :cool:

03RumbleBee likes this.
  5. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

Sorry for the delay in response! It's been pretty wild with the holidays and getting caught up at work. I absolutely love the FTR. In two seasons I have put on 13,500 miles and have enjoyed every single one. Certainly enjoyed them more after switching out the OEM Dunlop tires for a set of Pirelli Scorpion Trail II.

I can't stop to fill up, which happens all the time since the range is only about 110 or so miles, without someone coming up to me and asking questions, or telling me how much they like it. It's interesting how the cruiser guys come up and love that it is a v-twin Indian and the sport bike guys come up and love the steel trellis frame and chain drive on an Indian. My wife says it is one of the "prettiest and sexiest" (her words) bikes she's ever seen in person.

The Racefit exhaust I have is loud, there's no two ways about that, but I absolutely love it. With a custom tune and K&N air filter I have been able to really smooth out some of the throttle choppiness that plagued the first models. It is a pleasure to ride.

Freeway speeds can get tiring without a front fairing, but I have logged many freeway miles without issue. I live in Hanover, PA and work in Frederick, MD and my daily commute is about 110 miles round trip on 55 MPH farm back roads with some fun twisty sections. This bike couldn't be a better fit for that type of riding.

I've had passengers (read attractive women) on the back many times for distances of a few miles to 100 miles. For the passenger, it is just slightly more comfortable than a typical sport bike due to the high and small pillion seat. Also the right passenger peg sits on the exhaust, which will slowly numb their foot due to the vibration of the 1200cc twin. Not as comfortable for the passenger as the Hypermotard I came from, but more comfortable than your standard 600cc.

I went with the base model of the first release for many reasons. The black on black on black with the analog speedo single pod was the sexiest look to me. The fact that I got it for $9k delivered to my front door with 0 miles as a two year old leftover still in the crate was also a big plus. lol In my opinion the only real advantage in going with the higher end S or Carbon models would be the suspension and on the fly mode selection. With that being said, I don't miss out on any of that with mine. It has ABS, very limited traction control and the suspension works as you would imagine for a base model. Since I use it as a commuter and weekend toy, it's perfect. Down the line when I end up redoing the forks I'll switch the internals out for something higher end, same with the rear shock.

All in all, I love it. You never see them on the road, people are drawn to it, it really rips when you address the stock tune and it's just one of those bikes that put a smile on your face when you're riding and when it's standing still.

Hope that helps!

03RumbleBee likes this.
  6. Chris

Also, one of the best modifications I did to the bike right out of the gate was ditching the OEM levers and getting a set of aftermarket folding levers.

7. gapman789

@Chris.....That's pretty much spot on what other peoples opinions of the bike are. Very few complaints....fuel mileage, jerky fueling on the earlier years, no storage space at all, bad battery life.

So how did you tune yours? PV3 + dyno tune?....Lloydz?....

2019 base, $11k, 713 miles. They are so good looking.

indian ftr2.jpg

Last edited: Jan 11, 2023
    Chris likes this.
  8. Chris

Here's a quick rundown of what I've done so far: Racefit exhaust, K&N filter, PV3 + fuel moto tune, Raximo levers, tidy tail plate relocator, Powerbronze rear tire hugger, Pirellis, lithium ion battery and threw on some Vans grips which I love.

The only "issues" I have are the small fuel tank/range, which is mounted under the seat for you non FTR guys, the complete lack of storage and the OEM fuel cap. The OEM cap always hangs up when trying to lock/unlock. Can't wait for a good aftermarket solution, preferably non-locking, to come to market. The lack of storage is somewhat understandable considering the size of the motor and the compactness of the bike.

[​IMG]

03RumbleBee and gapman789 like this.