1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

workplace retaliation question….

Discussion in 'General' started by cortezmachine, Dec 20, 2022.

1. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

So I turned down the management position and took medical leave in November for bad ass gallstones and an associated GI bleed. I started back to work last Monday. Before starting I called and asked them if there was still room for me at that shop and if not I could transfer to another one of our facilities. They said yeah sure come on back. well since I’ve been back I’ve been assigned ZERO vehicles in the 8 working days I’ve been clocked in. I get a prevailing wage of 30 an hour for the time I’m here. So basically they are paying me to stand around, but I am watching every other tech pull cars in and out of their stall and we work on commission so I usually gross about 2500-3k per week. I approached my manager and asked him (nicely) if they were planning on letting me go, and if that was the case just tell me straight so I can look for another job. It’s not like I can’t find a job literally the same day in my industry. He’s told me 3 times now that he’s going to be assigning me work (I’ve only approached him the once) and then I watch other techs pull in more and more work.

what’s my move? Do I even have once since I technically am getting paid?

2. tdoss1980

tdoss1980 Well-Known Member

Its sad, sounds like they are starving you out the door but wont come out and say it, because if you quit they dont have to pay unemployment.

3. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

or get sued.

but even if they’re starving me out isnt that workplace discrimination of some sort?

4. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I’ve never understood the unemployment deal. If someone isn’t working out, they are gone, I don’t care about my unemployment rate going up.

On another note, if you can go make 3k a week somewhere else and you are making 1200 a week here, why haven’t you left already?

mattys281-2, RonR and KneeDragger_c69 like this.
  5. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

I don’t even care about unemployment. I wouldn’t even collect it. Like I said I can have a job yesterday. I actually have a standing offer to go manage a shop in Burbank that works on higher end cars for really good money.
    But I like working for this company and my fiancé works for them now at a different location. I’m sitting here just spinning my wheels.

6. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Sounds like there's no longer any trust. Leave. Don't look back.

7. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

My guess is that it would be considered an unfair labor practice. In order to go to the labor relations board you would need document the amount of work the other techs are getting and what you are getting. Document by name, type of vehicle and type of job. You might also want to document the backlog of vehicles waiting for repair when you are not being assigned any work. You may want to notify your supervisor of the data you are taking to the labor relations board so they can either make it right with you or so they can fire you. I think you are in a position to get compensated for money you should have made if they had assigned you the jobs you should have had.
    Don't forget that you can still collect unemployment if you quit, as long as it is for a good reason.

8. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

All of that is documented in their software system and they cant delete it.

9. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

There are plenty of ways to handle this. Not all are the right way.

10. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Life is too short. If you are not happy move the fuck on with your life.

Unless you have a legitimate contract, suing the company makes you the douchebag. Fwiw that is coming from a business owner in a right to work state that can fire you without cause.

11. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

That is why you need to document it yourself, including RO #s that are assigned to other techs. Let them try and explain all the missing ROs to the State.
    I think your best move is to let them know that they need to do something or you can escalate this into a shitshow that corporate won't want any part in. Does your supervisor's boss know about this? Go over all of their haeds if you need to as long as you have hard data in hand.

12. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

*cant

13. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Upper decker the shitter, then bounce.

Gorilla George and evakat like this.
  14. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

No, but what you described is why I have a resignation for cause clause in my last few employment agreements.

15. Itey

Itey Well-Known Member

So then bounce man. Why would you want the drama.

Gorilla George likes this.
  16. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

yeah and I’d say I offered them that fig leaf when I asked them what the deal was.

17. Itey

Itey Well-Known Member

Ooof, hope that keeps you warm at night.

18. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Damnit haha

19. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

You have a LOT of drama/chaos in your life....